Hydroblitz 2014

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Hydroblitz 2014

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Date = whenever in march spring break is
Anyone invited
if possible bring some loners, my friends are weakly armed

Note
Sunday I will only be able to fight in between morning and evening church
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Hydroblitz 2014

Post by SEAL » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:14 pm

I am totally free from March 15th to March 23rd. I looked at the distance on the map and the drive actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be; it's about the same distance to my uncle's house in Charlotte, NC, and I can follow I-81 for almost the entire trip. So my chances of attending look good if the war is held somewhere between those dates (preferably not too close to either end).

You should post some details about the battlefield too. Would we be camping out there? Also, what kinds of rounds are we playing?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 pm

since it is a city park you would not be camping out, I have almost no planing right now (want rounds do you want) and I need to know when everyone else is available

I have a few rounds in mind
3 team round of Control Points (golf holes are CP's) 1.5 hours
Hunger Games (FFA, OHK Chaos) any players still "alive" at 1 hour must go to the soccer fields for a showdown
and
1 on 1 duels first to 3 hits wins (and advances to next round.
As for battlefield information I have limited personal knowledge and no photos or videos from which you can learn, Google it.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 pm

Just get some church people together to join the games. Some call it fellowship, I'd call it a drenching baptismal. =p

However, I'd need more than a disc golf course and FFA games to take work off and make the drive or buy a plane ticket. After 2013, I have standards now lol. Yhat said, I have a friend who lives there who I might visit, although he's in Murfreesboro, so I'd rather take a road trip than fly to avoid rental car costs. I could ask if he's interested, although we haven't talked in a long time.

I was hoping for something more specific than "Google the battlefield", but I guess that'll have to do for now.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:41 am

We have plenty of free time for other games, my games list only fills maybe 3 hours of play time (not even half a day), I need people to tell me what rounds they want and I can add them.

I expect us to get maybe 7 hours of action on any given full day

as for battlefield information here is a very rough map I made using google earth
Attachments
map.png
map.png (222.04 KiB) Viewed 3389 times

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 pm

rounds listed but not in order

Rivalry OHS battle (3 hours)
Infection (till everyone is dead)
Magic Hammer (1/2 hour)
3 team round of Control Points (golf holes are CP's 1.5 hours)
Hunger Games FFA, (any players still "alive" at 1 hour must go to the soccer fields for a showdown)
and
1 on 1 duels first to 3 hits wins (used to determine vets)
Veterans vs Noobs OHS (30

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Hmm, a lot of it looks like open fields, but I am liking the looks of "Dogwood Park" to the east of that big circle. It looks great in the summer (when the street view was taken), but I don't know about early spring. I like how it's long and narrow; teams can start far apart but don't have to worry about losing each other. Perhaps some other interesting games could be set up in the area around the pond, but in general open-field fighting is boring and tiresome. At least it looks like there is a great staging area, which should theoretically ensure plenty of fighting time, which I'm going to have to insist on having; after all I would be driving hundreds of miles to get there (though I'm definitely going to try combining the trip with something else). I want to do night rounds as well; is the park open 24 hours? I know oncoming storm's never hosted a community war before, but I will be genuinely upset if we waste a ton of time getting ready in the morning and/or driving around to locations. We always say that we're going to avoid such troubles, but we never do and I am so sick of it. This should be like a Nerf war (but more hardcore); fight, fight, fight! If you need any advice on hosting, feel free to ask me.

My thoughts on the games:
Rivalry OHS battle (3 hours): Of course I like this idea, but be aware that we'll probably need at least like 8 people for it to work well. People need to be serious about it too.
Infection (till everyone is dead): As per community war tradition, this should be done at night.
Magic Hammer (1/2 hour): Saywhat? Never heard of Magic Hammer before.
3 team round of Control Points (golf holes are CP's 1.5 hours): I'm worried that this might be a little too open, and with three teams you can get two of them ganging up on the other (even if they don't necessarily mean to). I think it'll definitely result in a LOT of running around, but likely not a whole lot of action in terms of hits made.
Hunger Games FFA, (any players still "alive" at 1 hour must go to the soccer fields for a showdown): I was going to do something like this for Downpour, but it got canceled thanks to The Great Attendance Drop. Might be fun, but I don't like the idea of having a "showdown" in open fields. Maybe a different place would work better?
and
1 on 1 duels first to 3 hits wins (used to determine vets): Duels tend to result in pretty boring standoffs unless there is a lot of cover, at least in my experience. I'd rather not do them unless there is a really great place or something, but I still vastly prefer team warfare.
Veterans vs Noobs OHS (30: I assume you'd be giving the "noobs" weaker guns. However unless people bring a bunch of guests, I feel like most of the players will be veterans. Going by your duel method to select "veterans" also leaves a lot to chance. It likely wouldn't truly be "veterans vs. noobs".

