BROKEN CPS 1500

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
blasterboy

BROKEN CPS 1500

Post by blasterboy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:52 am

Hi everyone
I have got a broken cps 1500 and wondered if anyone could help
When I pump water comes straight out of the nozzle without me holding the trigger.
I understand that this is quite a rare water gun and would not like to see it go.
I think that the valve to let the water out is broken, but I can not be sure of this because I cannot open it up as the screws have rusted.
I really do not want to see arguably the best water gun ever go to waste!
Any help would be much appreciated.
:cps1500: <- This should be me!

TacticalTyphoon

Re: BROKEN CPS 1500

Post by TacticalTyphoon » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:30 am

Can you hear a rattling when you move/shake the blaster? Sounds like the spring behind the trigger may have come loose, and now the blaster is stuck on firing.

I'm afraid that if this is the case, you'll have to open it up to put the spring back.

blasterboy

Post by blasterboy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:20 am

Thanks for your help!
I have given it a shake, I hear no rattling but when I pull the trigger, the spring is definately there as the trigger pops out again. It is very easy to pull back the trigger, there is almost no resistance at all. When I pull it, I feel and hear nothing to indicate the the valve to let out the water has opened.

blasterboy

Post by blasterboy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:52 am

[EDIT]
When I pull the trigger, I hear and feel nothing to indicate that the valve to let out the water has opened or closed. Does this mean that the valve is somehow open at all times?
Also, Does anyone know how to open a cps 1500 with rusty/chewed up screws?

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:45 am

Yes, I think the valve is probably stuck open. This is a common problem with Max-D blasters. I've already had that problem with my Arctic Blast.(I fixed it, but it's still kinda faulty.) I don't know what to do about rusty screws however. You could try vinegar, it might dissolve the rust, but I'm not sure whether or not it will damage the blaster itself.

Tell you what, Google it, and try to find a guide on how to fix rusty screws.

Edit: I know it's irrelevant, I was just saying the same thing often happens to MD triggers. Which is the only type of blaster I have ever opened.
Last edited by SEAL on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:11 pm

This is irrelevant to Max-D blasters however, because the firing valve is a pull valve, not a ball valve.

You've got a common poblem for a rare blaster. The problem is indeed that the valve is getting stuck open because the spring inside has worn out.

Of course, you do have to open up the blaster but the screws are stripped and no matter what you try you cannot get them open. Generally, the last resort is to take a drill and bust up the head of the screw. If you choose to do this, pick the smallest drill bit possible and be careful not to accidently drill into the plastic. (You will know if you have if the drill suddenly moves very easily; thats when you need to step back and adjust your handling of the drill. A drill press may not be a bad idea if you happen to have access to one but the working surface may be awkward.) There may be other solutions out there for stripped screws but the only means most people have is to drill right through them. Don't worry too much though; if all the holes for the screw stay intact, chances are that you can remove what's left of the screw from the hole (by using pliers to unscrew it) and replace it with a new screw. This is only needed if the screw is occupying an important position, such as a nozzle selector. (Which is a VERY bad place to have a screw fail.)

Aside from screws, you have pump and nozzle caps to deal with. First, check if these items can be unthreaded by turning them counter-clockwise (as you would with a screw). If not, you should be able to use pliers or two flathead screwdrivers to pry them off. Be sure not to miss any screws that may be covered by the nozzle cap, and be careful not to damage anything. Of course, be sure no screws are on the nozzle itself. (Which I believe none are for the CPS 1500; I never handled one before.)

Now that the water gun's open, you have two choices. The target is the firing valve on the front of the blaster close to the nozzle. Take as many as the best rubber bands you can find (two to three are good) and wrap them around the back of the pin. This pin, as you'll notice, is connected to the trigger and gets pulled everytime you pull the trigger, which opens the valve inside. (Garden hose sprayers use a similar valve.) It should be possible to wrap the rubber bands around the front of the internals so that it has a place to hold, while part of the rubber band reaches around to the pin.

The second solution is less common but sometimes, in rare cases, rubber bands don't work so well. This method involves putting a small compression spring (found at the hardware store or from compression spring packs) behind the pin, but you'll need to improvise and find a place for it to hold. Usually, when using this method is a good idea, the PC case will provide a good starting point for the spring to rest. However, it will more likely than not be too short and will require a small flat piece (such as a small metal or plastic piece that's flat) to help the spring stay on.

This article provides a good overview of the rubber band method along with some pictures.

Good luck with the repair.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

blasterboy

Post by blasterboy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your help I will give it a try this week sometime.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Also, if you completely fail at fixing it, some of the parts in it are still useful, such as the pressure chamber.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:38 am

Well obviously the only problem here is the firing valve so if somehow it breaks beyond repairability, it's possible to replace it. There's a perfectly working pump, reservoir, and other parts left even if the valve becomes unrepairable.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

blasterboy

Post by blasterboy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:36 am

I had not thought about keeping the parts if they still worked, I guess I could make my own soaker. This week I am going to drill out the screws and look inside. Also, the part above the firing nozzle which changes nozzle from 5x to 10x is extremely stiff. It broke whilst I was changing nozzle and I had to glue is back on. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

blasterboy

Post by blasterboy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi everyone
I have finally fixed it!
Thanks for all of your help, it was very useful!
After drilling the screws I found that the pivot and the part which open the valve was very rusty and stiff.
I simply put some oil on it, gave it a wiggle it the valve closed nicely now! Unfortunately I have now got to find some more screws though.
:cps1500: <- This is me!!! THe water gun is amazing! Thanks everyone!

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Well it just occured to me that I never tried lubricating those pull valves to get them to work. I only did that for ball valves. I'll have to keep this in mind next time I deal with a broken CPS.

If your 1500 has any more problems afterwards, adding rubber bands should fix the problem.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

MaDD-MaXStaR

Post by MaDD-MaXStaR » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:13 pm

This is a common problem, I had it on my CPS1500 and 1700 as well, many many many many moons ago.

On mine I had to break off the nozzle cap to get the soaker open. To this day, the cap is cracked on the side and has a metal bolt holding in place.
-=Take NO Pris....what the heck am I saying?