Speedloader 1500 pics: internals and size comparison!

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Rover

Speedloader 1500 pics: internals and size comparison!

Post by Rover » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Once again, I'm back with more soaker images to add to the gallery:
For the full size images visit: http://s510.photobucket.com/albums/s349/rogbert_photo/
Anyways, all of that aside, this is my new favorite soaker! It's extremely robust and well-constructed, as can be seen by the beefy parts inside. Another awesome feature is the double-barrel construction, allowing either a single stream that feels about 5x, or a double stream that feels more like a 10x. I've noted that the ranges on this soaker are about 5 feet farther than that of my cps 1200 and about 8 feet further than my 4100, which was quite a suprise! I'll be posting a detailed benchmark in the reviews section, so don't fret with my unscientific calculations. Also, the best part was the price: $4 on craigslist (of course S&H brought it to about $16 but still!)
Last edited by Rover on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun

Re: Speedloader 1500 pics: internals and size comparison!

Post by Sun » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:35 pm

OMG!!! You have a speedloader! I was so hyped about them back then, but then again, I w as only five...
:( :( :(

Rover

Post by Rover » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Lol, don't fret! I've got a home-made speedloader gun in the works! I plan on making a pistol size, rifle size, and a backpack size (a la Powerpak). I'm still undecided on making a trigger valve for them though. I refuse to use ball valves because I need triggers on my water blasters, so I'm making plans to construct my own out of polycarbonate sheets, a bandsaw, and a lot of time. I may end up using CAD for this part. Anyways, thats my project for next summer, so keep your eyes peeled!

Sun

Post by Sun » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:46 pm

Good luck with making that trigger! :cool:

Rover

Post by Rover » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:55 pm

It seems to be like the only part not easily reproduced. The only problem I could see is getting it to hold up under pressure. I'm really not sure how I could make a valve that won't leak at ~35 psi. Luckily, I've got loads of experience with Nerf modifications that were arguably more complex, so I'll manage something workable! Anyways, If anyone wants to know what sort of thing I had in mind for the frame and trigger pieces, take a look at the Nerf homemade "+bow".

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:45 am

Great pics and looking forward to learning more stats and such on this particular blaster. The Speed Loader series was an interesting one, but it also came out during a time my own cash flow was limited, thus preventing me from really exploring that line of blasters.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Rover

Post by Rover » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Ok, I've got some more solid info on this blaster:
Pc capacity- 925 ml

Output of single stream- 87.76 ml per second
Shot time on single stream- 10.54 seconds
Flat range of single stream- 30.8 feet
Angled range of single stream- 38.9 feet

Output of double stream- 173.87 ml per second
Shot time on double stream- 5.32 seconds
Flat range of double stream- 28.8 feet
Angled range of double stream- 38.9 feet

All ranges are to the middle of the puddle- last drop was ~3-4 feet further. I chose the spots in the middle of the puddle because they represent where almost all of the payload can be counted on to reach the target. Also, the gun seems to shoot a bit better than my cps 1200, although this may not go for everyone because both of my blasters were purchased secondhand with unknown amounts of use.

The thing limiting range is the coherency of the stream. At the max range it looks more like a shotgun spread than a stream, especially on the second nozzle. This is good because saturation on the target will be sadistic, but it feels like there is more power to the streams than the ranges let on. This gun leaves a stinging sensation at close ranges.

Also to be noted is that the pressure release valve is actually on the back of the bladder. It will release all excess water into the internals of the blaster, causing copious amounts of water to drain out of the blaster. This made testing a bit messy :goofy:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:13 pm

@Rover:

If you're set on building your own firing valve I'd suggest getting access to a good machine shop (with much more than saws) and practicing a lot. It's not as easy as you might think to make your own firing valve. Since you're familiar with the +Bow you might know about how much trouble CaptainSlug went through to get a reliably working valve for another Nerf gun he built called the ABP5K. I think he was on his 11th valve when he lost it on a bus. And he has experience.

