Max D 4000

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
SuperDuperSoaker

Max D 4000

Post by SuperDuperSoaker » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:28 am

I had a beutiful new Max D 4000 that I found the other day,and my bratty little sister took a knife to the tank because i wouldn't take her to the park,what is good to seal the holes, i was thinking epoxy,but is there an alternative,like hotglue, and electrical tape? thanx in advance :)

I LOVE CSS

isoaker

Re: Max D 4000

Post by isoaker » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:33 am

The MaxD 4000 is a pressurized reservoir system. If the holes are small, you can try using epoxy followed by covering the repair area with duct tape. However, if the holes are larger, there's really no recommendable way to repair it since repaired reservoirs are never as strong/durable as original ones. Hot glue is a poor choice that lacks strength while electrical tape will not offer a strong enough seal.

In the end, you may end up needing to simply get a replacement and keep your sister away from your blasters and knives, though I am a little surprised since reservoir tanks are not easy to cut or pierce with typical knives.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:07 am

SuperDuperSoaker

Post by SuperDuperSoaker » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:11 am

thanx a lot guys

I LOVE CSS

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:36 pm

I was pressed for time when I wrote that, so I'll write a bit more.

I would suggest epoxy putty for this. Epoxy putty is a clay-like stick that has two parts. When mixed they start to harden and they'll attach themselves to nearly anything, even when wet. Of course, ideally you will make sure the area is clean, dry, and roughed up with a file or coarse sandpaper. Basically, all you need to do is buy epoxy putty and sand paper, clean, dry, and rough up the problem spot, and then mix up the epoxy putty and apply it. Wait the designated time and test the gun out.

Let me reiterate a point from my glues article as well. Since you said you have a Nerf background, you likely are familiar with hot glue. Normal hot glues do not seal under pressures. Hot melt glues, which are more expensive and need a higher temperature glue gun, stick to nearly anything and have a volume. I would also suggest hot melt glues for this repair if you have them. If you don't, it would be cheaper to use epoxy putty.

You could also identify the plastic used in the water gun (I think they generally are ABS, but I could be wrong), buy a small piece of that plastic large enough to cover the problem area, and then use IPS weld on to weld the plastics together. This is another option.

There obviously are a lot of options, so if one doesn't work you could try another.

SuperDuperSoaker

Post by SuperDuperSoaker » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:14 pm

thank you, oh and is it worth fixing or is the gun Suckish?

I LOVE CSS

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:57 pm

The Max-D 4000 isn't the best gun, but it's not terrible, and it has it's purposes. I'd repair it because you have nothing to lose.