MOAB 2019

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

MOAB 2019

Post by marauder » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi everyone, as you know I want to plan one final massive battle, worthy of the MOAB name, before I leave for Kuwait June 1st. Let's do this right. I am trying to reach out to everyone and plan something special.

The best dates for me are either next weekend or probably May, but I will talk to Tiffany and edit this sentence tomorrow with specifics.

Please post with your availability. I want to get everyone involved. Let's connect with some old friends and possibly meet some new friends in the process.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SSCBen

Re: MOAB 2019

Post by SSCBen » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:10 pm

I should be graduating May 25 or 26. So sometime the week of the 27th would be the only time I can do it it before June.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:25 pm

As discussed over text, March 9 & 16 are booked for Rob and I. Not sure about after, but if he's available, we could both run a trip to NC and join Scott along the way, which could potentially save me an awful drive lol. (NC to MI is not something I want to do lol.)

Late March and anytime in May work best for me. I know you have plans in April, and it's also Humans vs. Zombies season in Ohio, though I'm not sure which events I'm going to yet. Most likely I'll be playing on April 12 and 19.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:49 am

HBWW wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:25 pm
I know you have plans in April, and it's also Humans vs. Zombies season in Ohio, though I'm not sure which events I'm going to yet. Most likely I'll be playing on April 12 and 19.
That sounds like so much fun. I can never seem to find anything like that around here. When I get back from Kuwait I want to start doing more things like that with everyone or maybe taking a trip to the beach or beach house together (had talked to Brandon about that yesterday).
SSCBen wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:10 pm
I should be graduating May 25 or 26. So sometime the week of the 27th would be the only time I can do it it before June.
Depending on when I leave for Texas for predeployment training that may work. Kind of ironic that you are going from UT to the east coast and I am going from UT to Fort Hood, which is only an hour away from UT. Congratulations on getting your PHD btw. It's probably too early, but do you have any idea of where you are going to be applying for jobs?
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Most of March should be okay, although the Myrtle Beach trip will most likely be moved to next weekend (9th-10th) because the weather isn't so great this coming weekend. You're still welcome to join us. I'm pretty sure it's a short drive for you.

As mentioned, April is looking pretty busy at the moment. May is unknown as of now; I'll probably have a few busy weekends, but nothing important enough to be already planned now.

What kind of war do you have in mind? i.e. what locations and game types? Something totally insane and different would be awesome. We should get like 20 people too.

How long will you be in Kuwait for?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:19 am

SEAL wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:10 pm
What kind of war do you have in mind? i.e. what locations and game types? Something totally insane and different would be awesome. We should get like 20 people too.

I'm thinking of having the opportunity to camp in the woods and fight through the night for people who want that.
SEAL wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:10 pm
How long will you be in Kuwait for?
9 months, but I will be in Texas and Georgia for 2 months prior and then I will have a few weeks of demobilization after I return. So I will be gone almost a year.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:17 pm

marauder wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:49 am
Congratulations on getting your PHD btw. It's probably too early, but do you have any idea of where you are going to be applying for jobs?
Thanks. I won't be applying to any jobs until after I graduate. I'll be taking at least 3 months off then and will have plenty of time to apply to jobs. I'm open to suggestions on jobs, places to live, etc., if you have any.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:49 am

SSCBen wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:17 pm
marauder wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:49 am
Congratulations on getting your PHD btw. It's probably too early, but do you have any idea of where you are going to be applying for jobs?
Thanks. I won't be applying to any jobs until after I graduate. I'll be taking at least 3 months off then and will have plenty of time to apply to jobs then. I'm open to suggestions on jobs, places to live, etc., if you have any.
I think that's a smart decision. I received a preliminary offer before I graduated and then they rescinded it right after I graduated. I freaked out and then started applying everywhere and got depressed. In hind sight you have to trust yourself and not settle.

Are you interested more in research or application? I know that the Research Triangle Park is a huge research node here with lots of jobs. It's fairly affordable too.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Oh congrats @SSCBen that's a huge accomplishment!

I can't do anything in all of March, and nothing in April before the 15th. The rest of April and May are open so far.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:03 pm

I've got something this weekend and then June 1st, otherwise I am free any weekend. Would likely need to take Friday off though, so two weeks notice would be good.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Looks like late May seems to be the best for the most people so far. I'd like to know sooner than later since I'm trying to plan a big game in May as well but want to do so as far in advance as possible so we can gather interest.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:09 am

Would the weekend of May 25th work for everyone?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:01 pm

Sorry, I'll have to sit this one out. See you all another time.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:25 pm

That probably would actually be the best date for me 'cause I get Monday off, but I still don't know if I can or not. I'll keep you updated.

Doing this in the same fashion as the "HOG Lite" idea I talked about in the other thread would be cool. Got any cool battlefields around that nobody else has been to? I would help host such a war, but unfortunately I can't commit as of now.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:40 am

SEAL wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:25 pm
That probably would actually be the best date for me 'cause I get Monday off, but I still don't know if I can or not. I'll keep you updated.

Doing this in the same fashion as the "HOG Lite" idea I talked about in the other thread would be cool. Got any cool battlefields around that nobody else has been to? I would help host such a war, but unfortunately I can't commit as of now.

We could try camping out where we hiked to last time you were here. The Buffalo Creek battleground was fun for a mid winter mix of casual rounds, but I still like Little Creek. There is also Legend Park too, but I still think Little Creek is better. Lastly, there is a neat area of woods about half a mile from my house in the opposite direction that could be used. A stream runs through the middle of it. It's very isolated, but I think Little Creek is still better. It may be worth taking you to explore sometime though.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat May 04, 2019 10:44 am

So it sounds like this thing is happening! Sweet, it has been too long. I've texted Rob and David to see if they are coming and need a ride. Anyone else need a ride? I can fit 3 plus myself, so if it just Rob and David I'm going to ask some local friends.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed May 08, 2019 7:11 am

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:44 am
So it sounds like this thing is happening! Sweet, it has been too long. I've texted Rob and David to see if they are coming and need a ride. Anyone else need a ride? I can fit 3 plus myself, so if it just Rob and David I'm going to ask some local friends.
Have you heard anything back from them? I have not heard back from Rob.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon May 13, 2019 8:35 am

*official war update*

It looks like we should have about 10 people for this war. There are several others who may come, including Will, Noah, SSS track and field team, one of my friends from Red Scorpion, and John. But I am going to plan as if this is currently who we have.

Historically MOAB has been a war that emphasizes asymmetrical warfare while still playing more to a hardcore style and longer battles. We will see a return to this for MOAB 2019. I also am planning this to set up the first major strategic war since (Frozen Fury1?) where teams would benefit from a good strategy. This year will feature a long OHS matchup between historic power players known for their battlefield prowess and up and coming warriors looking to earn respect and take their place among the greats. We have already done this, you may be thinking, and indeed that is correct. Both at the original MOAB and at Frozen Fury 14 the vets squashed the greenies even though they were outnumbered in both instances and outgunned in once. But this year I will be leading the rising all stars.

Marauder, Alex, Anthony, theOncomingStorm, & David
vs
Scott, Duxburian, Chief, SEAL, & Chupacabra

The battle will return to Little Creek. Buffalo Creek was a nice break for a more casual winter war, but we are going all out again this time. The vets will be held to weapons restrictions of only 2 CPS per the team and they have to be light, though Buzz Bee guns don't count as CPS so you can use Vindicators, Tiger Sharks, whatever. The rising star team has no weapons restrictions.

The veterans will be the attacking team. No team is allowed to move more than 50m away from Little Creek or one of its tributaries in either direction. The veteran team must engage within the first 30 minutes or else forfeit one of their CPS blasters. My team will not run from contact, I will make sure of that. 30 minutes will give you enough time to hunt, but you will also need to act quickly. We will not be on the other side of the dam.

Please hydrate yourself the day prior. Hydrating the day of can help refuel you but what you do the day before matters the most. Drink lots of fluids and get some potassium in your system (bananas, avocado/guac, watermelon, coconut water, potatoes). I'm serious about this. Last time we almost had heat injuries. Please bring some drinks with you. I will try to bring an ice cooler with towels so you can cool off if necessary and may bring some additional drinks.

Let me know if you have any questions.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon May 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Well if you wanted to pique my interest, that's one way to do it, haha. You know me, I love strategic battles. Throw in hardcore play styles and team imbalances, and you have my SEAL of approval (ha ha, bad joke). Chief is coming for sure? How is he getting down? I messaged him the other day but haven't heard back. If he comes you can count me in, but only if I'm not busy that weekend. As I said before, I should know after this coming weekend. I'm in horrible water war shape though, so I probably won't be as big a threat as in the past. I'd have to fight this one with brains instead of brawn this time, haha.

