Soakemore 2018 planning thread

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Soakemore 2018 planning thread

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:41 pm

OK, so I would really like to try and make this happen. I am thinking of having it sometime in August or September, but early October might work. What dates are people available at?
Oh, and the island has wierd rules about hosting large parties, weekends are limited to odd numbered days. I assume we would want it to be on a Saturday? If so take that into consideration when listing dates.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SSCBen

Re: Soakemore 2018 planning thread

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for offering to host.

I am in MD right now, but I'll leave on July 22, so July 21 would have to be the latest I could do it. Don't worry about me not being able to make it; I'm really busy anyway right now. Hopefully next year will be better.

[Month corrected.]

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:59 am

SSCBen wrote:Thanks for offering to host.

I am in MD right now, but I'll leave on June 22, so June 21 would have to be the latest I could do it. Don't worry about me not being able to make it; I'm really busy anyway right now. Hopefully next year will be better.
Did you mean July?

And I know that Ben said he doesn't care, but I would prefer to have it on a date that Ben can attend. If we have the same people at each war it's not as good. This is our opportunity to hang out and get together with friends.

I can make any weekend except: July 14, August 4, September 8.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:34 pm

Yes, I meant July.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:14 pm

August 4th doesn't work for me ether, lol! I have to reserve at least a month in advance, and I'd still need to check if anyone else has reserved the island too. The island is the best place around me to fight, but setting it up is finicky.
Course if we had it mid-week it is a lot easier, but I assume most couldn't make it except on weekends. I myself am working until the 10th during the week.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:36 pm

My weekends in August are rapidly filling up. However, all of September is open at this point.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:43 pm

I might be able to do August 11th or something weird like that. Really gotta see how my second visit to the east coast this year goes.

Edit: Actually probably not that either. I don't know at this point.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Chupacabra

Post by Chupacabra » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:25 pm

I am free until the dates of Aug. 6 to 10, and school starts the 27 of Aug. But the best time for me is July, 16 through the 23rd, there is no practice for me, nor other interfering dates.
"This message has been brought to you by GassyMexican".

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:38 pm

This is going to be my first time at your houese scott so i really wanted to see what it looks like because it will be really awesome to fight there.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:41 am

My 3rd and 4th weekends in August are still open. Not too keen on doing the island again, though, it feels played out. Still really into the portables, though. I don't think those will ever get old, and there's several options if our usual area doesn't exist anymore.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:39 am

If we use the portables I want permission from the local police station. I can't take any chances with having a security clearance, plus with all the police shootings over the past few years...

Oh yeah, this was supposed to be a happy topic, what am I saying?

I think we need to go with the weekend where we have the most people available. Here's a Doodle Calendar: https://doodle.com/poll/zzc6drxaqpbdqx73

Everyone post your availability. *edit* I just saw that HOG is supposed to be on July 21st
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:16 pm

If we don't use the island, that could simplify things a bit but then I need to find another location.
I just got back from exploring Seneca regional park and it might work. A little more hilly then I would like, but less so then most, and it had usable underbrush in parts of it.
I also saw a few other potential places on the way there and back, but I didn't have time to explore them (plus I didn't think I could handle another couple hours of 93 degrees and 53% humidity).

As for the portables, I am probably going to have to call and ask. I have done a lot of research online and can't get a straight answer on using public school grounds. Closest I could find was info on getting usage permits, but those were for much larger events that are looking to rent rooms in the school building itself. What we would be doing wouldn't violate any of the permit rules though, so that might be a good sign.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:48 am

Seneca looks kind of like Umstead or Legend Park. Not too bad. Just a friendly reminder, but it looks like the best time for most people is July. Maybe you and SEAL could coordinate dates of the 2 wars.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:15 pm

The issue with July is that the weather isn't very cooperative. We could try to have it in July though, and so long as no one is flying in,or anything, call it off if it is going to be in the 90s.

How does July 28th (the weekend after HOG) sound to everyone?

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:40 am

Deadline day for final completion of Planet Earth is August 1st. I can't do the 28th, as it would have me out of town the last 3ish days before deadline, and those are always chaos. July 21 weekend is already locked, and very weekend in August might be already booked, so I wouldn't be able to come down until September. Of course, you don't need to plan it around me if enough people are interested and able in July.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:52 am

I am ok with the 28th, but you are missing out on Ben on the 21st. I understand that is the date that SEAL has for HOG, but what if you switched weekends and had HOG on the 28th so we could include Ben on the 21st?

What we really need is a list of who can attend each war at what dates. That way we can pick the date that corresponds best for both wars.

Can the war hosts please reply to this with a list of how many people can attend their war on which dates? This will allow us to choose the optimal date for both.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:40 pm

I don't know how many people can attend my war on each date; I only asked for the 21st. I did make a Doodle calendar, but nobody used it other than Drenchenator who didn't mark any of the dates.

I already took days off for the 21st, and that's the date I gave all the guests. I really don't want to move it again, as it's already been rescheduled twice. I don't think I'd be able to take two trips on back-to-back weekends either.

If it were me, I would push Soakemore way back towards the end of the year. We could even have the League Championship there, since we need a location for it anyway. Southern wars are best scheduled for cooler months anyway. DC is pretty mild compared to what I'm used to, but it can still be miserable, especially for those coming from up north. We already found out what happens when you mix high heat/humidity with an intense water war; people drop like dead branches. So after the HOG I was hoping to have the second League battle, which would be in Cedar Hill, preferably in late August or early September. Then in like November or something we could have Soakemore, where we could dedicate one day to the third and final League battle, and the next day to post-season celebrations or something. The first one was down south, so the second can be up north and the third can be in the middle.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.