One thing I would like to play is some kind of night objective game. Could be CTF with 1 flag or 2, could be HTL, even outpost; doesn't matter. I just like playing objective games at night; heck, I like playing almost any kind of game at night. Aside from that, I really don't care. I'm more of the type who'd suggest changes to already thought-up games as opposed to coming up with games from scratch.

Obviously, I'll also need to know more details about the event itself, like where I'm staying, when it is, etc. I need to know everything before the first week of March so I have time to plan out the trip. We should also invite some of the midwest members like Nemesis who normally can't attend the east coast wars.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Seal thank you for your input about the rounds I will bypass the dueling and veterans round and go for another game.

I want people to request rounds because the list won't last for more than a day

Magic hammer is a game CA99 made, rules are simple if you get hit you are frozen unti either a teammate tags and frees you or the other team's hammer touchs and kills you

I can't find if the park is closed at dark but if it isn't we will hold infection thorn

I figure that the relatively open ground will make battles much more mobile and if otherwise WBL and APWC's will be useful stalmate busters.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:44 pm

My spring break is the weekend before SEAL's. The only way we could possibly do it where both of us could come would be the weekend of the 15th. I'm not that sure I can make that weekend, but I will look at my assignment schedule.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Good news, I won't be needing a loaner myself I fixed my 300 Leviathan!

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:45 pm

I can help you out with a playlist if I end up going. At the moment, I don't have much free time to assist with planning/maps, but I'll have a look around the area later.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:07 pm

The only way I could come on the 15th is if I pulled the same thing I did for MOAB: leave in the middle of the day Friday the 14th and get there at midnight. However it's harder in this case for two reasons: one, obviously it's farther than MOAB was, and two, I don't get out of class on Friday until 2PM at the latest (last year I got out earlier). I REALLY don't think I want to make that drive; I'd be getting there at like 3 in the morning if I'm lucky and don't fall asleep at the wheel. So the earliest I'd probably get there would be Saturday evening/night. Of course, from there on I wouldn't have to worry about going home for a while, so I could stick around and do other stuff or go other places. But I feel like I'd miss a bunch of fighting if I did that, and I'd basically just be replacing marauder (unless he can stick around for most of Sunday) instead of adding another head.

On the subject of loaners, I really doubt I'd have much room in the car for more than like 3 or 4 primaries if I'm lucky. Forget about WBLs or specialty gear.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:36 am

This puts me in an awkward position, the way this is looking I can either have the SEAL Bros or Ben but not both.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:09 am

I don't think it's worth holding unless you can get multiple members to show up. People would be spending ~$300 a piece to get there so there'd need to be a good number of members to warrant it.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:50 pm

I am only taking one class this semester as I am no longer studying for a degree but rather taking a 3 part prep corse to take the Microsoft A+ Certification test (to become a computer repair guy). The problem is that it is on Saturdays and the only day I don't have it (for spring break) is March 22. Just about all the work is done in class, a lot of it hands on, so there is no way I can afford to miss any classes. I would be free just about any week from Sundays-Fridays (so long as I left early on Friday so I could get enough sleep for class). If I come, I could bring lots of loaner guns (even if a friend came with me) though most of them would be medium guns - 1200s, Vindicators, and Vanquishers). Unless it is the weekend of the 22nd, the only way I could make it is if it was during the week.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:12 pm

I thought A+ was still CompITA? Never heard about Microsoft having to do with it lol. Then again, I also heard you have to learn how to troubleshoot historical artifacts such as dial-up modems, so a lot could've changed in the meantime lol. Also skeptical about your claim on being free during the week considering how often I see you online lol.

My ability to bring loaners depends on whether I even show up, and whether I drive there. My primary interest is still in the other events planned, but I may find good reason to go to this one too, I don't know yet.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:14 am

CA99 wrote:I thought A+ was still CompITA? Never heard about Microsoft having to do with it lol. Then again, I also heard you have to learn how to troubleshoot historical artifacts such as dial-up modems, so a lot could've changed in the meantime lol. Also skeptical about your claim on being free during the week considering how often I see you online lol.
I am often doing stuff during the week, but most of the time it isn't necessary stuff (such as editing my LEGO website) which can easily be put off until another time. I have a bad habit of being inactive for days at a time in which case it gets harder and harder to come back the longer I stay away (last time it was my LEGO site, this time though it was because I've been chain watching Stargate SG-1). I will try and log onto Skype tomorrow sometime, no promises though, I am actually going to be genuinely busy.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:14 am

Well, you haven't missed much at all. January has been pretty much completely dead when it comes to updates/activity.

Although I am curious to how this event will go and what excuses I can pull to go to TN. It's something worth getting done while it's still cold up here, but warm in the south. =p
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:31 am

Firstly sorry to M4 for not being able to attend I want the highest possible attendance so the war is for march 20-22

Scott believe me Meduim primarys would be a huge step up In firepower for my friends.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:26 pm

While the SS Liberation Front will lack it's elite core (M4, and DX), I am still planning on doing the rivalry round with some friends and CA99.

Does anyone have round suggestions, or will we come up with those Ad Hawk?