help with CPS 3200 - Needs parts etc

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
dobro23

Post by dobro23 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:45 pm

Ok folks, here it is. The quick-connect fitting that attaches my CPS 3200 to the back pack hose is shattered. The valve is shattered on the hose end so the back pack constantly leaks and the fitting will not stay in the gun. I assume that what I need is a new hose assembly of just the fitting itself but had no luck looking for one. Anyone know of a parts source or anything that I can do to re invent it? Maybe someone has a spare out there????? I was considering garden hose fittings but didn't want to make it any worse. Also I want to rig the gun so that one pump pressurizes the whole chamber. I don't have the patience for the 30 pumps that it takes. Anyone try this yet? maybe using Co2? Any ideas or sources; please email to [email]dobro23@hotmail.com.[/email] Thanks.

adam

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:05 pm

Welcome to iSoaker.com!

You could try several things to fix your CPS 3200. I would cut the tubing at the end and attach a tubing barb securely with a tubing clamp. Then, I would open the CPS 3200 and remove the original tube attachment, replacing it with a tubing barb, threaded fitting (both ends) and tubing clamp. This will fix your CPS 3200 and make the connection more secure, but also will make it a little harder to attach and detach.

After the PVC fitting was installed, you could make a homemade QFD with a garden hose fitting that has a 3/4" end to fill up your CPS 3200 with a hose. Be aware however, the CPS 3200 was not designed to operate this way and you can very easily overpressurize your CPS 3200, causing damage to it. There's a reason why the Monster series has the QFD attachment on the front.

If you're wondering, CO2 wouldn't do anything. There's no or very little gas in rubber CPS chambers. You should be able to make a device to use CO2 pressure to push water into the CPS 3200, but that would be just a plain waste of CO2.

Good luck with the repair!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:59 pm

^ Doom did a pretty good job summarizing one way to do a fix.

When it comes to trying to larger volume pumps, it'd be hard to replace a CPS3200's pump with a larger one. A pump capable of pushing ~500mL or more with a single stroke would be much harder to pump as well.

As for the CO2 thoughts, while you might be able to come up with a rig to push water using CO2 pressure into the CPS3200's chamber, if you're willing to go that far, you might as well opt for trying to make a CO2-based homemade instead. There are some other threads both here and at SSCentral regarding various forms of homemades, some of which are designed to use CO2 to fire.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:26 pm

Larger volume pumps are considered from what I know. I once emailed Big Bee about water gun design, and he told me they use hydraulic pump equations to determine how hard pumping will be at certain diameters. Problem is that some people aren't quite as strong as we are and that has to be taken into consideration.

What I don't understand is why manufacturers don't make pumps that work on both strokes like Storm did. Sure, it will make the pump longer than it has to be, but it will cut the number of pumps effectively in half, though the actual work involved would remain the same (only with less strokes).

Manufacturers could also use Frankenbike's idea where there is a smaller diameter pump inside of a larger diameter pump, but that design would only be beneficial in air pressure water guns (or a special type of CPS design I have been working on but am keeping secret). Combining both ideas also wouldn't work unless two different pumps were used, which would make the pumps complicated in use.

I do love low-pump water guns such as the excellent Super Soaker XP 150 and Super Soaker 300, but my younger brother does have problems pumping both of those guns (he has to put it on the ground to pump!). If I professionally manufactured water guns, I'd use large diameter double pumps, but the problem is I don't manufacture water guns professionally! Should we start our own water gun company (not just an amateur homemade shop)? Would make some sense.

In short, manufacturers know how to reduce the number of pumps, but I am not completely sure why they do not. I suppose when you factor in muscle and cost, an easy to pump one makes more money.

If you're really lazy, you could also consider using an electric water pump, but be sure to protect the electrical components from water. ;)