New to the forums and WTB: PARTS TO A MONSTER XL

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
502mon$terXL

New to the forums and WTB: PARTS TO A MONSTER XL

Post by 502mon$terXL » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:47 am

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but an OG when it comes to Super Soakers.

I recently pulled out my collection and found a XP 105, XXP 175, SC Big Trouble and my prize winner and what I consider my most treasured possession of them all (this includes everything I own, also my car) my Monster XL. I originally bought it at Meijers on clearance for $40 and it was the greatest $40 I ever spent. About a year after purchasing it I retrofitted the front quick fill apparatus with a hose hookup that would constantly stream water into the system and an effective shutoff for releasing pressure.

However, when it emerged from storage it was damaged as the entire quick fill piece had been broken off. There was also substantial damage to the rotating adjustable nozzle (right).

I am looking for either a parts gun (if that is reasonable or feisable) or the parts themselves.

Now I have never repaired a water gun but in recent years I've taken a transmission apart and pretty much got most of it put back together :cool: so I feel I am up to the task. I don't really know what I need for the repair or how to do it but feedback and a parts dealer would be helpful.

I am willing to pay top dollar for good parts or a good parts gun. Particularly I would like a broken one with the parts I need so I won't have to slaughter an endangered species and my gun has sentimental value so I'd like the majority to remain intact.

Thanks guys and best regards

Dwayne Yates, 19 (Louisville, KY - Lexington, KY)

SSCBen

Re: New to the forums and WTB: PARTS TO A MONSTER XL

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:40 am

Unlike cars, with water guns no replacement parts were made so you usually have to fabricate your own parts until someone makes replacements. Someone offering a parts gun is rare but it can happen. I intend to make replacements of a select few parts with stereolithography equipment but that won't happen for a few months at the earliest, and I can't guarantee the parts would be cheap.

Pictures would help greatly with the repair, so if you can get any it would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to explain what you could do if you can't get a scrapped gun.

The quick fill adapter can be replaced with hose couplers available at most home improvement stores in the gardening department. They're basically quick-connects for garden hose. Buy the female part with the check valve (one way valve) , the male part without one, some epoxy putty, and some coarse sandpaper. You'll basically have to open the Monster XL, cut off the quick-fill adapter if it's still partially attached, sand the outside of that pipe and the female quick-connect to roughen it up, and then apply the putty epoxy on both to connect the two solidly.

As for the nozzle selector, you didn't provide much of a description so I don't know what should be done. At worse you could replace it with a PVC adapter and use threaded nozzles, but that option's not as convenient as the working nozzle.

If you want to familiarize yourself with water gun repairs I would suggest checking out this thread here at iSoaker.net for a listing of different repair pages.