2018 WWN League Season Opener

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: 2018 WWN League Season Opener

Post by SEAL » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:27 pm

marauder wrote:SEAL, it looks like you are gonna have to take one for the team man!
Haha, you're probably right. Not sure a water war is a socially acceptable excuse for not coming, but...I mean it's not like I'll ever ask anyone to come to my own graduation party (whenever that may be) so it wouldn't be hypocritical.

So I think it's high time we started sorting folks into teams. How do we want to do this?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:30 am

If current attendance holds -

Area 51
Marauder
Duxburian
the Oncoming Storm
Storm's Friend (11 years old)

vs

Tony
Chief
Scott
SEAL
David
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:32 pm

My brother doesn't think he can make it. He thought it was later in the month.

Anyway, what are the plans for Sunday? I would like to do some filming and get an official video of this event. I know we have a lot of footage from past events, but to be perfectly honest, most of it is trash. A lot of it looks like it was filmed on a web cam, and we don't have very many good shots anyway. It's either zoomed-out shots of people standing around shooting at each other, or POV shots, neither of which make for a very good video. I want some dramatic shots, like a close-up of someone wiping sweat from their brow, a line of people defending the dam with their lives, a whole team charging across the creek in slow motion, and other cool stunts. I want to get a list of shots ahead of time that we want to get at each location in the battlefield, then go out there and quickly bang them out. That will be good, because I won't be able to stick around that long on Sunday. Though if we can't do it quickly, it might be better to wait for another date. Not sure how much time I'll have.

If people want to take footage of the actual battle then that's cool too, but I think the majority of our best shots will be staged. Actual war footage just doesn't look that good. Even the Frozen Fury video felt very...detached? What fun is it watching people shoot at each other over and over again? There needs to be like a human element to it, if that makes any sense (I'm not that good with words). Our videos need emotion; something the viewer can relate to and go "wow, I want to do that!" It's rather difficult to explain.

And don't worry about the editing. Chief and I both have Apple desktops now, and we're looking to get good editing software. I have some very specific ideas on what kinds of videos I want to make. The only thing I need is to get people together and film good footage.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 am

Would the weekend of the 26th work for everyone instead? If we are going to change this for Keith we have to have complete buy in. Keith is an important part of our family here, but we still have 9 people confirmed for the 12th without him, and that's pretty good. Sunday is mother's day. I'm not fighting, so I leave that up to y'all. You could do a lot of staged fighting on Sunday if you'd like.

Regarding the video, I sort of agree, sort of disagree. I like having an actual video video of the war. The camera I just got (Go Pro Hero 5 Black) is very very good. The SJCam I was using before was borderline unusable. Adding a third quality camera will greatly increase the amount of usable footage we have from the actual war. We do have some good staged footage that we can use on things. It definitely has a winter vibe to it though, so it may look weird if we mix footage from that with staged footage from this time of year. I am ok with staging film for a promotional video, but I still enjoy the actual war videos.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue May 01, 2018 3:47 pm

The 26th is open so far. The 19th isn't. Talk to Keith though, I'm not sure exactly when he's available.

Raw war footage is good if you're an enthusiast viewer and we can certainly continue gathering it, but I was thinking more from a promotional standpoint. Most people aren't going to be that interested in watching actual war footage, even if you cut out the boring parts. Or maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. Maybe we have some really entertaining footage out there. But I still think we should do something more cinematic. That said, it's likely that I won't be able to stick around very long on Sunday for this war (unless we decide to move it to Memorial Day weekend), so maybe it'd be better to get together some other time just to film stuff.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue May 01, 2018 6:58 pm

I think I should be available May 26th. Are we still on for the 12th though? David and DX need to by bus tickets, so changing the date last minute wouldn't be good. IDK if they have bought tickets yet, or what the refund policy on such things is, but we need to get this sorted ASAP!

I was also going to try and get someone local to come, but I need to be able to tell them dates!
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed May 02, 2018 7:06 am

Someone call David & Rob and ask them. People need to pay attention to this thread more. It seems like sticking with the 12th may still be the best option, but I will switch to the 26th if everyone says that it works for them, because then Keith can come.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed May 02, 2018 10:25 am

Well I haven't heard from David yet, but Rob says the 26th wont work for him.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed May 02, 2018 11:07 am

Apparently I have a baby shower for my brother and sister in law on the 26th, so the 26th is a no. Sorry Keith.

Does everyone want to run 2018 like a league as SEAL suggested? If so, that would mean no team changes. We'd need teams for the entire year based off the knowledge that Keith will not be at MOAB and I will not be at HOG. I'm just not sure how balanced we could be that way. For instance, Ben, Rob, Danny, Stephen, Stephen's friend vs Seal, Scott, Tony, David at MOAB could end up as Rob, Danny, Stephen vs Seal, Scott, Keith, Tony, David at HOG. If the Trettels, Sam or Van James show up at HOG we could add them to Rob's team.

I love the idea of standing teams for a season, but it looks like it would lead to unbalanced matches based off attendance. Please provide alternate team suggestions that you think are more balanced. Or, if you don't want to do the standing teams then please mention that instead.

We are sticking with the 12th guys. Let's make this good.

Saturday, May 12
My current idea is to start at 11 AM at in the high marsh grass area and to play 1HS all day. That being said, I think this would be a very interesting location to play CTF in or some game where we combined CTF with 1HS and the flags count for 5 points. Let me know your thoughts.

Sunday, May 13
Filming staged battles

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed May 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Now that I think about it I don't think the 26th would work for me either. All May weekends are booked for me now.

As for the teams, I think you've got a couple things wrong. The idea was to have three battles this year: the first one here in Little Creek, the second one up north, preferably Cedar Hill, and the third one, which would serve as the championship game, at some other location, maybe in the middle somewhere. The HOG never had anything to do with the league, and would be a separate war, with my squad vs. the entire community. However we don't want to run it unless both sides are strong enough. It's not looking too good at the moment, but that's another discussion.

As for the teams, I'm pretty much okay with whatever as long as there's some kind of comradery between the members of each side. For example, I don't approve of putting Tony and Danny on opposite teams, in the same way that I wouldn't want to put Keith and I on separate teams.

The games would all be 1HS, with the championship game being of the invasion variety where the team who's doing the best gets to defend. We can add things like CTF in next season, but I wanted to keep it simple at first.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed May 02, 2018 5:58 pm

I’m still going to the war but without my friend,
He tore up his leg and will be on crutches for several weeks.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed May 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Two of Tony and Danny's friends are coming. They are ridiculously excited. So we have enough for 5 v 5 even without Chief and Storm's friend. Keep inviting folks! We could have the biggest water war ever if we can get a few more people.

Tony's suggestion: Tony, friend, Rob, Danny, Ben vs Scott, Brandon, David, friend, Stephen

Alternate we came up with: Rob, Stephen, Brandon, friend, David vs Ben, Tony, Danny, Scott, friend
2nd Alternative: Ben, Brandon, Tony, Danny, friend vs Rob, friend, Scott, Stephen, David
3rd Alternative: Ben, Rob, Stephen, David, friend vs Scott, Brandon, Tony, Danny, friend (Tony & Danny have never fought on the same team as Scott and Brandon at the same time)
4th Alternative: Ben, Rob, Brandon, friend, friend vs Scott, David, Tony, Danny, Stephen

some ideas...

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed May 02, 2018 8:14 pm

I’m good with teams that don’t put Ben and Rob on the same team. They work well together and counter each other.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

DX

Post by DX » Thu May 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Working well together is why I like being on Ben's team, regardless of the outcome. Neither of us have working 2000s or even heavy primaries right now, so I don't see why that would be OP? With these hit rules, where any felt amount of water is a hit, all you need is pretty much any heavy primary to push us back in a firefight.

We do tend to counter each other when an opposite teams, but that also tends to stagnate battles. If neither can gain an advantage, things grind to a halt and we just stand there shooting back and forth. The past battle was a bit different since I had the man disadvantage and didn't have the team cohesion necessary to push outnumbered maneuvering the way it needs to be done.

Another issue is the time it takes to get the battle started and how much the walk in saps many people. If Ben and I are on the same team, we can take the long walk in and the other team can start from the highway. That way the other team starts fresh and the battle gets underway sooner, as the walk in does not affect either of our battle endurances.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu May 03, 2018 2:46 pm

I have decided that the teams will be

Marauder, Duxburian, Area 51, Tony, Noah
vs
SEAL, the Oncoming Storm, Scott, David, Aaron

While I understand your concern, Rob and I do not have any working heavy primaries. We could be up against 2 2000s and a 300 with nothing heavier than a 1200.

We will play long OHS with one team starting at Ranch Rd and the other team starting at the highway. Each team must move toward the other team until contact is initiated. Camping in one location is not allowed. You are allowed to pause, for up to 5 minutes at a time, in order to conduct surveillance, rest, or plan.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (296.31 KiB) Viewed 10344 times

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu May 03, 2018 7:40 pm

DX wrote:Working well together is why I like being on Ben's team, regardless of the outcome. Neither of us have working 2000s or even heavy primaries right now, so I don't see why that would be OP? With these hit rules, where any felt amount of water is a hit, all you need is pretty much any heavy primary to push us back in a firefight.
Hence why I put emphasis on creating teams with good chemistry. Being on a team of people you work well with is a much better experience than trying to work with people who you don't click with as well. I don't care how balanced the teams are based on individual skill, all I care about is having a good quality battle. Of course, my problem is that the people I work best with are all the best players, so I kinda shoot myself in the foot by wanting it this way, unless we have a super team, which we shouldn't. Although someday I want to do me, Ben, Rob, Keith and Scott vs. everyone else. And I mean everyone. 15-man enemy team? Let's do it!
DX wrote:Another issue is the time it takes to get the battle started and how much the walk in saps many people. If Ben and I are on the same team, we can take the long walk in and the other team can start from the highway. That way the other team starts fresh and the battle gets underway sooner, as the walk in does not affect either of our battle endurances.
It may not be a problem for you two, but what about the rest of your team? Although I think each team gets dropped off at their starting point, right? The red team gets dropped off at Ranch Rd, and the blue team off of the highway.
marauder wrote:Marauder, Duxburian, Area 51, Tony, Noah
vs
SEAL, the Oncoming Storm, Scott, David, Aaron
I assume Noah and Aaron are your nephews' friends? How old are they and are they up for fighting all day? This ain't no wussy battle. Anyway I guess I'm okay with the teams. It'd be better if Noah and Aaron were on the same team, but of course that weakens my own team. I wish Keith could come. Some of my cousins have expressed interest as well, but of course they can't come due to the aforementioned graduation party.

So I guess we'll just go with those teams and see what happens. We can always reshuffle next season.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu May 03, 2018 11:11 pm

I'm kind of the opposite of SEAL, most the people I work best with are the not so good players, lol!

I haven't had much luck with local friends, one says there's a small chance he can come but probably can't, two others have exams the following Monday, and the rest aren't even worth asking.

And I have exactly one week to get in shape, great... I'm just hoping for cool weather, even during 9th grade when I was in the best shape of my life, above 85 I felt like I was going to pass out just walking around.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri May 04, 2018 3:31 pm

What side is each team starting on? In other words, who's the blue team and who's the red team? To me it doesn't matter, but I would like to know ahead of time in order to make battle plans. That's one of the main attractions of the league, at least for me. I like coming up with a master plan ahead of the battle, instead of doing it on the spot like most wars.

Edit: It's supposed to be 91 degrees for the war (though it's a week out). Ooooh, boy! I hope everyone brings lots and lots of drinking water.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Yeah, it could be a scorcher for this time of year. At least there is the creek? Should be several degrees cooler in its vicinity, wading in it to cross would definitely feel good.

The longer walk in shouldn't be a problem for my team since they're all from the area except me. I may suffer in high heat, but I'm usually able to just push through it when there is a need to. I did walk 28 miles round trip south of DC in 108 degree heat just to find freshwater mussels, after all.

The heat should be a good motivator to wake up early and start the war early! It will start off in the mid-60s and not really break 90 until after noon. I have much higher energy than last time we did this, so I can wake up in one second and be ready quickly.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon May 07, 2018 7:17 am

SEAL wrote:I assume Noah and Aaron are your nephews' friends? How old are they and are they up for fighting all day? This ain't no wussy battle. Anyway I guess I'm okay with the teams. It'd be better if Noah and Aaron were on the same team, but of course that weakens my own team.
They are 14 and are in the Royal Rangers / Scouts class that I teach with Danny. They were super excited. I was out of town this Sunday, so I will have to recheck with them on Wednesday. Last thing I heard was that they were clear to come.

SEAL, your team is the red team. That way you can park at the easier entrance and there is less chance of someone coming by and being concerned about why your vehicle is on the side of the highway. Just remember to move tactically across Ranch Rd and not to run out in front of cars or do anything stupid. I would suggest texting or calling Stephen, Scott, and David. If we had more time maybe we could set up your own forum, or just modify your SEAL team forum so that Stephen and David have access.