A couple questions and concerns though:
-I'm assuming the battle takes place on Saturday? If I come I might want to do some other things as well, such as visiting my cousin in Raleigh and going clubbing or something.

-How many hours is the battle to last? I'm not keen on doing a whole bunch of war planning and stuff only for people to tap out after like three hours. How can that be prevented? Obviously everyone must bring food and water, but I'd want some kind of insurance. For the HOG we actually considered having people pay a fee if they quit early for non-emergency reasons.

-Which part of Little Creek are we talking about? Upstream or down? (In regards to the dam.)

-I'm assuming the 50m rule isn't a hard boundary? I'm also assuming that only applies during searching periods, right? Nothing sucks more than trying to avoid an invisible wall while fighting.

-Not a fan of the 30 minute rule either. I think the hunting rule works fine, and you know if Chief and I are on the team we'll be out for blood. We never run and hide. I could see having a time limit if it was something like having to reach an objective or something though. For example, you guys could be guarding an extra CPS blaster that my team could have if we could get to your base and capture it within 30 minutes (I would go with 60 though). Otherwise it feels too forced. Like, hell no we aren't just going to give up a CPS blaster that we already have in our possession.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue May 14, 2019 8:25 am

SEAL wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:19 pm
A couple questions and concerns though:
-I'm assuming the battle takes place on Saturday? If I come I might want to do some other things as well, such as visiting my cousin in Raleigh and going clubbing or something.
Yes, the battle takes place on Saturday.
SEAL wrote:
-How many hours is the battle to last? I'm not keen on doing a whole bunch of war planning and stuff only for people to tap out after like three hours. How can that be prevented?
I don't have a time limit set up as of yet. I was planning on fighting all day. I also can't assure you people won't be too tired from any kind of weather or food or anything else. It has been very nice lately, in the low 70s, but I have no guarantee that it won't be in the 90s either. People need to take personal responsibility and hydrate the day prior and eat reasonably healthy. I'm not saying to go vegan and eat only vegetables for 2 days, but don't live off candy and drink no water. You think I'm joking, but we had an ROTC cadet pass out at leadership camp after only an hour of walking through the woods because he had been living off candy for the past day.
SEAL wrote:
-I'd want some kind of insurance. For the HOG we actually considered having people pay a fee if they quit early for non-emergency reasons.
If we had a bunch of people who were all local or if we had so many people that attendance wasn't a concern then maybe. But 1, I feel weird about making friends pay, and 2 my 11 year old neighbor is attending and we may have a few highschoolers. I can't make them pay.

SEAL wrote:
Which part of Little Creek are we talking about? Upstream or down? (In regards to the dam.)
Upstream. I would consider night fighting below the dam and exploring where we went the last time you and Keith were at my house, but for this or at least the first battle I think upstream works best. There is an area of the battlefield there we have only briefly fought in and I think it could be good to pus the war there.
SEAL wrote:
I'm assuming the 50m rule isn't a hard boundary? I'm also assuming that only applies during searching periods, right? Nothing sucks more than trying to avoid an invisible wall while fighting.
Let me put this another way: keep fighting to the flood plain only and use common sense. The searching period for the last war took too long because my team was going over hills as well as searching the flood plain. I'm not worried about an invisible line and penalizing people. I'm focused on making sure we don't spend an hour and a half searching again. I understand that some people like that, and sometimes that includes me, but if it's 90 like last time and one team ends up running up and down hills for 90 minutes, that's not good on so many levels.
SEAL wrote:
-Not a fan of the 30 minute rule either. I think the hunting rule works fine, and you know if Chief and I are on the team we'll be out for blood. We never run and hide. I could see having a time limit if it was something like having to reach an objective or something though. For example, you guys could be guarding an extra CPS blaster that my team could have if we could get to your base and capture it within 30 minutes (I would go with 60 though). Otherwise it feels too forced. Like, hell no we aren't just going to give up a CPS blaster that we already have in our possession.
We can do away with the rule.

I sincerely hope you are able to make it. I'm going to be gone for a year and you have given people a hard time in the past about not prioritizing things like this.