Water Warriors cheep cap alternatives?

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Hppyryry

Water Warriors cheep cap alternatives?

Post by Hppyryry » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:03 pm

I picked up a WW Splat blaster, for fun in small wars. I open the box, looks great! Clean, unique pump style, wow a strap! What the...? The cap is some sorry excuse for a milk jug top. Filled up, the gun leaks slowly. I was hopping to use this blaster as a stylish back up in small wars but with this cap...im not sure how much water will even be left in the tank buy the time my main is out of water!

Any sugestions would be helpful. The gun lacks alot of power and doesnt hold a ton, but would still be fun if the cap could be swaped out for any thing really.

Hppyryry
(Hydro Blitz destroyer) :(

Silence

Re: Water Warriors cheep cap alternatives?

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:32 pm

Hmm...looking at iSoaker's review, I see what you mean.

This might sound goofy, but a wide rubber cork or stopper might do the trick. You can cut a thinner disk if it's too bulky at first, and maybe even glue it to the inside of the cap they provide.

If that doesn't feel robust enough, you could epoxy a wide PVC male adapter around the opening and use a female threaded PVC endcap to close it off, as in a multiple nozzle mod. That may look weird though.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:56 pm

The cork is a somewhat common replacement for lost caps and backpack attachments. However, it won't work for water guns w/ a pressurized reservoir. (unless you're trying to shoot the cork or something) You will want to drill a very small hole into the cork for venting, otherwise the reservoir will deflate if the cork is sealing well. (then again, that small hole may leak as well, the only perfect method is an improvised custom built rubber and spring dongle of some sort to plug up a hole, or a check valve.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Hppyryry

Post by Hppyryry » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:05 am

The gun isnt your typical air pressure system, id say more of a spring loaded set up? Im going to try to find a cork/rubber piece big enough and try that first. Im guessing any large Home depo or equivalant will have an answer.

Why am I putting time into this blaster..... :oo:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:43 am

Yup, it's similar to many nerf guns, load and shoot. Consequentially, it doesn't have too much power. To find a cork, you'll need to measure the diameter (in inches fractions) of the hole, then go for the right stopper. Stoppers should have 3 dimensions: 2 diameters and length but I bet they have different ways of measuring it. Ways that take less numbers but provide less info at the same time.

But actually, I think you have another option. If you can find some kind of rubber seal to put around the cap, that could work, similar to how seals are used on better water guns. However, it'd probably be very difficult to find a good seal (even if you used O-rings), so you could experiment with electrical tape instead.

Your last point is also important. Don't bust your ass on this thing if there are other more important blasters needing attention.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Hppyryry

Post by Hppyryry » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:03 pm

Sweetness....i found a rubber sink plug 1 3/8 that fits snug enough around and over the top. No more leaks! $1.36 fix
Thanks to all for the ideas and input. Im thinking of opening it up and seeing if theres a way to add a bit more power now.
I dont know what it is, but these shotgun blasters keep me wanting to make modifications :goofy:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:53 pm

Sound perfect. I didn't even imagine you'd find something that fit so well. Nice. :)

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:27 pm

For guns like that, you may not be able to make much power improvements. Perhaps you could add a spring or replace it, but that can only get so far, especially if internal design limits the power of such springs. (due to risk of breakage) If successful anyway, I doubt it could improve power by too much.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare