Monster X/CPS2000 Hybrid problems

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Nick

Monster X/CPS2000 Hybrid problems

Post by Nick » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 am

Ok, so as some of you know I have a Monster X with a CPS 2000 MK2 Pressure chamber in it. Tis a might gun, but the range isn't the same as the 2000's. Second, it's pumping water, as if the valve at the front isn't closing properly. How can I fix this?

SSCBen

Re: Monster X/CPS2000 Hybrid problems

Post by SSCBen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:53 am

It could be a variety of problems. They're all described on this page: http://www.sscentral.org/repairs/nozzle_leaking.html

Usually the "rubber band repair" does the trick but if it doesn't you should open up the valve and take a look at the seal. It might be loose, so the repair would be to glue it back on.

Rover

Post by Rover » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:42 am

Most of the range on the 2k comes from it's nozzle assembly. Its CPS bladder is only slightly more powerful than any of the other ones used by Larami.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:32 pm

Rover wrote:Most of the range on the 2k comes from it's nozzle assembly. Its CPS bladder is only slightly more powerful than any of the other ones used by Larami.
Ahhh. How can I modify the Monster's to give the similar performance? I take it I'm gonna have to cut a few bits of mesh out to get a more coherent stream?

Rover

Post by Rover » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:40 pm

More or less. The cps 2000 uses an interesting sytem of small, drinking straw like tubes arranged in a honeycomb type cluster. A screen is placed on top of this, and then the actual plastic nozzle is above that. This is essential to the laminular behavior of the stream. I suggest checking out this page for all the info you could ever need: http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/cp2000.htm

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:32 pm

Actually, the CPS 2000 has an operating pressure of 45 PSI according to the box. Compare that against 22 to 23 PSI of most other CPS water guns... the pressure is twice as high.

The nozzle assemblies for the CPS 2000, CPS 2500, Monster X, etc., are mostly the same. All have straws and screens. The size of the nozzles would make much more of a difference than the layout of the straws.

Generally it's not a good idea to screw with the mesh screens. I've never read of any significant boost in range but it's very easy to screw things up, so easy that I can't suggest it unless you are doing a repair.

To modify the Monster X to perform like a CPS 2000, it'd be easiest to replace the pressure chamber with a higher pressure one, disable the pressure relief valve, and try different nozzle sizes. Disabling the pressure relief valve removes safety features, so you'd have to be careful not to overpump. I'd suggest first testing the gun with the new PC to see if it'll work without disabling that valve.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 am

Ben wrote:Actually, the CPS 2000 has an operating pressure of 45 PSI according to the box. Compare that against 22 to 23 PSI of most other CPS water guns... the pressure is twice as high.

The nozzle assemblies for the CPS 2000, CPS 2500, Monster X, etc., are mostly the same. All have straws and screens. The size of the nozzles would make much more of a difference than the layout of the straws.

Generally it's not a good idea to screw with the mesh screens. I've never read of any significant boost in range but it's very easy to screw things up, so easy that I can't suggest it unless you are doing a repair.

To modify the Monster X to perform like a CPS 2000, it'd be easiest to replace the pressure chamber with a higher pressure one, disable the pressure relief valve, and try different nozzle sizes. Disabling the pressure relief valve removes safety features, so you'd have to be careful not to overpump. I'd suggest first testing the gun with the new PC to see if it'll work without disabling that valve.
It does work. It sometimes relieves itself of pressure though. Also, it's started pumping water, so will need the rubber band repair. NOW, should I bring my CPS2000 back to life in original shell, or is a CPS2000 in a monster x's body with adjustable nozzles a more potent weapon?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:03 am

I'm not sure what you mean. What works? Did you mean to say the CPS 2000 laminators are better?

If the rubber band repair doesn't work on your hybrid, try putting the pressure chamber back in the CPS 2000 and see if that works.

Rover

Post by Rover » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:45 pm

Personally, I think it's a bit wasteful to part out a 2000 just to get a bit more oomph from your soaker. Try replacing the Monster's bladder with some LRT as per the guides on SSC. This way you can re-assemble your 2k and work on the Monster as a project.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Rover wrote:Personally, I think it's a bit wasteful to part out a 2000 just to get a bit more oomph from your soaker. Try replacing the Monster's bladder with some LRT as per the guides on SSC. This way you can re-assemble your 2k and work on the Monster as a project.
Hmm, not a bad idea. I also have a CPS2500/Monster X hybrid, that has sen some use recently. Performs well actually. But if I could give them all immensely powerful pressure tanks, that'd be good!

Rover

Post by Rover » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:51 pm

I'm sure that can be done. I'd ask one of the people who've done extensive work with LRT for advice on how to go about this.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:53 am

Rover wrote:I'm sure that can be done. I'd ask one of the people who've done extensive work with LRT for advice on how to go about this.
What's LRT?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:29 am

"Latex rubber tubing" (LRT) is the trade name for the type of rubber tubing used in the Super Soakers. The article on PC replacement (with LRT) I linked in my second post here has some information but if you want a primer on LRT read my LRT article.

Since you live in the UK you'd have to do some research to find a distributor of LRT. I live in the US and use McMaster-Carr, a company that only ships to the US. I have been told a good place to get some in Europe is in Germany, but I'd have to do some digging to find specifics.