Frozen Fury 2013, NY/CT Epic Fall Water War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Frozen Fury 2013, CT Fall Water War

Post by marauder » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:59 pm

That is INCREDIBLE. Looks like a level off Tony Hawk Pro Skater.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:21 pm

marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:32 pm

That is absolutely incredible. Currently probably the only option I have is driving to Atlanta and then flying to NYC on the 4th and leaving on the 11th. That's $155 per ticket which may be affordable. I'm not sure if I will be able to make any other date.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Alright guys, I can definitely come if it's the weekend of the 7th. I can't make any other date. Rob, would you be able to give me a ride from the airport? That would be greatly appreciated. If everyone agrees on the date then I'll go ahead and buy my tickets. We need to decide soon, because if we wait longer it will just go up.

Speaking of which, maybe it's a good thing that we are looking up fighting in NY. That means less commuting time for SEAL.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:34 pm

I could probably work it out. I doubt I'll be staying anywhere overnight though. If that's the only date you can make it, then by all means I think we should go with it.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Perhaps it's best if we have both days fighting at the abandoned factory? That way it's closer to you and we can get more fighting in. If not, would you be able to get to Rob's house real early on one of the days so that we can have a lot of fighting at Paine, or wherever else we choose. What if instead we did a really (4-10 hours) long round in the abandoned factory? That actually sounds pretty awesome. I'm not sure if the environment would be conducive to that, but in theory it sounds like a lot of fun.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Well I definitely don't think a really long round would work well there. The place has plenty of room for fighting, but a lot of it is pretty open so there wouldn't be much stalking or ambushing. It would get pretty old after about an hour or two, because a lot of it is the same. Also, DX was talking about only going there in the morning to avoid stoners and maybe officials. The other thing is there are absolutely no water sources inside the building area; you have to go out (there's only one way) and walk all the way around the entire complex to get to the stream to fill with rather dirty-looking water.

I think the place is great for maybe half-hour long action-packed OHS or short OHK rounds; not sure about CTF, but it might work. But anything longer than an hour would probably not work due to the reasons I gave. If I can drive down to Beacon, then I should be able to go to CT as well, whether we go there on the same day(s) as when we go to the factory, or separately. I can get up at 4 in the morning and hit the road if I feel like it, so the time of day is not an issue at all.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Stoners are generally pretty nice. Skaters should be okay too, but I don't know them as well. The real issue is police and gangs, but I don't think it should be too bad. We checked the crime rates of the place, and it's pretty reasonable. DX requested not to put too much details here though, in case people search online for people organizing events at places.

I can tell SEAL's not a fan of constant, relentless, fast-paced soaking action. =p Don't worry, I've never had a girlfriend either. xD

That said, for sake of variety, I'd be fine with only a full day at the factory, and a day of woods for the other. I'd like to stay around as long as I can though, and get some more out of the plane ticket.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Uh, I love fast-paced games. What I don't like are the games held in small confined areas where movement is restricted and standoffs abound. Yes, I do like long, hardcore rounds more, but that's because I like stalking and maneuvering. It's a lot like real hunting, but you don't have to field-dress your victims. (*Dirty laugh*)

I think this battleground should be quite adequate for intense fighting, assuming teams don't camp out on the balconies/upper floors.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:47 pm

If we counted water balloon splashes (at least enough splash to equal a hit), they'd be so useful here. =D
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:00 pm

I will gladly pick everyone up at the airport(s).

The factory is not the greatest place for long rounds. Also, the risk of getting caught rises as the length of rounds increases. 30 minutes is probably the longest I'd be comfortable doing.

The creek next to the factory is very clean. We filled from the river the 2nd time because I didn't want to walk all the way back for that, and that's the dirty water. The creek is fine, but we do need to find a refilling spot out in the woods, away from the parking lot. AKA, between the factory and the rail line. Also, refilling is a pain because you have to leave and return through a single inconvenient entrance. Pretty much every other conceivable way in is firmly barricaded.

I'm going to remove the real names of locations (even the town its in) soon and replace them with fake ones. Unlike with the abandoned buildings at Long Beach West, the ones here are not exactly…part of the park that surrounds them. They are also more or less monitored. Early on a weekend morning in December should be pretty clear for us, but I'm not sure what will happen later in the day. Like with LBW, I'm pretty sure that people will either not care, or even think it's cool (that's so diesel!), but as the host, I want to take every precaution possible.

The factory will probably only be one day. Whether it's hardcore day or nephew day is still in the air. I am not inclined to want to take Ben's nephews here, although I thought that about LBW and that still turned out well. The factory feels more dangerous than LBW even though it's more open and the town it's in is far safer than Bridgeport. This is mainly because weird people are more likely to go there. LBW is very remote, I have never seen anyone else at the theater.

If people want to stay beyond the weekend, there are many things we can do, either water war related or "normal". We can explore the Hudson Highlands and find the Cornish estate + Foundry and skirmish there. We can go thrifting in Thrift Store Valley/Alley. We can skirmish at LBW since Sam's never seen the abandoned theater before. We can go into NYC and dick around. We can take a mini road trip. We can just do whatever.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Long Beach is long (although not as long as longcat.) Sounds like a plan.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:45 am

Awesome, I will be purchasing my tickets tonight. Friday-Saturday works best for me. Friday since the kids will be in school. If we end up doing Saturday-Sunday then I will in all likelihood have them both days. Of course, everyone else could do Friday, Saturday, Sunday like last time if you want.

I think the (almost said fear) factory might be best for when Tony and Danny are involved. They would think it's absolutely awesome, and I don't think Tony can keep up with us if we end up fighting long hardcore battles at Paine or a similar venue. On the other hand I completely understand the safety and security risks. How about this: 1 day consists of longer hardcore battles in a wooded venue, the other is a mixed day with factory fighting from 9-12 and various woods games in a near (to the factory) legal venue. ?

What kind of rounds do we plan on playing? I assume that if we're doing one long hardcore day we will play only 1-3 rounds. We could do an all morning battle, meet for lunch, then do something different (CTF, 1hk, chaos, etc.) for a short while, and then go back to 1 hit scores until it gets dark. Or we could just play 1hs all day. In regards to the fighting at the factory I think we'd be better off with more asymmetrical games. E.g. every man for himself 1hk, random teams chaos with random blasters, ctf, buddy pairs of 1 experienced player with a light blaster and 1 newer player with whatever they want. Just throwing some ideas out. I also liked Rob's ideas of making Tony and Danny have infinite lives except vs each other. You will have to explain that one to everyone again. I think that would work well in the woods or the factory.

What kind of blasters do we want to use? I am only worried about hypothermia/getting too soaked when Tony and Danny are involved. I can't speak for anyone else but I will be fine on the other day no matter what we use.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:19 am

I would avoid the 2000 for Fear Factory for three reasons: 1. Difficult to maneuver in tight spaces, 2. Lack of water source in playing area, 3. The last blaster you want to have to worry about if we get in trouble. This is the one place where the 2000 can fall easily to a... Max-D 2000 lol.

If we only have a half day at Fear Factory, can we run the rest of the half at LBW? I gotta get my fix of CQB this war, and I'm dead serious on getting that. FF looks like it'd be the best spot for CTF, or a huge variety of other games. We definitely need to avoid games that take too long to setup for FF, and CTF may be pushing it. 1-flag CTF or single objective SnD is probably as far as we should go, although simple HTL could work just fine.

If DX was right about it being 40° in CT that time of the year, then I'm good to go. Never got hypothermia in 40° rain at Legend Park woods; I did just fine staying warm. (Although that's because of the rain suit "armor" I wore lol.)

If we go with infinite lives for the cannon fodder (heheheh), we'll all have to be clear on the rules for them. That'll also give some rather odd strategic opportunities as well.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 am

I would rather not spend half a day at the Fear Factory and half at LBW. Don't get me wrong, I love LBW, but driving and set up time would be way too much considering how short the days will be. If we bring Tony and Danny then that's a long walk out on the beach, bathroom issues, etc. that we have to be concerned about. If we do Fear Factory and LBW on the day they aren't there then we are forfeiting any opportunity to have long hardcore rounds.

I don't want to play hold the line. I wouldn't be concerned about CTF set up time, but I would be concerned about people running and tripping and getting cut up on something rusty. The best case scenario that I can think of at the moment would be all day rivalry on Friday, with 1 to 3 rounds, and then a lot of shorter rounds on Saturday at Fear Factory and in the woods. I don't think we should band 2000s simply because they run out of water quickly. If that's an issue then it's on the 2000 user(s) to make sure they bring enough extra water or that they play conservatively.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:37 am

We're not necessarily banning anything; if someone wants to take the risk of bringing a 2000 in, go right ahead. I'm just saying why I think that's a bad idea.

We seem to have very different ideas of "hardcore". I want more shooting than hunting/walking in woods looking for people. As for round length, that's a general limitation of where we're playing, but I don't think it makes it any less "hardcore" just because they're shorter 1HK games.

Anyway, it's up to DX on how we want to mix wooded vs. urban combat. Having little real experience with the latter, I'm going to have to opt for getting as much urban warfare in as possible. We can do (and have done) woods warfare any other time, and we have. Nothing against it, it just doesn't hurt to have a change of things which is why I'm completely stoked for this new place. Unfortunately, security and water supply issues seem to be holding us back.

How are the lengthy rounds going to play out? Are they just going to be 4-8-hour 1HS games or will there be something more interesting?
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:21 pm

I am very excited about the new place as well. I am also a big fan of fast paced action. What I meant was hardcore was a very long (3+ hours) match in the woods. I didn't mean that something else couldn't be hardcore, that's just the word some of us were using to describe that type of match. If we do a very long OHS games I want to restrict the battlefield so that it's more narrow in order to force contact. Just thinking it over again I'm not sure if now is the best time to play that type of match since there will not be nearly as much concealment as during the summer. What's the situation on hiding spots and visibility levels in Paine and other wooded areas Rob?

Also, how long is the walk out of Fear Factory to get more water? We could easily bring in a few jugs to cut back on the amount of travel needed. Or some of us can still to high field life blasters like Gorgons :goofy: . I really want to take my PPB, but Southwest doesn't fly from here to NY, so I would have to pay to send it.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:37 pm

I'll play 3-4 hours of 1HS (Edit: My bad.), but beyond that just seems pointless. As for water supply, we need to get our logistics together. We should've done this at Downpour to cut down on downtime between rounds: bring containers into easy distance of the playing area for access between or even during games.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:52 pm

I thought we were talking about 1hs, but I am cool with 1hk as well. What's the maximum amount of time you'd be cool with for a round of 1hs?

After seeing y'all backpack an entire car's worth of soakers into Saint John's Woods I know we can bring in a lot of water rather quickly. I'd rather have people bring 2 primaries max and a bunch of refill containers than a bunch of primary blasters. With that being said I don't want to be going back and forth to the car to get waterbottles. Ideally we would all be carrying backpacks packed with ammo while carrying our blasters. I completely agree, we need to know ahead of time exactly what we are doing about transport and resupply, and then stick with the plan to ensure maximum amount of time is spent on the battlefield.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:57 pm

We can use a bunch of primaries if they're all filled, but that's still more stuff to loose.

My bad, I meant 1HS. Gonna edit.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare