semi working xp70, mds,ect...

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Stuff&Nonsense

semi working xp70, mds,ect...

Post by Stuff&Nonsense » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:30 pm

Okay lets start, the xp70 shoots when pumped, we (me and my older brother)opened it, but it doesn't open fully so we left it alone.
we also have a multi directional system with out the turning thing; no it isn't a ss60 albeit they are practically the same. the turning thing can't be found (lost in the basement.) would their be an alternative?

we also own a xxp175 with a broken pump. would epoxy fix this? if so how long?

Help not required but appreciated.
we like new super soakers, try to beat us with that ancient thing! ==> :soakthemall: <==ancient THIS!!

martianshark

Re: semi working xp70, mds,ect...

Post by martianshark » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:17 pm

I'm not completely sure what you mean. Most guns don't open all the way because of the pump cap glued on. You'll have to try to pry it or saw it off or something, which may ruin its look but at least you can fix it now. By the way, what's the problem with it? Are you saying the XP 70 squirts out water when you're pumping it?

What do you mean by turning thing? Could you post a picture?

Assuming the pump rod on your XXP 175 is cracked off, you probably can't fix that with epoxy. But you might be able to replace the pump if you're smart enough. Get an old broken gun that you don't care about, find some sort of pipe that it fits in, cut the pipe the length of the pump, and attatch your new pump onto the XXP 175. I hear this gun is kinda valuable, so do what you can to fix it.

It helps to know how a water gun works, so if you don't know, study how water guns work at iSoaker.com and on Super Soaker Central.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

Stuff&Nonsense

Post by Stuff&Nonsense » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:56 pm

The xp70 is my brother's gun. It shoots immediately after being pumped, as if the trigger is always being pulled. He tried opening it, but when he discovered how strongly the casing was glued together in areas, he didn't want to risk snapping the casing. He won't allow me to saw parts off.

With the MDS the swivel handle is broken off.

On the xxp175 the pump isn't broken off. It's just cracked. It will probably break off if it's used any more. I was wondering if I could seal the crack with epoxy or if there was some other quick fix.
we like new super soakers, try to beat us with that ancient thing! ==> :soakthemall: <==ancient THIS!!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:11 am

That might be fixable then. Put a wooden dowel in the pump and use some epoxy to reenforce it.

A broken XP 70 is pointless. You might as well saw it open and try to fix it.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

Stuff&Nonsense

Post by Stuff&Nonsense » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:44 am

Well the xp70 is his gun,I still can't damage it.

I'm also happy that the xxp175 can be fixed. I will try reinforcing with a PVC pipe.

Thank you for contributing!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:41 am

Welcome to the forums, Stuff&Nonsense!

Looks like martianshark covered the basics of what can be done. Regarding your SS MDS, if you can post pics of the broken area, if you wish to, there may be ways to attach a new wooden dowel or something else to work in place of the original swivel handle. Granted, if you still have the original handle, depending on how it broke, you may also be able to reattach it and reinforce the connections using epoxy and short bits of metal wire (actual wire, opened paperclips, etc. are all great sources of reinforcing material)

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:56 pm

I can just agree with martianshark. A broken XP 70 is even worse then a ugly looking but working gun! And there is always a way to open a gun, just be careful enough and you can open it without optical damages.

I suggest to get all screwls out and pos pictures of the places where the casing is glued together. This will help us imagine the problem. Furthermore you can put in a sharp blade between the two casing parts, wherever you can put it in and then you just push the blade forward, keeping it between the two casing parts, till the cases are seperated. You can also try to heat the glue before doing this.

And once again, keep in mind that a broken gun, you just leave lying around anywhere, is the most useless thing you can have! If the whole casing breaks down you can still use the inner mechanics and make a great homemade! But here I am SURE you can open the gun without destroying all. Just follow my introductions, post some images and ask for further help, we are here to help :)

Good luck

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:13 pm

When fixing pump rods, only the inside can be reinorced, otherwise it will not fit. In extreme cases, you may want to replace the entire pump rod, while keeping the seal. (Pump seals are a real pain to make; avoid having to make them if possible.)

Before removing the screws, bust out the caps that are attached. Some can be unscrewed but most have to be pried out. Almost all of the time, prying them out still leaves them intact and able to go on the blaster. The reason I suggest doing this before removing screws is to avoid having them pop around. What I usually do is leave the screws in their casing anyhow, so that I don't have to figure out which screw goes where afterwards.

For your trigger problem, you need to wrap rubber bands around the pin on the pull valve.

If possible, let your brother know that there's nothing to lose. The blaster is useless until repaired anyhow.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Stuff&Nonsense

Post by Stuff&Nonsense » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Yeah, I think I know what I'm going to do.

Thanks for helping!