The troublesome CPS3000 backpack valve

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:21 am

Okey dokey, I've had 3 CPS3000s in my time. I bought hte first one, the backpack valve broke(that little valve that you switch to turn on the water supply). I got a new one from Toys R Us, which also broke after a while, so my dad contacted Super Soaker customer services, who said they could send me a new valve, but apparently demand for thsi valve was so high that they decided to send me a new gun, which I reinforced as soon as it arrived. I've had this gun about 6-7 years, but now the valve is leaking water from the 4 holes on the opposite side to the switch. What is this and why is it doing it? it appears there's air mixed with the water that's coming out. :cps3000:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:57 am

Picture of CPS3000 valve hose attachment

If I understand you correctly, water is coming out from the 'bottom' side of the ball valve is the 'top' is where the switch is? Anyhow, being made of primarily plastic, depending on how often and how your blaster has been treated, the ball valve in this connection seems to be wearing out. From your description, it has gotten loose in its housing, allowing water to escape and air to get in. Unfortunately, there may be no easy way to repair the leak without loosing the ability to use the valve switch. I do not believe the valve can be opened easily to allow for an internal inspection and repair to be done.

If you can experiment on opening it, explore that first.

Otherwise, to still have a functional soaker, set the valve to open, make sure water can still flow through the hose, then you can opt to seal the outer part of the valve using something like epoxy along any visible cracks or lines. However, you need to be careful not to get epoxy or whatever sealant you use on the end that is inserted into the blaster portion. That side is fairly tight-fitting and may no longer fit if there are raised sealant drops. Then again, you can opt to remove excess glue with a knife afterwards. This should prevent leaking while allowing you to use your CPS3000 (though it might be a little messy if you normally fill with the backpack detached.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:07 am

Yep, it's the bit opoosite the switch. I always fill it without the backpack on, as otherwise you risk breaking the connector(see where the screws fit either side of the bulky part? that's where it snaps). Has nobody ever had this problem but me?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:36 am

I haven't heard of leaking from this valve before, but I can easily understand how it is a common problem.

This small valve likely wasn't built to last very long. The easiest thing to do would be to simply disable it. You could afterwards install a small barbed ball valve onto the hose line to retain the shut off feature. In fact, that's what I would do.

:)

Croc

Post by Croc » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:38 am

I've had the problem of having to fill without the backpack, as when I picked mine up yesterday, it was lacking a backpack. I havent had any problems with anything, at least not yet :D

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:37 am

How do I make a new valve? I'm not very good at this kinda stuff(I an fix a super soaker, but making a new part is a whole new story). Also, how do you fill it without the backpack?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:22 am

Most hardware stores have small barbed ball valves in the plumbing section. These plug onto the tubing easily. Those would be my personal choice, but not every hardware store has those.

I don't have a small ball valve like that, but to make one from PVC components, you'll need two barbed fittings, two tubing clamps, a threaded PVC ball valve and teflon tape. Metal ball valves also would work. This would be more expensive, but probably easier to find. Here's an image of all the parts needed: http://www.sscentral.org/images/img_0103-2.jpg

This is extremely easy, so do not fret about it. The hardest part literally is finding the parts. After that, it's as easy as screwing a light bulb in (no kidding either).

As for how you fill it without the backpack, I don't know what you mean. We're repairing the backpack.

:;):

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:19 pm

Ben_ wrote:Most hardware stores have small barbed ball valves in the plumbing section. These plug onto the tubing easily. Those would be my personal choice, but not every hardware store has those.

I don't have a small ball valve like that, but to make one from PVC components, you'll need two barbed fittings, two tubing clamps, a threaded PVC ball valve and teflon tape. Metal ball valves also would work. This would be more expensive, but probably easier to find. Here's an image of all the parts needed: http://www.sscentral.org/images/img_0103-2.jpg

This is extremely easy, so do not fret about it. The hardest part literally is finding the parts. After that, it's as easy as screwing a light bulb in (no kidding either).

As for how you fill it without the backpack, I don't know what you mean. We're repairing the backpack.

:;):
Ahh, I kinda get it with the pics, but what are all the metal loops for? Also, how can I be sure that the bit going into the gun will fit just right? I take it it has to be a pretty tight fit?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:13 am

The metal loops are clip-on tubing clamps which are ideal for this application.

It does have to be a pretty snug fit, but it does not have to be a tight fight. Tight would just be plain hard to get over the barb. I'm assuming that the CPS 3000 uses a common tubing size, you finding the right sized barb shouldn't be a problem. If you are unsure, cut a small piece of the tubing off and take it to the hardware store to test out.

You might also be reading me wrong too. My suggestion is to seal the old ball valve shut after opening the little switch box and then just use that as a connector.

Does that help? Let me know if you have any other questions.