Problems with Max-D 5000

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Leviathan

Post by Leviathan » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:57 pm

I didn't see this on any of the threads or repair guides, so I thought I'd run it by yall, you seem to know repairs.

My Max-D 5000 will not pump. The pump itself slides, very easily, in and out, but no pressure builds up in the tank. I took it apart and replaced the o ring on the pump, and still nothing. The ring on the tank cap is fine, so it looks. What really bothered me though was the ease of the pump shaft: when I turn the gun nozzle down, it slides out, and nozzle up, it slides in-effortlessly.

Any ideas?
Heavy artillery + high ground = an easy battle.
Why else would they call me Leviathan?
"Artillery batteries, prepare to fire. XLs, dual aquastorm. Balloons, quick burst, short range. Battery commanders, FIRE AT WILL!"

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:55 am

Sounds like your pump rod doesn't seal properly with the pump shaft anymore. The rod with the rubber cap should fit snugly into the pump shaft such that it can push in air into the reservoir. No seal, no build-up of pressure, no working soaker. Some have used electrical tape to wrap around the pump rod and achieve a decent seal. Others have experiments with different sized O-rings. Do you still have the original rubber seal from the pump? If not, make sure it's not stuck in the pump shaft, otherwise you have two problems: no seal and a possible jam.

Pics of your soaker's pump rod may help us give more specific suggestions to you.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:44 am

The MD5K is a pressurized reservoir gun - you pump air into the reservoir, which serves as the pressure chamber. The gun probably has a check valve that lets air into the pump tube only, but not out; and another that lets air into the reservoir, but not out.

I'm thinking there might be a crack in the tubing somewhere between the two check valves and the pump. The pump seal actually sounds like it's fine - it moves smoothly, although you might want to lubricate it a bit to help the seal. Anyway, if air can go in and out through the seal, then there's no pressure differential holding the pump in place.

Rook

Post by Rook » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:21 pm

Maybe there's a hole or crack somewhere on the plastic (either near the washer or on the shaft) that is allowing air to escape. It's been a while since I've looked at an air pressure pump rod, so it may not be a possibility. Can't hurt to look, though.

Also, you may not have gotten a good enough seal with the o-ring you're using.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:51 pm

Try removing the pump rod, pouring water into the pump shaft, and then pushing the rod back into the shaft. If it pushes water up and over the sides of the pump shaft, you have a problem with your seals. If it pushes water out into the workings of the gun then you have a leak.

Soak On
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Leviathan

Post by Leviathan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:57 pm

Ok, I finally got some time to work a little more on the gun.

Heres whats happening: when I put the water into the pump shaft and pump, i get water both out of the top of the shaft and into the reservoir. Should I go ahead and make an electrical tape repair like isoaker suggested, or does something else need to bee taken into consideration?

Thanx for the help guys.
"Artillery batteries, prepare to fire. XLs, dual aquastorm. Balloons, quick burst, short range. Battery commanders, FIRE AT WILL!"

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:46 pm

As I said above, the Max-D 5000 uses the pressurized reservoir system. You fill the reservoir, then pump air in. So I don't know where the water is coming from...

Just wondering, did you open up the gun yet? If not, the water's probably leaking elsewhere, and exiting the gun near the pump.

Leviathan

Post by Leviathan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:05 am

Yeah, I stripped it down to the essentials before I tested it, I thought at first that the tubing was cracked, but it's not.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:06 pm

Interesting. I presume you also pumped up the gun after opening it. Guess that means it is a pump problem.