Max - D 6000 Pump problem

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
TrueAce

Post by TrueAce » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:44 am

After i started getting back into super soakers, all my friends dug out thier old ones, and we've been doing a few wars, and alot of just ramdom attacks on kids we know. well in the process, my friend's Max - D 6000 broke, i quickly knew what the issue was. the pump had stopped working, and infact, you could take the pump rod right out, so knew that that washer and the piece that held it in place, had broken. so here it is a week later, and he gave it to me to fix, although he said that he would really like to get a new one so if i break it its fine. so with his permission i performed a check valve freeze and a nozzle drill. the issue is, there are no remnaints of the washer or the piece that held it in place. it must of fallen out at somepoint when he had it, i would assume he may of been carrying it without the pump rod in and the piece fell out. guys, im really stumped on this one, i tried using electrical tape to make a seal and closing the end hole with epoxy, and it works, but pumping is no where near smooth, i've tried less layers of tape but then i loose the seal. i cant seem to think of any solution. i'm hopin you guys have some ideas.

sorry for askin so many questions, i really thought i was going to be able to tackle this one without any hitche.

thanks again

Edited By TrueAce on 1157813155

Croc

Post by Croc » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:42 am

Look- Your friend's pump came apart. Thats all there is to it.
the washer or the piece that held it in place

The bit that should be at the end of the pump is in the pump shaft. Look down there and you will see what I mean. This happened to mr.dude's X-stream Super Cobra. That is how I know what has happened to your friends MD6k
If you manage to get it out, epoxy it back to the pump rod- If not, put epoxy on the inside of the pump rod, and put that down the pump shaft (make sure the end of the pump that came off is straight), and try to pull it out then

Edited By Croc on 1157816693

TrueAce

Post by TrueAce » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:29 pm

i knew that that was what happened, the issue is, that bit is not in the shaft, i checked, thats where my problem is, i dont have the end of the rod, and its not in the shaft, im wanting to know what you recommend on how to replace it, or if replacement parts could be obtained. i can see all the way down the pump shaft where i can see a metal mesh piece, and i see no washer, and no bit. and to answer your question yes it is a clean break, i can see the original glue still on the pump rod, so the rod itself did not break.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:46 pm

This is so confusing...can you get a picture or something? Also, exactly what broke? I'd like to help, but I'm not sure what broke. I think you're referring to the O-ring, but it sounds like you're talking about the piece that holds the pump in.

Also, could you please capitalize your "i"s? Thanks.

Croc

Post by Croc » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:07 pm

The seal must have really sucked then, because the end of the shaft normally stays in the gun.

TrueAce

Post by TrueAce » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:17 pm

OK! sorry I havent replied for a while, I've been kinda busy, but I have the requested pics. I'll rephrase the problem. Hopefully this will clear things up.

This is the seal i tried to create with electrical tape, but with only limited success.

As you can see it was clean, there was no accual breaking on the pump rod itself, just the piece and O ring are gone.

I filled the end with epoxy before i put the tape on to make a better seal.

This is the pump shaft, there is no piece or O ring.

im really at a loss, i cant figure out what to do, the electrical tape was way too stiff and hard to pump, when i took some of the tape off, i lost the seal, so it was no good. any advice would help.
thanks.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:01 pm

Maybe you could leave the tape on, take a measurement, and get an O ring coresponding to the measurement which can be found at most hardware stores, then glue it on. I'm not really sure though, best wait until someone can clarify this.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

The Legacy

Post by The Legacy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:35 pm

Hello. First of all, I'm new here, for your information.

Anyways, if you could take a picture of the whole gun and bits, it would help with context. I might be able to help.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:09 pm

So it's a tape/adhesive problem you seem to be having. How much clearance is there between the pump rod and the inside of the pump shaft? As C-A_99 suggested, perhaps gluing on an O-ring or gluing on a thinner piece of metal or copper to act as a stop to prevent the tape from slipping may work. However, never tried this so it really depends on your willingness to experiment with it. You could also opt to look for a wooden dowel with a similar or slightly larger diameter than the pump rod, but obviously smaller than the inner diameter of the pump shaft, and apply tape onto the wood (which should stick much better).

@ The Legacy: Welcome to the boards! :cool:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

TrueAce

Post by TrueAce » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:14 pm

I like what you guys are thinking, I think the idea of glueing the O - ring would work quite well, but does anyone know what size O ring it would take? I mean, I can do some trial and error but it would save me alot of time if someone happen to know what size its suppose to have.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:26 pm

Welcome, The Legacy! It's nice to see new members who already want to contribute!

Electrical tape would be a bad solution even if the layering was perfect. It simply isn't designed to hold a seal (although it isn't really designed to do anything soaker-related).

Trial and error is pretty much the only thing you can do. I would go for a really small size--it's pointless to get something about the size you want, as it will probably be too thick. Remember that smaller ones becomes thinner as you stretch them. And finally, use common sense--if there's a big gap or a small one, choose appropriately. You'll probably have to do some trial-and-error as it is.

WaterNapoleon

Post by WaterNapoleon » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:01 pm

I had a Max-D 6000 about 3 years (give or take a few) and I left it in a garage for about a year and it wouldn't pump. Rather than attempt to fix it myself, I just got mad and started saving for another water gun and threw away the Max-D 6000.

Grand General Napoleon out.
<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Grand General Napoleon out.</span>