I made my own Nerf valve with two off-the-shelf valves that was very efficient. While it is a somewhat expensive combination when compared against the price of the plastic to make one valve, factoring in effort, practice runs, failures, etc. into the price, it's cheaper unless you're a master machinist. Not surprisingly, when I posted about it at NerfHaven CaptainSlug said he'd use it in his next Nerf gun.

Also, CaptainSlug himself suggested not making a pressure vessel from plastic sheeting/parts unless you know how to calculate a pressure rating for that vessel. From what I know that usually is junior or senior level mechanical engineering, so it's not something I'd be familiar with yet. I assume something with a thickness of 1/4 inch or more in PVC, ABS, or polycarbonate would be fine given that you don't make a flat portion with too much surface area (I'd imagine it'd stretch out from the center). Just something to keep in mind.

Edit: 10/22/08

Actually, looking at the syllabus in one of my classes, we'll cover basic pressure vessels later this semester. So you only have to wait until your sophomore year of college to learn how to design a pressure vessel.
Last edited by SSCBen on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rover

Post by Rover » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:11 pm

Ben, you essentially summed up my thoughts on the matter. I am in fact familiar with CaptainSlug's ABP5k. I readily admit I may not be up to making such a complicated piece just yet. In fact, I'm ready to scrap the idea, after seeing JlSpacemarine's homemade powerpak blaster replacement. I think that I could construct a "cleaner" version using plastic sheets for the frame of the blaster as mentioned before. I'd also love to try my hand at using a LPD system for the backpack portion rather than CPS.
edit- To some of the more technologically minded members out there (Ben :D ), would it be possible to make a blaster like the Speedloader1.5k incorporate a pressurized backpack portion? Let me explain myself further: would it be possible to affix tubing to the rear portion of the CPS bladder that could exit the casing of the blaster via a carefully drilled hole in the rear of the soaker and attaches to a backpack containing an additional cps chamber(s)? It would take a bit longer to fill using the hose, but it'd fix the fatal flaw of this soaker- insufficient shot time for a quickfill dependent blaster.

Captinkill101

Post by Captinkill101 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:21 am

My son was given the speed loader 1500 and looks just like this, My question is how do you load it with water? I have even taken it appart to see?

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:30 am

Captinkill101 wrote:My son was given the speed loader 1500 and looks just like this, My question is how do you load it with water? I have even taken it appart to see?
You need to use a hose and a filling device like in the image below:

Basically, the nozzle of the water blaster goes into the filler and water is forced into the water blaster, filling it. If you are lacking the hose attachment, there may be ways to build a replacement. However, since Speedloaders are no longer made and sold, buying a replacement filler is not likely an option unless you find someone who happens to be selling one.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Captinkill101

Post by Captinkill101 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:57 am

isoaker_com wrote:
Captinkill101 wrote:My son was given the speed loader 1500 and looks just like this, My question is how do you load it with water? I have even taken it appart to see?
You need to use a hose and a filling device like in the image below:

Basically, the nozzle of the water blaster goes into the filler and water is forced into the water blaster, filling it. If you are lacking the hose attachment, there may be ways to build a replacement. However, since Speedloaders are no longer made and sold, buying a replacement filler is not likely an option unless you find someone who happens to be selling one.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

Thanks ... after I posted this my son stuck the hose to the end of it and got it to work... good to know I'm not stupid and we were missing something lol... Thank you very much... we are having a nice day and he wanted to play with it. :cps2000:

Oh I did find a site that had one for sale for $60.00 if anyone wanted to pay that price for it. Me I would never pay that for any water gun! lol

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:16 pm

How in the world did I not see this? You guys are my heroes. This is the blaster that I used in Vermin War I. My friend's dad sorta ran our team and he took my CPS 1000 (the biggest gun we had) and gave it to someone else for some reason and had me use it. I would have rather stuck with my 1000 but the Speed Loader 1500 is a great gun. I will comment on this more later, got some work to do.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.