WW Orca Trigger Lever Repair - ^

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:52 am

During some field testing with various stock soakers yesterday, my Water Warriors Orca began exhibiting some problems. At first, all was good and streams were flying happily. However, about 15 minutes into the soakfest, I picked up the Orca, pumped it, and noticed water coming from the nozzle. Pulling the trigger a few times suggested that the nozzle ball valve was failing to completely close. I figured at the time that its lubricant was failing for some reason and did not think much else of it. The battle continued another 45 minutes or so

At the end, when all were sopping wet, we all started emptying and dry-blasting the water blasters for storage. When I grabbed the Orca and pumped it, I saw that the nozzle valve was still leaking slightly. However, upon pulling the trigger, something felt wrong, then there was a sudden movement, trigger lost resistance, something smacked the inside of the casing, and the nozzle was more open, but now the trigger failed completely.

Upon opening the casing when I got home, I found that the plastic arm lever that attaches to the trigger rod, a spring, and the nozzle ball valve had split in half. I took some pictures (also of the Orca's internals) and am currently using some epoxy to glue the halves of the valve arm together. Will give more info on the repair progress after I attempt putting the glued valve arm back into place.

Looking at the damage pattern on the plastic arm, it seems like one half had snapped at some point while the other half shows plastic stretching, suggesting it gave away more slowly. This could explain why the nozzle valve first closed only partially before it completely failed.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Update: well, epoxy fails as an adhesive for this type of plastic. After attempting to re-attach it, one pull and it split again, the epoxy just peeling off of the plastic. Time to try Crazy Glue. :goofy:

Rook

Post by Rook » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:30 pm

That's not even funny. :p Krazy Glue is one of the WORST substances for use on Super Soakers. Except Gorilla Glue. That stuff's terrible.

The Krazy Glue wouldn't stand a chance on its own, but, if you glue a piece of wire coat hanger to both halves of the plastic pieces, it should work. I did that to a trigger on my CPS 4100 (The trigger broke because the PC casing came unglued and put stress on the internals. I really should do a writeup.) I got that idea from a trigger repair guide somewhere. I think it was SSC.

If that doesn't work, try Epoxy Putty. That stuff is amazing.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:05 pm

Mix them. Don't rely on just one type of fix. One of my 2500 triggers broke, but the combination of metal strips, all-purpose cement, and epoxy might as well last forever. The thing is rock solid. Also, use several coats, not just one and not just a couple and not all in the same day. :cool:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:56 am

hehe.. thanks for the advice! Problem with this piece is that it is rather small. I think I'll try affixing some sculpted paper clip pieces onto it with a few types of adhesives.