CPS 2100 Pumping Difficulty - Any suggestions?

For questions, articles and discussions regarding water blaster maintenance and repairs.
FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:17 pm

I have had my CPS 2100 since last July, and experienced no problems regarding the pump. Recently ,however, pumping this weapon has been incredibly difficult, and I've even injured my wrist while doing it. I have filled its reservoir with anything other than water only once, and that was when I mixed some dish-washing detergent in to clean it out. I've also noticed that spraying WD-40 on the pumping shaft eases the difficulty only temporarily. Unfortunately, I have the "unmoddable" version of te 2100, so opening it up successfully is out of the question. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem?
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS 3000 (w/ MI:Overload Backpack)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

DX

Post by DX » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:24 pm

Unfortunately, I have the "unmoddable" version of te 2100, so opening it up successfully is out of the question. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem?

There is no such thing as an "unmoddable 2100". That sounds like something that would have been said pre-early 2004. Of the 3 marks, only the MK2 is difficult to open, difficult/annoying, but far from impossible.

A similiar problem happened to my 2500, and I found that the rubber seal at the end of the pump shaft had slid over the rim that holds it. Re-adjusting the rubber fixed the pump. While I am not sure if you have the same thing, the only way to find out is by opening the gun.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:30 pm

I have tried to open it, but the black cap at the end of the large, gray, tube that houses the pump is very difficult to remove. Do you know of any simple way to do so?
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

DX

Post by DX » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:35 pm

If you can't pop it off with a screwdriver or twist it off with your hand, then it is glued. In that case, you would have to take a hacksaw and cut down the middle. And if the gun is confirmed as Mk2, you will have to break off the fake outer nozzle covering as well.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:57 pm

No! Don't hack it open! You can take a hot small screwdriver and ease it into the glued area. I did that to my Flash Flood when I realised the pump cap was glued on. You can't really tell I took it off, other than a little flared part on one side, and that was from me trying to pry it off. :D

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:02 pm

Approximately where is the glued area?
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:05 pm

Also, dosen't this cause a bit too much damage to the gun? I'm pretty sure it's a Mark2, so will the gun still function properly after this "surgery" ?
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:12 pm

The glue is under the cap, around the edge. Oh, and as long as you don't cut some tubing, brake the piping, or do anything stupid, the gun will still work. This isn't damage, this is surgery, and surgery on anything, even soakers, doesn't look all too good until you are done.

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:13 pm

Much obliged.
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

DX

Post by DX » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:07 pm

The difference though, is that 2100 mk2 caps are very well glued on. More glue than you would expect. If you can get it off without sawing, congrats. Even if you have to saw, it will do nothing to the gun's performance. External looks can't affect internal operation.

Edited By Duxburian on 1141610846

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:17 pm

Seems like the other members have this topic well covered. So why the heck am I posting? To say, listen to those guys when it comes to opening up a soaker. They've had more experience at opening, repairing (and modding) soakers... more than the average member on here.

Stiff soaker pumps are definitely annoying. I'm not sure I'd recommend ever pushing WD40 into the pump shaft as that stuff may reduce the lifespace of the rubber O-rings or plug at the end of the pump. I wonder whether your soaker could simply use a cleaning of its internals. If you use heavier water, you might just have a little build-up of lime/salt in the internals. Thing is, I'm not 100% sure how safe using solutions like CLR is on the internals of a soaker. Personally, I'd go for it after checking the bottle's instructions followed by LOTS of rinsing.

Of course, if you've opted to open things, hope that goes well as well.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

freak

Post by freak » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:00 pm

I could repeat what they said, But why?
I remember when I was trying to take off the Flash Flood pump cap. It was so much glue on it that there was some on the outside of the cap.
End world hunger and overpopulation, Support cannibalism.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:55 pm

I was reading this topic, and it sounds similar to a problem I have on my Monster XL. My MXL is extremely difficult to pump. I can easily crank out the 30 pumps on my 1700, but the 40-50 pumps on my MXL kill my arm. It's hard to even do 20 on it. I don't believe the MXL has a larger pump shaft capacity than any other gun (or the difficulty might be explainable). Is this normal (I know iSoaker and maybe others have a MXL) or is it a real problem? I'm not the strongest person, but I still don't think it should be that hard to pump.
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:56 pm

I don't think that they make soakers that are that hard to pump during testing. That would alienate pretty much everyone that is not a bodybuilder, and lose tons of customers. It sounds like you just need to do a simple lubrication job. That invovles opening it, but it makes things very easy to pump.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:02 pm

The only thing that makes my MXLs harder to pump is the fact that the soaker, itself, is just so darn heavy. Sure, some of the weight is carried by the strap, but it still does affect pumping. That, plus the fact that the MXL's pump is NOT larger, only 'standard' sized, which means it takes many more pumps to actually feel like you've accomplished something since the PCs volume is quite large.

The only soakers that have particularly hard pumps are the Pre-pressurized Aqua-Masters line from Buzz Bee Toys. Once those soakers are pre-pressurized according to instructions, they can be particularly challenging to pump. If you want to build arm muscles, I definitely recommend those soakers. :goofy:

I've only experienced stiffening of a pump on my good ol' SS50. I attribute the problem to sheer soaker abuse (being left pressurized, dropped, pumped underwater, etc) plus the fact that that soaker is fairly old. I'm just happy it is still functional, though definitely not as good as it used to be.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .: