Soakemore 2013: SEAL's Full War Story

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Soakemore 2013: SEAL's Full War Story

Post by SEAL » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:51 am

Soakemore: SEAL's Full-Length War Story

Day 1 - Friday, May 24th:

First of all, I wasn't sure exactly which route I was going to take; Poseidon was talking to me about needing a ride down if his parents couldn't take him, so if that were the case I would have to take a different route to go past the city. However I got no reply from him, so I assumed that his parents were taking him... I took the Pennsylvania route; I-84 to I-81 to US-15, which took me to the beltway around DC. This route had zero tolls, and almost no traffic problems except for right at the end on I-495. I also almost ran out of gas trying to make it all the way down on one tank. I still made it though!

So anyway, my arrival time was around 15:50, just a few minutes earlier than when I said I'd get there. When we first got there the only participants were Scott and his friend Sam. We spent the afternoon scouting out places to fight; first we checked out a forest area where Scott originally wanted to have the night battles, but we found it to be rather thick, which wouldn't be a huge problem except for the fact that the entire "forest" was smaller than the woods behind marauder's (old) house in NC. We knew that wouldn't work, but Scott's mom suggested that we go to a nearby school that was out of sight from the surrounding houses. There wouldn't be anyone there at night, and there weren't any houses near enough for their occupants to notice and call the cops.

The school looked like an absolutely epic place to fight at night, and we were very excited about fighting there. It offered a great mix of urban and forest environments. I've always wanted to fight in a place like that, though it would've been even better if we'd been able to fight inside as well. When we got back to Scott's house, his friend Callan showed up. DX and CA99 wouldn't be there until much later, but we still had six people. Once it started getting dark, we filled up the guns and drove over to the school. There were actually quite a few cars in the parking lot still (maybe a teacher's meeting or something), but we decided to go ahead and fight anyway.

Round 1 - OHS, Light CPS or Smaller

My team:
Me (SEAL): CPS 21K (30 balloons)
Callan (Scott's friend): XP 150
chief: CPS 1200
vs.
Enemy team:
Firebird: CPS 1021
Sam (Scott's friend): Vanquisher
scottthewaterwarrior: CPS 1000

The spawn points were at these trailer things on opposite sides of the building. Respawning was done simply by touching one of them, since it would take long enough just to walk to them. My team started on the side that I will refer to throughout this report as "the right starting point", since it is to the right of the building when facing the front doors. Scott has the right to come up with some crazy name for it if he wants.

The right side of the school was right up against the woods, with only enough room for maybe two people to walk abreast in one spot (which someone called "Ambush Alley"). It was here where I decided to try laying an ambush. Our starting/spawn point was more towards the front of the building, but we were waiting on the end of Ambush Alley facing the rear of the building. We sat quietly for a few minutes, but there was no sign of the enemy. At one point someone (I have no idea who) ran past us on the road, which was just beyond the woods at Ambush Alley. This made my heart skip a few beats, but it became clear that it wasn't anyone that we were concerned with.

Since we didn't see anyone at the rear of the school, I figured that they must have gone around the front, because we would've seen them by then if they'd taken the former route. So I had the team head back along Ambush Alley, towards where we had started from. We hadn't gone 50 feet when I saw our opponents walking away from us. It looked like they'd come halfway down Ambush Alley, but decided to turn back for some reason. Maybe they suspected we were there, but they still didn't see us, so I took point and moved quickly towards them as they disappeared around the corner.

Unfortunately I was spotted as I got to the corner, and my streams were dodged. We then got into a pretty intense firefight , but no kills were made on either side. My team pushed the enemy out into the open in front of the school, where we exchanged shots in vain until the time ran out. I spent most of the time engaging Scott right in front; at one point we were actually fighting among the columns right in front of the front door. A lot of it was fighting in the open, which is very demanding but also rather uneventful in terms of hits made. It was also rather windy, causing the streams, especially those from the K-modded guns, to break up quite a bit.

So it was a 0-0 tie, but not due to standoffs. It is very hard to get hits in the open. For this reason, we decided to try keeping the fighting at the rear of the school, where there was more cover and concealment. The first round was fun, but we hadn't used the best parts of the battleground yet.

Round 2 - OHS, Light CPS or Smaller

My team:
Me: CPS 1200
chief: CPS 21K
Sam: Vanquisher
vs.
Enemy team:
Callan: Vindicator
Firebird: CPS 1021

This time my team started at the left starting point. Immediately after starting, my team took the hill that was a couple hundred feet behind the school (there were some baseball fields on top), where we had a view of almost the entire rear of the building. We waited there for a little bit before the enemy made an appearance to the right, coming around the building by our spawn point. They started coming up the hill to our right; I don't know if they saw us or not, but they weren't coming any closer. Then I saw Callan go prone on the ground. I figured that he would have trouble getting away if I shot at him, so I took my chances and leaped up.

I fired a barrage of shots at the figure laying on the ground; I can't remember if I hit him or not, but Scott struck from the side and got me. I think my team engaged the enemy, but I don't remember because I was busy respawning. When I got back, nobody could be seen anywhere. I have no idea what my team was doing then, or where the enemy team was. However while I was searching for my team, I did some exploring and found a hidden path through the woods that led from one of the baseball fields on the top of the hill to down near Ambush Alley. I made a mental note of it, because it looked like it could definitely come in handy.

After a little while of searching, I ended up back on the hill again, laying on my stomach surveying the area. Finally I saw the enemy heading left, over towards Ambush Alley. This was my chance to pull off an ambush from the hidden path I found. I quietly ran over to the path, and started making my way down. It was almost pitch-black, and I could just see enough to avoid losing the path. Thankfully there was nothing to trip on. As I crept through the darkness, I heard voices up ahead. By the sounds of things, the enemy had found my team, and they were caught in a standoff. My heart started beating really fast as I got to the end of the path and saw the enemy just barely out of range. Scott was in the lead, and I made him my prime target. I moved forward ever so slowly, trying to avoid stepping on leaves. Finally I got right at the edge of the woods, and decided to strike. I jumped out of the woods, unloading shots at Scott. It looked like I made a hit, but apparently all the streams missed, likely thanks to the damn wind.

We exchanged a few shots before the enemy retreated towards the hill. I decided to use the path again to get to the top and cut them off. For some reason or another, there is a blank spot in my memory, and I have no idea what happened next. All I know is, my team somehow ended up at the bottom of the hill attacking the enemy, who was on top. It was like a Hold the Line situation now. chief and Sam attacked from the left, distracting the enemy so I could attack from the right. I blasted Callan on my way up, then shot Jon from behind while he was distracted. Scott turned around and unloaded, but I jumped out of the way while shooting with one hand. Scott was hit, and I was sure that I had been too, but I didn't feel anything and a quick check revealed that I had somehow avoided the stream. I was really surprised.

Soon after, the time ran out and my team won 3-1 (I think), which also happened to be my kill/death ratio for that round, haha. I was the only one on my team to make kills and get killed. That was the last round on Friday, and we went back to Scott's house to wait for DX and CA99. When they arrived we stayed up until like 2:00 before going to sleep.

Day 2 - Saturday, May 25th:

Originally the plan was to get going at 9:00, but we ended up leaving like an hour later thanks to a bunch of sleepyheads. Seriously, how hard is it to get up at 9:00 or earlier? :P I woke up at like 6:30 (though I didn't actually get out of bed until around 7:30 or 8:00), and I was up just as late as everyone else. Sure, I was a little tired during the fighting, but I still had enough energy to function. For future wars though, I suggest that we go to bed a little earlier than like midnight.

Sycamore Island was situated a couple hundred feet from the shore of the Potomac River, and required you to take this ferry thing across. I have pictures of it, but it's basically a floating platform that you pull across by using a cable which is strung across the water. On the island, there is a "clubhouse" which is used for parties and the such. There are picnic tables littered around, as well as canoe racks and a treehouse. Almost the entire island was covered in these chest-high plants, which made excellent concealment. Overall, it looked like a great spot to fight. After setting up everything, we picked teams and began the first round of Saturday.

Round 3 - OHS

My team:
Me: CPS 1500
chief: CPS 2500
Duxburian: CPS 2000
Sam: CPS 2500
vs.
Callan: CPS 1000
Firebird: CPS 2500
CA99: CPS 2500
scottthewaterwarrior: CPS 1500
Trevor (CA99's friend): CPS 2000

If you notice, each team has one 2000, one 1500, and two 2500s. Callan was the odd man out with a 1000. Each team started on one side of the island; we started on the right (when you first land on the island), and the enemy started on the left. Our side had the wind advantage, so we were going to play defensively. This ended up working well because the enemy opened by attacking from the field in the middle of the island. I remember sneaking through the foliage, looking for an ambush opportunity. I'm not sure what happened next, but Sam got stuck on something and was hit (probably by Scott), and the enemy secured a position upwind.

I attempted to ambush CA99 and Trevor, but it didn't really work because they saw me ahead of time. However I distracted them long enough for DX to shoot both of them from the side. From there I think we drove back the others; can't remember if we killed any of them or not. Either way, we regained a favorable position, and from there I don't think much happened. I don't remember if any more kills were made. CA99 and Trevor tried to sneak all the way around behind us, but the round ended before they completed the task. It was a great battle, and it's a shame that I can't remember a whole lot of it. I really loved fighting in the foliage; it offered great concealment, and it required a different sort of fighting than we'd been doing. It was more of a stealth game.

Once that round was over we had lunch, and then started discussing HTL at the treehouse. As I mentioned in the Soakemore thread, I wasn't too keen on the idea, and figured that it'd either be a standoff, or the defenders would get destroyed. For this reason, I decided to sit out and film. I hoped to get some good footage.

Round 4 - HTL

Attacking team:
Firebird: CPS 1500
Duxburian: CPS 2000 & APWC
Sam: CPS 1500
CA99: CPS 2500 & Douchenator WBL
vs.
Defending team:
Callan: CPS 10K
scottthewaterwarrior: CPS 2500
Trevor: CPS 2000

I got almost the entire round on camera, except for the end 'cause my camera was running low on batteries and I didn't want to use them all up. The round pretty much ended up as I predicted; most of it was each side staring at each other. At the beginning DX ran up with the water cannon and hosed down the treehouse, soaking either one or both of it's occupants (Scott and Callan). The treehouse actually didn't get slaughtered because chief and Trevor were guarding it from the ground. Still, aside from the water cannon blast and the occasional Douchenator shot, the round was pretty uneventful. I think some of the attackers got killed once or twice, and the defense easily stayed alive and won the round.

None of the WBL shots found their targets. Most of the time I noticed that they were aimed too low; the opposite problem that I have, because I often underestimate how far my launcher can shoot. One of the shots slammed into the metal side of the treehouse, making a loud BANG, and leaving a dent in the metal. It was really awesome, and I can see why CA99 wanted to do another round; he had a lot more fun than everyone else. The rest of us voted against it though, so we decided to move on to the naval round, which everyone had been waiting anxiously for. I was excited too, because I enjoyed the one at Hydropocalypse. Drenchenator had also shown up, so we now had even numbers.

Round 5 - Naval HTL

My team (defense):
Me: Douchenator WBL & CPS 2700
Callan: CPS 3200
Duxburian: APWC & CPS 2000
CA99: Douchenator WBL & CPS 2500
vs.
Enemy team (offense):
Drenchenator: CPS 2100
Firebird: Stream Machine (medium-length)

Basically the rules were like we talked about in the thread; if all attackers are hit while still in the water, they must go back into the middle of the river and respawn. If one or two people get hit, they simply cannot help their team in any way until either everyone else in the boat is eliminated, or the shore is captured. Once the shore is captured, the boats become the spawn points. I think we had some kind of objective as well, but it was a little disorganized and I don't think any of us knew what exactly we were supposed to be doing other than, "Shoot the enemy!"

The defenders had a pretty impressive arsenal, since it was Hold the Line, where the defenders only have a limited amount of lives. However, it turned out that all the extra stuff would hinder us more than help us. To start with, CA99 and I took shots with our Douchenators, while DX waited for an opportunity to unleash a miniature tidal wave with his water cannon. Launching water balloons was a blast, as always, but since I lost my excellent sabots at MOAB (does anyone know what could've became of them?), I had to use Pringles cans and other hastily made sabots, which didn't always work that well. The balloons often burst in the barrel, and the Pringles cans flew dangerously far. A few times I thought I was in safe range (about 100-150 feet), but when I fired, the Pringles cans would rocket through the air over my target's head.

However, the highlight of this round was me making the first-ever community kill with a WBL, at Drenchenator's expense. It was really weird because the balloon looked like it was going to fall short, but then it bounced up off the water like a skipping stone and hit its target. I was really pissed that we didn't get it on film; DX forgot to turn on the "gun cam", and we forgot to bring my little flexible tripod thing to mount a camera on (otherwise I would've gotten footage of the battle). DX also made a couple hits with the cannon as well, but in the end, the attackers pulled up onto shore because most of us were busy with the launchers.

I quickly dropped the bike pump, picked up my 2700, and charged over to the action zone. From there both teams engaged in a somewhat intense fight, with plenty of kills made. None of us were eliminated though. I think we were supposed to defend something else, but I don't remember what. We need to come up with these rules ahead of time. I know we talked about it on the board, but we didn't have a definite plan of what the other objectives were to be. Either way, the round ended and I think my team won, but I'm not sure because while the enemy landed, we did get more kills than they did.

Now, to be fair, we had to switch sides so that each team could have a turn attacking and defending. We made the decision to ditch the WBLs for this round and just go with conventional soaking equipment. CA99 and Trevor used homemades for this round, which made things interesting. I believe Bela showed up as well, and joined the enemy team.

Round 6 - Naval HTL

My team (offense):
Callan: CPS 1000/10K?
CA99: CPH & Stream Machine (short)
Trevor: APH
vs.
Enemy team (defense):
Bela (Scott's friend, who went to Downpour 2012): ???
Firebird: Stream Machine (medium-length) & CPS 2700

I'm not sure about some of the blasters in this round. I should've written them down on Notepad or something, but I completely and totally forgot. Oh well, it's not that big a deal. The round itself is more important. And what a round it was! We spent the entire round going back and forth trying to land, but the enemy had a huge advantage over us, so attacking would prove to be practically impossible. First of all, there was the problem of boundaries. The enemy could spread out and cover pretty much all of where we were supposed to attack. Secondly, we could not dodge while sitting in a canoe. Also, we were outnumbered. I think for a game like this, the offense needs to outnumber the defense to make things fair. Though I'd be fine if we never did a round like this again. Nobody who had to attack enjoyed it. I think if we ever have naval wars in the future, they should be boat vs. boat.

So this was definitely my least favorite round of the war. The canoe I was in only had two seats, so I had to kneel on the floor, which was extremely painful for me because of this arthritis thing I had. It still plagues me whenever I try to crouch or kneel for too long. I kept my 1500 strapped around my neck the entire time, which gave me strap-burns. It was also really hot, and I didn't bother taking off my camo jacket. Overall a miserable round for me, even without the fact that we couldn't land. I think the only reason the enemy landed in the first round was because my team was busy with the launchers and not paying much attention to our opponents. Now that we'd eschewed them, the enemy could focus completely on stopping us from landing.

So the round ended while we were still in the water, and we paddled back to shore. We were fooling around back at the shore, shooting at CA99 and Trevor's boat, and CA99 lost his eyeglasses in the water. Obviously, this was not good, as he couldn't see very well now. Because of this he sat out the next round; a bunch of other people did too (though they had no good reason to!), so we now only had enough for 3 on 3. We decided to do a round in the same place where we had the first one, because it had those great bushes for concealment. I thought that it was OHK, but for some reason I remember playing it like it was OHS. I don't remember it too well.

Round 7 - OHK/OHS

My team:
Bela: CPS 2500
vs.
Enemy team:

We started near the clubhouse building, while the enemy started out somewhere by the shore. I wasn't thinking too clearly this round, so when the enemy made no appearance, we just struck out to look for them. We didn't really take a smart, tactical approach; we just walked down the trails looking for someone to shoot. Before long we found DX and Scott, and dueled them a bit before chief ambushed us from behind. I seriously should've noticed that someone on the enemy team was missing, but like I said, I wasn't thinking extremely clearly during the game. It can probably be attributed to lack of sleep and fatigue from previous rounds, especially the second naval battle.

I'm pretty sure we lost everybody (I felt a little bit of water and called the hit, but I don't know if it was actually enough to count), so I thought the round was over, but I remember going around and trying to attack them from the open afterwards. Well either way my team lost, because no kills were made then. I was a little embarrassed and annoyed, but on the other hand, losses are good because you learn from them. Unfortunately that was the last round of Saturday. I really wanted to have a night battle or two on the island, but apparently we weren't allowed to be there after dark. At least there was still the school, which we could now fight at with more people. But we ended up playing video games or something instead... Thankfully we would fight there the next night.

Day 3, Sunday, May 26th:

We weren't the first ones up this time......no I'm just kidding, of course we were. Once everyone else actually did wake up, CA99 and Trevor went out to look for someplace where CA99 could get a pair of contacts or something. When we finally got to Carderock, it was almost noon. We spent a bunch of time looking for places to fill up and fight, and finally decided on a spot near the parking lot. It was mostly flat with some hills on either side. We would just do OHS.

Round 8 - OHS

My team:
vs.
Enemy team:
Bela: CPS 1000?
Firebird: ???

My team took to a hill on our side, where we also placed our spawn point. The hill wasn't a great position, but it was better than being on the flat ground. The enemy started by attacking our position; chief took the left, Sam and Firebird attacked the center, and Bela moved around to the right. Their approach didn't work out so well, and a couple of them got killed by either me or Scott. chief tried to attack from behind where the terrain was more in their favor, but couldn't get past DX. Eventually him and Bela did, but we still managed to hold them off. I was doing a lot of shooting so I had to switch to 5X at the end, but I still made it without running out.

And that's really all there is to say. The entire battle took place in pretty much the same spot. The hill really wasn't that hard to attack, but our opponents just couldn't come together and take it. I would've brought the whole force around to the rear, which had a much more gentle slope and would not be nearly as hard to attack. I don't think my team got a single death. CA99 and Trevor also showed up about midway through the battle, and went off to refill. We went through a lot in between then and lunch, which I don't even want to talk about. I'll just skip straight over to the next battle.

I ran into a problem when I was filling my 1500; I was pumping water into the PC before topping it off, when *SNAP*, the pump handle broke clean off. Not exactly sure how the heck that happens, but it left me with only one usable primary. My CPS 2700 has not failed me yet, even though the trigger developed a small crack a little while ago. Before this war I had reinforced it with epoxy and carbon fiber strips, so the only potential point of failure had been resolved. So on to the battle; we were originally going to play CTF, but came to the decision to do a longer OHS round because we didn't think the terrain would work for CTF. There were a lot of rocky areas, similar to some of the places at Dug Hill and Onteora Lake.

Round 9 - OHS

My team:
Me: CPS 2700
Firebird: CPS Splashzooka
vs.
Enemy team:
Bela: ???

This round was fun. We started by slowly making our way to the left, with the intentions of circling around and attacking the enemy from the rear, since there were higher elevations behind their starting point. As we moved along a trail, we caught a glimpse of our opponents through the trees. I don't think they saw us, so we hurried along to get to our destination. By the time we took up position on a tall hill (more like a big pile of rocks, actually), they could no longer be seen. I kept thinking that I saw them, but it would always turn out to be just some hikers. There were quite a few people walking around. Luckily nobody seemed to mind a bunch of weirdos in camo running around with water guns.

Finally we caught sight of who we were looking for. My whole team was crouching among big rocks, so I didn't think that they saw us at first. After what seemed like an eternity of keeping still, the enemy finally got close enough for us to come out. We didn't really hit anyone in the first assault (or at least not that I know of), but I think they knew we were there by that time anyway. Now we had to hold them off from the hill. It wasn't a real big challenge, though they did try to surround us. Scott came around from the right, Trevor attacked the rear, and Bela tried to join Scott, but I shot him both times he tried to run over. CA99 and Sam took up a position in the front. We did a good job at holding them off until the very end when Trevor distracted DX long enough for Scott to rush in and make the kill. I think the round ended right after that happened.

So we definitely won that one. We took a good position and held it just until the round ended. It was pretty fun, though it doesn't quite make the highlight reel for me. Still, aside from perhaps some of the night rounds, it was the most hardcore battle we had for the whole war. I would've liked to have had some longer ones though, like an hour or more. In contrast, the next round would be one of the most casual. Some of us were discussing how keeping track of individual stats causes people to take things very defensively, and often causes people to brush aside hits that might have normally been counted if we weren't keeping track of stats. Like DX said, everybody's at least a little guilty of it (except for the newbies, who don't give a crap).

So for this next round, we decided not to keep track of stats and just count how many times you were killed, simply for the purpose of adding up the deaths to see which team wins. There weren't any spawn points; you would just put your hands up in the air and count to 10 or 20 (don't remember which). It strongly reminded me of the first Thunder Gulch round we had. We played it in a semi-flat section near the parking lot. Unfortunately some people were apparently tired already (two 20-30 minute rounds in one day is murder, man!), so we had to make due with the bare minimum amount of players for a decent round (3vs3).

Round 10 - OHS

My team:
vs.
Enemy team:

As it turned out, this was my best round of the war, and one of my favorites, too. Despite being more aggressive than usual, I got a lot of kills (like 5 at the very least) and only got hit once (I think it was by Trevor, but I can't remember for certain; not that it matters). Firebird didn't play but he took up the camera and got some good action shots. I did a lot of flanking in this battle, running around the perimeter of the fighting. We basically fought until everyone was out of water. Even though I had a 2700, I was actually one of the first to run out, due to all my shooting (and it wasn't completely filled either), all of which was on 10X. But it was great fun, and I'm pretty sure my team won. As I went back to the car, some of the others started engaging in a soakfest. Firebird had put the camera back in the car, so I decided to grab it to get some funny pictures of everyone messing around. It was then when I found out that my pocket was empty...

Oh snap. I had lost my car keys. I seriously almost had a panic-attack, but I kept calm and went back to where we had been fighting. I had the keys before the round started because I used them to open the car when we got back from the second round. Thankfully the fighting was in such a small area, because had I lost them in the previous round where everything was spread out, I would've never found them. I still spent probably over an hour searching for them with the help of everyone else. Scott had gone back to his house to drop off his friends, but came back after he noticed that we hadn't followed him. By that time I was almost ready to give up, when Scott did a brief search of the area and found them! Thanks Scott, you sure saved my ass that time. Wow.

So after that little crisis had been resolved, we went back to Scott's house, then went out to eat dinner at a diner in DC. When we got back, it was time to prepare for the night wars. Remember that DX, CA99, and Trevor had not even fought there yet, and we hadn't had a chance to fight there with greater numbers than 3vs3. There was no way I was going to leave the war until we had those rounds. Thankfully it didn't go the way Saturday did, and we piled our guns into the cars and drove over to the school. Since we hadn't done CTF yet, we decided to do it here. It definitely sounded like it would be amazing, and I could hardly wait to get started. Once again, we switched to light CPS-only. Sam left, but we still had enough for a 4vs4.

Round 11 - CTF, Light CPS or Smaller

My team:
Bela: CPS 1200
Me: CPS 1021
Firebird: CPS 12K
Trevor: Vindicator
vs.
Enemy team:
Duxburian: CPS 10K
CA99: CPS 1200

The flags (we used a pair of MD 3000s because I forgot to bring mine) were at each starting point, the same ones that we used on Friday night. We stuck them on the railings for the ramps that led into the trailers (or whatever the heck they are). My team started at the right starting point, which was definitely more defendable than the left. I was stuck with the newbies, so I figured that it'd be best if I went on offense. Firebird wanted to stay on defense, which was probably a good thing, because I wanted at least one person I could trust back at the base. I ended up going with Trevor to attack. My plan was to take the route behind the school, take the hidden path up to the hilltop, and attack from the woods there while Trevor distracted them by taking the direct route in the open across the basketball court.

Everything went as planned until I actually got to the base. I was spotted before I could make an ambush from the woods, and Trevor got himself shot. After exchanging a few shots, I disappeared back into the woods to try and attack from another angle. Only CA99 and Scott were there, meaning that chief and DX had gone on the assault. I hoped that my defense could hold them back as I made my way around behind the enemy base. I could see Scott and CA99 patrolling around the base as I crouched behind a tree. It didn't look like it'd be easy to sneak in, though I did manage to move closer when their backs were turned. Suddenly Firebird appeared from the front of the school, which was to my right. I guess he must have switched places with Trevor or something.

This was just the distraction I needed. I moved in as Firebird battled the defense. This attempt at the flag didn't quite work either, as Firebird was hit as I got close, and their attention was not held any longer. I tried to ambush them, but it didn't really work. I don't remember the details, but I tried to hide in the shadows of a corner and shoot them from there. I poked out to take some shots; Scott was the first person I targeted, but as I blasted in his direction, a burst of water from CA99's blaster caught me right in the arm. I'm not sure if I hit Scott or not. The defense was tough, but I wasn't ready to give up yet! I jogged back to my base to find everybody there. No sign of DX and/or chief, though Trevor and Bela reported hearing rustling in the woods behind our base.

After I respawned, it was time to regroup and think up a new strategy. This time, I would send Trevor around the back, going the same route as last time, but I would go around the front of the school and attack the base from the opposite side. There wasn't as much concealment in the front, but it was dark. I mainly stuck to the shadows of the trees, moving into a position about 300 feet from the base, with only the parking lot in between. To get to the flag, I would have to run across the open. About that time, Trevor had reached the base and had successfully captured their attention. It was now or never. I quietly ran across the parking lot, right up to the trailer. The flag was right in front of me. I quickly decided that it would not be a good idea to try taking out the defenders, so I simply swiped the flag.

I might have made a little too much noise though, because Scott noticed me and took off in hot pursuit as I dashed across the parking lot. It was truly an awesome adrenaline rush. For some reason though, I would start to get headaches whenever I exerted myself (it started the day before we left for the war, when I was doing chin-ups at the gym). It's never happened to me before this, and it still occurred about a week after the war. I think it's gone now; hopefully it stays that way. But during the chase, my head was throbbing with pain, and slowing me significantly. I kept looking over my shoulder to see Scott gaining. Once he got close enough, I turned my body and extended my arm, unloading a long 1021 shot in his direction. I heard a "Darn it!" Yes! I continued running; I was almost there...

As I rounded the corner of the school and my base came into view, I saw that DX and chief had finally made an appearance, and were squaring off against my defense. I made one final sprint towards our trailer thing; DX saw me and ran in from the side at full speed. I knew that if I couldn't outrun Scott, there was no way I was going to outrun DX, so I once again sprayed water all over the place (I still had plenty left in the PC, even though I hadn't repumped since shooting at Scott) in his direction as Firebird attacked from behind. I have no idea what happened, but I didn't feel any water so I kept on running. chief was trying to climb over the railing to get to our flag, but I was so caught up in getting that flag over there that didn't even bother to shoot him; I just ran up and dropped the flag over the railing. "Game's over." I gasped.

I can't even begin to describe how intense that was. Only those who have captured flags know the feeling. I have never experienced such an adrenaline rush anywhere else; not in baseball, and not even in other water wars. It was the most satisfying victory ever, and probably tops my list of favorite rounds. I don't know what happened with Trevor, but I recall him saying that he never got hit as we met up with him on our way back to the front of the building. For the next round, we would do CTF again, but this time we would switch sides so that both teams could have a chance to play both bases.

Round 12 - CTF, Light CPS or Smaller

My team:
Bela: CPS 1200
Me: CPS 1021
Firebird: CPS Splashzooka
Trevor: Vindicator
vs.
Enemy team:
Duxburian: CPS 10K
CA99: CPS 1200

This time, Bela would go with me on offense while Trevor would stand guard with Firebird. I decided to try something a little different this time; instead of Bela being the distraction and me grabbing the flag, it would be flip-flopped. I would come around the front of the school and act like I was going for the flag (because I did it every other time, and that's what they'd expect), but instead I'd simply keep their attention fixed on me while Bela hopefully would sneak in from behind the school and swipe the flag. Well it didn't exactly turn out the way I'd hoped. When we set the stopwatches, I think ours must have been ahead of our opponents', because when I got within sight of the base, they were just starting. DX was coming my way, so I dropped into the shadows of a nearby tree.

It wasn't a particularly smart hiding spot, so of course I was seen. We dueled for a bit, but I lost it and got hit. I ran back to respawn, and got there just in time to hold off the attack. DX was coming from the front of the school, and Scott from the rear. Bela had apparently also been unsuccessful, so he had to respawn too. My team had to switch to defensive mode. Trevor and Bela sent Scott back to respawn, and Firebird and I had to deal with DX. Neither side could get anywhere because it was in the open. We exchanged shots (Firebird fired a little too much in my opinion), but no kills were made. I told Trevor to make an attempt at the enemy flag; I would've gone after it myself, but I figured that I'd be better off defending the base, and nobody would notice if Trevor went missing. So off he went.

While he was gone, Scott came back and we were faced with two opponents once more. Everything seemed to be going okay, when for some inexplicable reason, I somehow got myself hit. I have no idea what I was doing, and I was really mad at myself for a long time afterwards, but it happened. And when it did, my defense collapsed. Bela and Firebird were both hit, and went to respawn soon after I did. DX had taken the flag and had made a swift exit, so I came up with a desperate last-chance plan. I would sprint over to the enemy base, and try to intercept DX while eliminating the defense in one stroke, then take the flag and run like heck. Trevor, who was already there, could assist me.

I took off; my teammates should have come along with me, but they didn't for some reason. I didn't really tell them because I was so focused on what I had to do, but I figured that it'd be the only logical thing to do. As it was, I ran to the base by myself, to find Trevor in a standoff with the opposing defense. DX was nowhere in sight. I rushed the defenders with aggression, and what happened next was so chaotic that I don't even remember the details. I remember pushing chief back and rushing for the flag, but I think I got hit, and Trevor must've gotten hit as well because DX was able to get our flag to the base without resistance. Oh well, 'twas a heroic last-ditch attempt at any rate. And now both teams had won a game. I'm sure that the sides had quite a lot to do with it, but still, I feel like there was no way I should've got hit on defense. Perhaps the game would've gone differently if I hadn't. Maybe a draw at least.

It was getting late, but we wanted to have one final round before we left. This time it would just be OHS, using the entire schoolyard. The game would be played until 24:00 midnight, when, according to Scott, the lights would go out. We went to anything goes, since every other battle at the school had been restricted to small-CPS.

Round 13 - OHS

My team:
Bela: CPS 1500?
Firebird: CPS 1200
vs.

We started at the left starting point. Our plan was very much like mine in the second round the first night; take the hill and watch for enemies. Their arsenal was more formidable, so I wanted to play slightly defensively. I had everybody take position at four different corners at the top of the hill, in order to watch all sides. With this spread, Firebird and I could keep watch on the basketball court area right behind the school, and Scott and Bela could watch both flanks and the rear. Overall, it was a good position, the only trouble was that I couldn't really alert the others if I saw an enemy without giving away our position.

For a little while, nothing could be seen. Then all of a sudden, CA99 and Trevor appeared from the right, and headed perpendicular to our line of sight towards Ambush Alley on the left. They looked like they were in a hurry, but I'm not sure why. The others were nowhere to be seen, but I couldn't really ambush because they were too far away. Perhaps I should've caught them off just after they rounded the corner (because that side is a lot closer to the hill and concealment), because their teammates weren't around to assist.

After they'd disappeared from sight, I thought about how I ambushed Scott's team through the woods on the first night in the second round. I thought about using the same path to ambush CA99 and Trevor, but just as I thought of that, I considered the very real possibility that the enemy could be using the path to get up to the hill. The more I thought about it, the more sense it made; chief knew about the path, and even if they didn't know that we were on the hill, it would make sense for them to gain it.

I called over to Scott, who was guarding the side with the path, but got silence in reply. Anxious, I moved over. When I drew near the path, I could barely make out Scott crouched on one side of the opening, and I heard rustling coming from the dark woods. I took up position on the other side of the path from Scott, and waited. Scott then turned on his flashlight, exposing the enemy. "Hi," DX said. I don't really remember the details of what happened next, but Scott and I fired into the trees, and someone got hit. After that it became our job to keep them pinned in there. I fired a whole bunch of shots into the darkness, but none of them found their mark (I learned afterwards that I was firing too far to the left).

We signaled for Firebird and Bela to come over to help guard the path, and we stayed in that position for some time. I felt like a SWAT officer holding up suspects in a building, only instead of a building it was a forest. Suddenly Firebird yelled, "Look out!" chief had gone back down the path, and went around the forest and up the hill. We took him on, but as we fought, I noticed that it appeared to have gotten darker. I looked at my watch and sure enough, it was midnight. Not all of the lights had turned off, but a lot of them did. The round was over, and my team scored a 1-0 victory.

And that was the last round of Soakemore 2013. We loaded everything into the cars and went back to Scott's house. I decided to head straight to bed, since I wanted at least some energy for the drive home. Pretty much everyone else stayed up to play video games or something. I remember being awake at 2:30 and still hearing voices downstairs. So naturally we were the first ones up again. I wanted to get an early start so I wouldn't have to drive home in the dark, so when we left everyone except for Scott (who told us to wake him before we left) and his parents was still snoozing. Since I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to everyone there, I'll say it here:

"Bye guys, thanks for coming, and have a safe trip home! I hope to see you at Downpour!" :goofy:

Some parting thoughts; this war was awesome in how there were so many intense and exciting rounds, probably more than any other war so far. I enjoyed all of the night battles, and there were some great fights in the daytime as well. However there was some room for improvement; we should've gotten in a lot more rounds than we did, and some people were moving far too slowly. I think for future wars we need to make sure everyone gets to bed before midnight, because turning in any later than that seems to make most people very sluggish in the morning. It seems that only my crew can actually get up early when we go to sleep later. Of course, I at least always get tired during the day when we do this, which further proves my point that we need to get more sleep at community wars.

Also, it's always good to have a good plan ahead of time of what to do, as well as a back-up plan if things go awry like at MOAB. That way we aren't standing around arguing about where to fight, what to play, what rules, etc. That definitely robs time that could be spent fighting. Less traveling between places would help as well, though most of the time that's unavoidable. I will see what I can do about Downpour, but I need a date first.

So that's my feedback for this war. I'm not blaming anybody for anything, I'm just providing insight on what we should avoid at future wars based on my observations at this war and other wars. I'd like to give a big thanks to Scott for hosting this and his family for putting up with all of us crashing at his place. Thanks to all who came as well. We had more people at this war than any other event except for Hydropocalypse. I think 11 was the total. It's still kind of sad, but you gotta make do with what you have.

As for combat-related thoughts, I really liked using my 1500. It was lighter and more ergonomic than my 2700, yet feels slightly more powerful. It's like the ideal "drone" weapon; what you'd arm the bulk of your army with (in addition to the 2500), while handing out 2000s to the "snipers" and 300s, 2700s, and 3000s/3200s to the tankers. My only complaint is the pump, which suffers from a bit of lag. You have to draw it out, then hold it there for about a second to wait for the water to catch up before pushing it back in. I actually did better with my 2700, but I still like the 1500. I guess I did pretty good in this war, though I definitely feel like I could've done better if I'd gotten more sleep at night. Lack of sleep makes me sluggish, both mentally and physically. At least I got my first flag capture, and made the first WBL hit in a community war.

Now for the pictures. The good news is, we didn't get any shots of us eating this time! The bad news is that some of the pictures turned out a little blurry, but I kept them anyway because otherwise, they look epic.

Us on the first night, getting ready for the first round.

The opposing team in the first round.

My team in the first round. SWAG.

Trying to figure out how to set my stupid stopwatch before the second round.

Our stuff on Sycamore Island, before the fighting began.

Another shot of our stuff.

This is the ferry that you have to cross over on.

Gettin' seasick!

CA99's homemades.

Filling up for the first round on the island, with enough CPS blasters to make any water warrior drool.

The enemy in the first island round. I guess Scott wanted an army helmet too.

My team in the first round. I think it's obvious that we are the more serious. :P

These were taken after the first round. How many water warriors can you spot in the photo?

On patrol.

Hosing down an unseen enemy.

We set this up to honor fallen water warriors who were soaked in combat.

chief was pretty smelly, so he decided to make use of the outdoor shower. The 2500 is in case of ambushes (as those who attend community wars know all about).

A shot of the defending team in treehouse HTL, taken from my little perch. Scott and Callan are in the treehouse.

chief laying in wait in the same round.

The most badass player of the first naval HTL round. That 2700 is completely loaded and topped off, by the way.

One of the enemy boats battling the current.

Our equipment. Scary, yet not as effective as a simple water blaster armament.

chief doing some target practice. This was after all the fighting I believe.

The following pictures are all from the "casual" OHS game on Sunday afternoon.
Discussing strategy.

DX in a typical position.

chief sending a poorly-laminated stream at Scott, who I think looks a little creepy in this picture (from the blurring)...

I really love this picture.

Preparing to move forward......I think.

"Come at me bro!"

Defending a (small) hill.

I think CA99 was throwing a water balloon here.

The enemy team being attacked by gnat-like droplets of water.

CPS 2000 vs. CPS 2500!

Wielding that 2000.

Sneaking through the trees.

My total mileage. This was the longest trip I've done so far.

Hope you enjoyed reading this. Though you probably didn't even read much of it anyway. Did I just write all this for nothing? Oh, well. It was fun.

'Till next time,
-SEAL
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Soakemore 2013: SEAL's Full War Story

Post by HBWW » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Really good camera angles for the pictures. If only they were less blurry and/or higher resolution, they'd be perfect!

Will finish reading once I find the time today. Rest assured, you did not write it all for nothing, but I got a few things to take care of first.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 pm

I appreciate the full war story and all of the pictures. It is a shame that they are so blurry though. I'm really jealous and wish I had been there.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:22 pm

^ I've still missed more water wars than you have lol.

For the war report:

Round 1: Could've distinguished the two bases by the fact that one of them was a single portable and the other one was 4 lol.

Round 3: It's unfortunate that I completely screwed up the trap by revealing myself too soon, or I could've nailed you while you were running near the tree.

Round 4: How much did the Douchenator dent the metal?

Round 5: General rule of thumb: Sabots are always disposable, period. If they don't get lost, they break. It's always one or the other.

Round 6: I was using APH + Stream Machine, Trevor was using CPH. I think we could fix this gametype with a few tweaks, such as by expanding the area where the attackers may land, by boundary inhibitions against the defenders, and/or by arming each boat with a MOARC. :goofy: (Okay fine, a foot-pump-powered LPD cannon system. As long as its range and capabilities surpass a 2000's. I'd go for a SuperCannon II or something even. [If your beach landing fails, you have plenty of time to pump/reload.] Although pedal boats would've been better than canoes; trying to pump while paddling is a real pain.) Anyway, yeah, this round ate shit and blew ass, and I don't want to talk about it. Next...

Round 7: We "sat out" because you guys wouldn't wait for us on our way to the car. We walked all the way back, only for all the games to be finished already.

I get the feeling that I missed all the good games at Carderock. The game I did make (after we filled up massive amounts of water) got cut short after it started getting even mildly interesting (we really need to extend time limits to 45 mins or 1 hour, and only use the 20 minute limit for finding each other). I never quite had an opportunity to make a run/attack on the hill that your team defended since the game was so short. Also, would definitely take a WBL into the woods next time to unsettle all those awful terrain advantages. It was a problem in MOAB, whereas for Carderock we simply decided to attack because hell, we're not going to sit around all day.

Apparently, Trevor thinks that the round after that was the most fun. Easy for him to say when I had to (attempt to) fend off DX and Chief simultaneously the whole time. Got me good practice, but also got me completely drenched. The impromptu semi-soakfest afterwards was rather funny though, after DX charged and shot into a car.

My favorite games of the weekend, aside from those that gave me a chance to shoot water balloons, would definitely have to be the night round CTF games. I still think other objective games would've been more interesting, as one of the bases was not as well suited as the other, but they were still fun games. CTF is different in that it really forces your team apart. Without leaving people to watch the flag, you're really taking a bad risk and need to play very aggressively.

I agree about the planning. We couldn't, or were unwilling to, force people to go to bed or at least stop being a distraction for those sleeping, and we didn't exactly have everyone agree on a complete and concrete schedule. Then again, doing so is too difficult; lots of games have to be come up with on the spot and/or everyone has to agree with them and how they're setup. Spawn points, objective locations, etc. need to be agreed on ahead of time though, but this would not happen.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks for reading (though I'm sure you guys are among the only ones who did, haha). I'll answer some of your questions and offer additional insight.

Round 1: I don't think it matters, haha. I don't even remember how many portables (does anyone know what they're for?) were on the right. I suppose a map of the place would come in handy though.

Round 3: I actually knew you were there ahead of time. The reason I was running was so I could gain a position upwind from you. It was a little risky though.

Round 4: I don't really remember, and I don't really know how to measure dents anyway, haha. It wasn't dented too much though.

Round 5: Another reason why I really think we should come up with a way to launch balloons without the damn sabots. I experimented with wadding before the war, but the balloons kept breaking in the barrel at high pressure; they didn't break at lower pressures, but you probably could've thrown one farther than the distances that they went.

Round 6: I knew I didn't get all of the guns right. That was something that I was going to write down on my computer at the end of the day, but of course I forgot. But yeah, that round sucked. I think having more boats (and better-equipped attackers) might help, but I'd personally be fine with it if we never did naval rounds again. They take too long to set up, and often aren't as much fun as they seem to be when planning. Maybe we can try boat vs. boat, but no more beach landings.

Round 7: Oh, my bad. I don't usually remember things like that. (And I think I was done with that section before you posted your report; which I did read all of, by the way!)

I think you only missed one game at Carderock. It wasn't really that great, though I guess it might've been different if there were more people. I definitely agree with you in that we have to make games longer. The 20-minute rounds should be like the last round at Carderock, which I agree with Trevor on (though it wasn't my #1 favorite; the first CTF game takes that spot). I think you just have to be more mobile. You guys were sitting up on that hill most of the time, which means that you're going to get shot at a lot. I didn't get many shots fired my way because I mostly stayed on the outskirts of the fighting, picking people off. I actually really like that role, and that's probably why I love the CPS 2000 so much; it's the perfect weapon for it.

I don't think coming up with a concrete schedule is that hard. Speaking of which, I should start working on mine again. Trust me, for Downpour, everything will be predetermined.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Perhaps what we need are more environmentally friendly sabots. I'm highly skeptical of the sabot-catcher, although it may be possible with enough work. Still, being able to at least somewhat mass-produce environmentally friendly ones would be a better alternative.

Agreed on boat vs boat, although I'm not 100% ready to dismiss beach landings because there may be ways to setup the game that's more fun than we're aware of.

The hill was for the height advantage, but I didn't have much team support. Should've been more mobile then, I guess.

Attendance status for Downpour is still pending. If I have a job by then and can get the days off, I'll definitely go. (Most likely via air; I have plenty of doubts about driving to NY alone although that does leave me at the mercy of others for transportation and armament.) Otherwise, I'm saving the cash if I can't find work by then.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:03 pm

I wanted this to go better, but even the day of, was worried it would go much worse.

Just a few notes:
Round 6 - I think Bela was using the 2500 because Sam used the 3200 that round.

As far as naval wars go, ship-ship is actually less fun then beach landings. I tried it last year and for the most part people just made sure to stay out of range of each other. So long as it is not extremely windy (in which case forget it), I have a plan to make the beach landings go much more smoothly. I haven't been on in a while, so still have a lot of threads to catch up on, but after that I plan to make a new thread for naval wars to list my ideas on them.

And we all need to go to bed much earlier at future community wars. I was the host of this one, so I'll take the fall for not enforcing some sort of bedtime, but it really does need to be a group effort.

A lot of the problems I think were related to me/my friends. I am not very good at planning and had a scheduled, but a combination of the elements (wind mostly), lack of battle field scouting, and people (mostly my friends) taking forever to do things, it completely fell apart. The one thing that I am a little disappointed with the community for is that I said multiple times that I really didn't know what I was doing. I even asked advice from others who had hosted wars but they all just looked to me! Then, some of the times I actually knew what I was doing, people would question me! At this point, I think I know what to do for next year, but even so: when I ask for help, don't just stay silent and when I know what I'm doing don't question it unless you actually know what you are talking about.

In general though this event was fantastic, I will definitely do it (hopefully much better) next year. And thinks to Bela for coming up with the awesome event name!
Thanks for coming all!

I am going to post a copy of this post in the Soakemore thread as well.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:02 am

The number of long posts in this thread is too high :goofy: I always enjoy reading war story's and Seal did a top notch job on this one. I would like to see a classic only round at a war (only one 300 per team)
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:35 pm

300 is out of my price range and every other classic isn't battle practical, so that's not going to happen unless someone can supply us. Same deal w/ the homemades only games; too many community members lack the resources/time to build it seems.

@Scott: Sorry for my part of messing things up. Having to worry about equipment for 2 people, then planning for AP only and BBT only rounds really made a mess of things for me. Lower car space and lack of foresight made it more difficult to organize things.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare