How to reapply stickers

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

How to reapply stickers

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:03 pm

I don't know if there was already a topic on this, but I skimmed through a few pages and didn't see one.
Anyway, I was just wondering what a good way would be to reattach stickers that have come off a gun. So far my guns still have all the stickers, but the stickers on some of my older guns (XP 35 and CPS 2500) are starting to peal off. I just want to know if there is a specific way to reattach them before I use my fall back method, for every thing, which would be to just drown them in hot glue.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

martianshark

Re: How to reapply stickers

Post by martianshark » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Use some sort of glue. Hot glue will probably work, but do it quickly and don't use too much.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:14 am

I used plain old scotch tape to close up peely sections of stickers on a number of blasters. They've actually held up surprisingly well but ofcourse, is still only a temporary solution.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:26 am

I used to do the same as CA99, but these days, I've found that a good, clear packing tape works much better and should last longer than good ol' scotch tape. For truly problematic stickers, I opt for really covering the entire sticker with a new outer layer of packing tape, even in the places that have no yet begun to peel. The key to success is to really avoid trapping air bubbles and flattening the newly applied tape as much as possible.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:39 pm

I tried my hot glue idea on the XP 35, it worked OK to get the edge that was pealing down, but not as good as I hoped. That's why I tested it on that gun first. I think I will have my mom try the tape idea on my CPS 2500, I'm not to good with delicate tape operations like that which is why I wanted to try the glue gun. The glue gun still looks better then the pealing sticker did, but up close it bumps out a little. I think it dried to fast, before I could flatten it well, why can't it dry that fast when modding Nerf guns?!? I have to sit there blowing on it before I can do the next step!
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:56 pm

I would not use hot glue because it can deform the plastic. This rarely happens on thicker CPS plastic when you use the glue sparingly, but I've seen it happen with nerf guns. Cool it off quickly or use a low temp glue gun. Hot glue's bond is also easily broken unless you use a shit ton. It does not hold well in cooler weather or with direct contact. 2 sided tape will work for a while, is flat, and unseen behind the sticker.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

carbonate

Post by carbonate » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:54 pm

I was wondering if you can remake the decals... Scan my old falling apart ones, Photoshop it, print it off on a new sheet of waterproof stickers, cut it up and stick em on... I don't know if I would have time to make new stickers though...

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Most of the remaining stickers that are on my blasters are either torn up. Most stickers on everything are missing, so I generally don't bother. I'm the type who goes for function over form and have mostly given up with dealing with stickers anyway.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:40 am

I like to take stickers off my guns, paint them, and then put the stickers on over the paint job haha.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 pm

The hot glue idea didn't work to well afterwards, my friend and I had a small skirmish to test out my new WW Crickets, he used the XP 35 and I noticed the sticker is already coming off again. Oh well, guess I will have to try the tape method.

I prefer function over looks any day. If the gun can shoot 50 feet I don't care if it's Barbie pink, I'd buy it! But I like to have both when I can, and keeping the stickers I find is an easy part of that thought.