FF concerns - about imploding

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Evangel

Post by Evangel » Thu May 10, 2007 8:38 am

I've been reading about how sometimes FF tanks will kinda implode when equipped with an Aqua Pak. Apparently it's because the resevoir cap is on too tight so air is getting constricted and other sciency stuff. But I've just been slapping on the Aqua Pak and firing until I run out of ammo (caps as tight as they can be), and nothing like this has happened to me, at least not to my knowledge.

But just to make sure it DOESN'T happen (because this HAS happened to my Monster XL which I had to throw out because the resevoir was so imploded that it eventually cracked wide open), can someone kinda clarify a little more about why this tends to occur? The other topics I read don't really help much, because I think I've been keeping the caps as tight as they can be (as opposed to that 1/4-turn loose thing) and got nothing like what they're describing.

Edited By Evangel on 1178804448

DX

Post by DX » Thu May 10, 2007 9:07 am

If the cap is on too tightly, air can't replace the water you are pumping out. The lack of replacement air creates the suction effect. However, I've never seen this happen personally, and I tend to screw my caps on firmly.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 10, 2007 11:25 am

Duxburian's explanation pretty much sums it up. I'm not sure about the newer Aquapacks, but if they have now included a small hole or intake somewhere on the pack to allow air to enter after the Aquapack runs out of water, this should prevent the partial vacuum problem inside the FF's reservoir that causes the reservoir collapse.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Thu May 10, 2007 12:40 pm

This happens frequently on my CPS 3200 if you use it heavily. You pump out so much water out of the backpack unit, it starts to implode, and not enough air enters the chamber fast enough. You have to wait and allow the air to replace the lost water, and the backpack unit will slowly expand back to its normal shape.

One thing I do on the 3200 is to disconnect the hose, and jam my finger into the entry port to open the check valve, allowing air to flow up the water tube into the backpack to equalize it faster.

On my take, just use it normally, but keep an eye on it. If anything seems to slightly suck in, open the cap and let air in. Usually the caps and the new aquapak units should have valves to take care of this. From what I've seen in my CPS 3200, this should only be a problem if you're using your gun under heavy usage.
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Thu May 10, 2007 1:56 pm

I haven't had implosions, but everytime I unthread a cap, I often hear air going in. The caps really don't allow air to effuse at a decent rate.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Thu May 10, 2007 2:48 pm

The caps really don't allow air to effuse at a decent rate.

One reason I allow air manually into the tank of my CPS 3200. Very good observation, my dear Watson. :p Sorry, couldn't resisit.
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars