MOAB 2013: SEAL's (Relatively) Brief Summary, with Pictures!

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

MOAB 2013: SEAL's (Relatively) Brief Summary, with Pictures!

Post by SEAL » Sun May 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Finally posted this!

MOAB: A (Relatively) Brief Summary of the First War of 2013, by SEAL

I do not have time to write a full-length war story for this war, so I will just do a semi-quick summary of the war from my point of view, and post my pictures.

We arrived in NC at the stroke of midnight on Friday (well, it was technically Saturday). DX and M4 had fought with Scott and CA99 earlier, but by the time we got there, everybody was probably asleep. The next day we followed M4 to the battlefield, and unloaded.

Saturday, March 23rd:

I know we were only supposed to bring in two or three guns, but I didn't really have any place to store them, so I ended up bringing in like everything. It was kind of a waste as we didn't actually get to use them, but we didn't know that at the time. Drenchenator had not arrived yet, so my team would actually have greater numbers in the first round. So much for all the outnumbered tactics I'd been planning!

So the way the first round worked was, each team started in the same place without a weapon, and when the round started, everybody ran for a box with an unknown blaster inside. We had to fight with what we got, but there were eight boxes and only seven people, so we could switch guns if we didn't like what we got.

"Crazy" OHS Teams:

Catskill Mountain SEALs:
Me (SEAL): XP 240; Monster XL (2002)
Firebird: Arctic Blast w/ 100oz Aquapak ("flood" nozzle modded to shoot stream)
chief: Blazer
scottthewaterwarrior: Monster XL (2002); XP 240; XP 70
vs.
Super Soaker Liberation Front:
marauder: SS 100
Duxburian: XP 70, XP 310
CA99: XP 270

The start of the round was pretty chaotic. Everybody rushed towards a box and started tearing them open. Some of the boxes had water balloons in them, and Scott lost his shoe while running, and was taken out by a balloon thrown by M4. DX threw a balloon at Firebird, but it bounced off without breaking, which didn't count as a kill. I ended up with an XP 240, which I quickly pressurized and started firing shots. That was when I found out that it was probably the worst gun of the entire bunch. The stream broke up into nothing but mist about 5-10 feet out. There was no way in hell I was going to hit anybody with that. I mainly just fired off a few shots to bluff the opponent and keep them away.

Eventually the enemy ran away. We couldn't follow them because Scott was still respawning (I think the respawn time was 2 minutes). When he finally did respawn, we took off after them, but we couldn't find them for a long time. I traded the 240 to Scott, and got the MXL. It's probably the worst possible primary blaster for this situation, but what can you do? It makes things interesting at any rate.

So we circled around for a while, and engaged the enemy once, using up both ours and their last water balloon. They ran away again, and we once more spent forever trying to find them. Finally we spotted them up by the road. They looked like they were lying low, ready to ambush us. I wasn't sure if they saw us or not, but they looked like they were in a bad position, so I ordered my team to rush. We charged along the road (which was on a hill) and attacked the enemies from high ground. We laid down the heat, but DX and M4 were able to get away. Fortunately I was able to take out CA99, who got stuck in a thorn bush.

We were all tied up now. We started pursuing DX and M4, hoping to gain the lead. I told chief to lead the chase, as he could move a heck of a lot faster than I could holding the biggest single-piece water gun ever made. I tried to keep up, but I kept getting snagged on vines and thorns, and I eventually lost sight of them. chief managed to split them up, but then he lost them as well. At least we now had breathing room; before we were frantically trying to find the enemy to avoid losing the round. Now that the scores were tied, there wasn't such a hurry.

Unfortunately we never found them before the round ended. We came together, but CA99 couldn't be found, and apparently Drenchenator had arrived, and we didn't know where he was either. We split up to look for them, as well as M4's phone that he had dropped somewhere. As we searched, suddenly a police siren could be heard wailing through the air. I didn't think a whole lot of it at the time, but a few minutes later DX called me and said to come out of the woods, as there was a problem with cops.

It turned out that some old lady had seen us running around in the woods, and called the police. I don't think we were ever on private land, but the lady was apparently claiming that she owned the land on which we were fighting. Fortunately the cops were cool about it (they even thought what we were doing was awesome), but we still had to move. We had to drag all our stuff out of the woods, load it into the cars, and drive over to M4's house.

M4's dad suggested that we go to a place called Legend Park, which had a forest with a maze of bike trails. It sounded good, so we headed over. The park kind of reminded me of Dug Hill, with a baseball field (well, softball actually) and trails in the surrounding forest. The only thing it didn't have was a pavilion. The first round fought there would be air-pressure-only.

AP-Only Teams:
Catskill Mountain SEALs:
Me: MD 60000 (de-Max-D modded, smallest nozzle drilled to ~3X, PCs replaced with 1L bottles)
Firebird: Colossus
chief: XP 270
scottthewaterwarrior: XP 150
vs.
Drenchenator: Colossus
marauder: SS 300
Duxburian: Gorgon
CA99: SS 300

I actually got an SS 300 from Neptune, whom I met at a NJ Nerf war a week before MOAB (it was supposed to be kept secret from the other team, but DX was my ride down, so that didn't work). However the PCs had small cracks in them, and despite working my ass off to fix them in time, the glue failed and it was too late to try again. Needless to say, I was angry enough to punch someone in the face multiple times before feeling remorse (not that this actually happened, of course). Thankfully I still had my insanely modded MD 6000, which I have dubbed the MD 60000. It's not as powerful as a 300, but I'm pretty sure it still shoots over 40 feet (haven't measured). I'll make a post about it in the modding section when I get the chance.

So we started by just walking into the woods. The firepower advantage that the enemy had was scarily large, so I planned to go on the defensive for this one. We took to the top of a rather large hill, hoping that the enemies would try to gain it so we could ambush them on their way up, negating their range advantage. But when nobody aside from a few mountain bikers could be seen for a while, we decided among ourselves that we should go on the prowl. I wasn't extremely thrilled with the plan, but I knew we had to fight them eventually. We made our way down the hill, peering around for the Liberation Front. If we saw them, the idea would be to stay higher than them at all times, even if it meant drawing back.

We ended up going all the way down, into the lowest portion of the battlefield, but we still didn't see anything. We thought that they might have gone around to the hill where we were previously, so we went back, but still didn't gain a visual. Finally we heard M4 shout something about just wanting to fight head-on, without sneaking around and trying to ambush each other. Well duh, I thought. I might've said that too if I had 300s and a Gorgon. But we wanted action too, so we cautiously made our way toward where we heard his voice.

When we saw them, we had higher ground, and ended up staring them down for a little while. Scott and chief I think, went down looking to engage, which I didn't really like, but I didn't say anything for the time being; maybe they could get the enemy to chase them back up the hill to me and Firebird. However when the enemy started to surround us, and it looked like chief and Scott were going to be boxed in, I gave the order to retreat. We ran back up to higher ground, and didn't stop until we were near the top of our original hill. Fortunately the enemy was a little sluggish in following us, so we had time to catch our breath.

We finally engaged at the top of the hill. Let me tell you, this was one of the hardest fights I've ever experienced. Those 300s were like guns in a knife-fight. I was dueling M4 at my range, which required me to perform extensive side-to-side dodging. The good thing was that I could reach him with my streams, so I could keep him honest, as they say in baseball. But then things started to go downhill (both literally and figuratively!); somehow the enemy got around to the high ground, and started forcing us back. I knew I had to do something drastic, so I ordered a downhill retreat, hoping that the 300s would slow them down a bit. My brothers and I took off, and the enemy obviously went on pursuit. Scott figured that they were going to catch him, so he turned around for a suicide. I think he was only able to get one person before he was hit though. Still, it brought us some time to get away; it was a good move.

The round was still tied, but at 1-1. My team looped around and went back up the hill, re-securing the high ground. We fought again, and a few kills were made between teams; I remember striking through some tall grass, hitting Drenchenator from the side, but I don't remember who else got hit. Either way, in the end we somehow won 3-2. It gave us a sense of achievement, like beating a video game in "hard" mode. Only water warfare is like 100 times better than anything you can do on a screen. For the most part, I was happy with my 60000 (or 60K, but I don't like to call it that because it makes it sound like it was K-modded), except I think I need to get a stronger spring to close the valve, because it occasionally stuck open slightly, causing a leak from the nozzle. But it definitely appears to have good range, and it lasts forever because of the gigantic PCs. It is a little heavy and unbalanced, but I don't mind.

Next someone decided to play an HTL-type game on a building. It was basically a concession stand and announcer's tower for the softball field. We would have people on the roof and around the building fending off attackers. I wasn't entirely keen on the idea, but I did kind of want to try defending the roof. For the first round, the SEALs defended and the Liberation Front attacked.

Building Assault/Defense Round 1 Teams:

Catskill Mountain SEALs:
Me: CPS 2700
Firebird: CPS 21K (30 balloons)
chief: CPS 2500
scottthewaterwarrior: CPS 2500
vs.
Drenchenator: CPS 2100
marauder: CPS 2000
Duxburian: CPS 2000
CA99: CPS 2000

Since I already went into a tad more detail than I originally wanted, I won't say too much about this round. There isn't really much to say anyway; we basically took shots at each other the whole time. I'm not sure how many hits were made, or which team got more, but my team won because we held out. Fighting on the roof was pretty interesting; I was very hard to hit, as I had plenty of room to dodge, but I couldn't move forward to get a kill, because I would've fallen off the roof (which would've made good footage, but likely at the sacrifice of my blaster and a bone or two :P). I think I did make a few kills though; I remember hitting Drenchenator and Duxburian, and maybe CA99 as well. However I did get ambushed once, when CA99 somehow got past my teammates on the ground and shot me from right up against the side of the building. I didn't even see it coming, and I had my first death of the war.

Aside from that, yeah... What else can I say? It was kind of fun, but not really my preferred style of fighting. However we had to do it one more time, so each team had an equal opportunity. ...Or maybe not so equal. M4's friend, who goes by the name of latsevyert on here, showed up, giving the enemy an extra head. I think some people on my team were a little annoyed at this, but these rounds weren't really that serious anyway. I decided to use my grand prize CPS 2500 for this round (my first time using it in combat), leaving my 2700 on the ground nearby.

Building Assault/Defense Round 2 Teams:

Catskill Mountain SEALs:
Me: CPS 2500; CPS 2700
Firebird: CPS 21K
scottthewaterwarrior: CPS 2500
vs.
Duxburian: CPS 2000 x2; CPS 10K
CA99: CPS 2000
latsyvert: CPS 1500

This was much the same as the first round. DX had the roof position, but nobody on my team could do the same thing that CA99 did, perhaps because of the extra person. Our attempt to defeat the defenders was no more successful than the enemy's. We eliminated CA99, but I don't think we managed that with anyone else. Once again, pretty fun, but not my cup of tea. I like my 2500, but it doesn't really feel any more powerful than my 2700. Still, that tracked pump is a godsend. Unfortunately the trigger cracked at the end of the battle, so I have to take off the camo cover, then open it up and glue the crack back together.

Now it was time for some action. CTF! I don't think we had a single dull CTF round in any of our wars, and we hoped that this would be no exception. We actually did it a little differently than the traditional style, with a total of 7 flags; 2 at each base, and 3 in the middle of the playing field at the start of the game. This round was played in the lowlands of the woods, near a stream.

CTF Teams:

Catskill Mountain SEALs:
Me: CPS 2700
Firebird: CPS 21K
scottthewaterwarrior: CPS 2500; Vindicator
vs.
Duxburian: CPS 2000
CA99: CPS 1500
latseyvert: CPS 1500

I think the other team had some other guns like the 10K, but I don't remember who used them or if they were even used at all. So anyway, the main objective would be to snag the flags in the middle; I told chief and Scott to go for the flags, while Firebird and I would hold off the enemy. Unfortunately we forgot that the enemy team had all the sprinters...

They got to the flags before any of us did, and were already running back towards their base when we got there. For some reason this really pissed me off; maybe it's because I feel like I should be able to run a lot faster than I can (actually, I've been working on that lately). But anyway, the enemies got the flags, so we had to get them back. Seems simple enough. I knew that they wouldn't go after the flags at our base, so I brought the house for offense. Unfortunately the enemy base was in an extremely well-defendable location, and they had one extra person. My team repeatedly bombarded the enemy, but we could never take out enough people at the same time to break through their defense.

So we lost that one, even though we outscored the opposition. It's funny how my team has never won a CTF game before (as a team). Not entirely sure why, but I assure you that will change! So the round was fun, though not quite as fun as previous CTF rounds, probably because the enemy's position was harder to attack (it was in CT as well, but that round still had more action). I don't remember my kills and deaths in this round, except for when DX shot me early on; I tried to block the shot with my gun, but I found out that the 2000's stream is just too massive to block...

We decided then to end the day with a soakfest, only with teams instead of the typical disorganized FFA. We picked up weird or rarely-used guns for it (or at least some of us did), and played it near the parking lot, among some bike ramps and jumps.

Soakfest Teams:

Catskill Mountain SEALs:
Me: CPS 12K (5 balloons)
Firebird: CPS 1021
chief: Water balloon filler (basically a pressurized spray-bottle, haha)
scottthewaterwarrior: Shield Blaster 3000
vs.
marauder: Arctic Blast w/ 100oz Aquapak (flood nozzle modded)
Duxburian: CPS 1500
CA99: SS 300
latseyvert: Monster XL (2002)

This was a fun way to end the day; apparently Scott said something about how dry he would be at the end of the round, so the enemy team decided to gang up on him until he was completely soaked; someone would yell "Clear!" (typically what we yell after we respawn, like at Nerf wars) once the job was done. I didn't even notice; I just ran around shooting everyone in sight that wasn't on my team. I like to run around the perimeter of the fight, tap-shooting everybody as I go. We basically played until everyone ran out of water. We got some epic photos from this as well; soakfests always yield the best footage, haha.

I love my 12K too. It only has 5 balloons, yet it seems to put out so much more water than stock 1000s/1200s/2100s. I think my balloons are ultra-strong or something, because I originally tried to put on like 35, and it was almost impossible to pump. I'd still like to experiment with them someday.

And that was all for Saturday. I think we just hung around the hotel for the remainder of the day. Unfortunately Drenchenator had to leave, and wouldn't be coming back the next day.

Sunday, March 24th:

The first round of Sunday was going to be veterans/better players with weaker guns vs. the rest with CPS guns. It seemed like it would be interesting.

Unbalanced OHS Teams:

My team:
marauder: XXP 275
Me: XP 270
Duxburian: XP 150
scottthewaterwarrior: XP 150
vs.
Enemy team:
Firebird: CPS 1200
CA99: CPS 10K
latsevyert: CPS 2000

Don't remember a whole lot about this round, but that doesn't matter, as this is supposed to be a brief summary. Basically, despite having weaker guns, we flattened the enemy. This definitely proves that guns don't matter much in water warfare, and I will use this example in the future to anyone who thinks otherwise. As far as the actual battle, it was fun; we held it in the lowlands, fairly close to where we fought in CTF. The enemy fired a lot of shots and several of them ran out of water before the battle ended (I think latsevyert ran out a few times). So yeah, next time someone says that guns are everything in a water war, I will use this battle to prove them wrong.

All that aside, this was a pretty good fight; probably one of the better rounds of the weekend. Our next round would be something a little bit different than what we've done so far: a Water Warriors-only round. The battle would be fairly long-distance, but not quite as much as some of the previous rounds.

Water Warriors-Only OHS Round 1 Teams:

My team:
Me: Gorgon
chief: Vanquisher
latsevyert: Colossus
vs.
Enemy team:
marauder: Blazer
CA99: Vindicator
scottthewaterwarrior: Vindicator

My team started on a hill, with the plan being to wait for the enemy to try and attack us. We didn't see anything for a few minutes until Scott and CA99 made an appearance on a ridge in front of us. There was a gulley with a stream in between us and them, so obviously neither side wanted to make the first move. They moved back and forth a few times, and I believe Scott and DX exchanged like one or two shots, but nothing else happened. We were hesitant to attack because we had no idea where the other half of the team was, and we didn't want to walk into an ambush. latsevyert went scouting however, and didn't see M4 and Firebird anywhere.

So we decided to attack the enemy's position. They had gone off to the right and had left the hill they were on open for the taking, so we took advantage of that. We could now engage them on level ground, and we outnumbered them. I was just going to start the assault, when someone spotted Firebird and M4 behind us. Not wanting to get surrounded, we made like the SS Liberation Front in the Frozen Fury OHS round and regained our position on our starting hill. M4 wasn't too thrilled about our tactical withdrawal (and honestly, I wouldn't be either), because he felt that it would just result in us staring at each other. So we decided to call the round and start it somewhere else without hills. The starting positions would also be close together, in the hope of creating an intense, fast-paced firefight.

Water Warriors-only OHS Round 2 Teams:

My team:
vs.
Enemy team:

We played this in a flat area with a bit of concealment, but not too much as to hinder movement. It was pretty intense (though there was a bit of standing around as well), but for some reason I just didn't get much enjoyment out of it. I'm sure the cold-ass rain didn't help things. I wasn't a huge fan of the Gorgon either; it was quite bulky and awkward, and didn't feel as powerful as everyone seems to say it is (though perhaps I could've had it on the wrong nozzle). I don't care if it can go head-to-head with a 1200; I'd still much rather use the latter. Anyway, a lot went on, so I don't really remember much of the battle (nevermind the fact that I'm typing this like a month and a half later), but I think we tied the enemy. I don't remember how many kills and deaths I got.

Even though the rain was coming down hard, we decided to do it again, so we didn't have to go back to get other guns. I thought I remember that some of us switched guns, but everyone says that they were all the same. I cannot remember at all at this point.

Water Warriors-only OHS Round 3 Teams:

My team:
vs.
Enemy team:

This round was even more miserable. It was practically pouring at that point, and I was hungry and tired from not being able to sleep in the stinkin' hotel beds for two nights (I seriously slept better on my uncle's couch!). But yeah, I don't remember this one that well either, just that I wasn't having a very good time. I wasn't even playing that hard. Perhaps I would've had a better time if the round were more interesting. As it was, it was in a fairly plain area, and I was getting kind of sick of using only Water Warriors guns. Maybe it was just my bad mood (rain has always made me irritable for some reason). We ended up calling the round after it was getting so bad that the scoresheet was too wet to write on. I think my team lost, but I'm not sure why. I don't remember how I did.

Despite the fact that it was still early, we didn't have any more battles on Sunday. Hell, I don't even remember what we did. I wrote the earlier parts of this war story right after I got back, but school and everything effectively stole most of my free time (which I mostly used for working out), and I'm typing up the rest of this a month and a half after the war. Normally I have a pretty good memory, but I was using that space for remembering how to calculate the mass percent of chemical compounds, how to solve trigonometric equations, etc.

So yeah, in the evening DX and CA99 hung out with us (meaning my crew and Scott) at the hotel, and we traded footage. DX also showed us a ton of hilarious pictures that he saved on his computer. We had a good time. My brothers and I would be leaving the next day, but we would still have time for a few rounds in the morning.

Monday, March 25th:

CA99 had struck out for home by air, and latsvyert had also left, so there were just 6 of us to fight on Monday morning. We got it into our heads to do WW-only again, even though I was a little bored of it by now (probably not going to have more than one round of it at Downpour this year). Scott had picked up a Colossus 2 at Wal-Mart (oh, that's what we did on Sunday afternoon! Don't remember why though), and decided to give it a try. Since he wasn't using it, I decided to wield his Vindicator.

Water Warriors-only OHS Round 4 Teams:

My team:
Me: Vindicator
scottthewaterwarrior: Colossus 2
vs.
Enemy team:
marauder: Gorgon

This battle took place in a thick, jungle-like area somewhere in the vicinity of the SS Liberation Front's CTF base on Saturday. The battle wasn't extremely exciting, but at least it wasn't raining. Somehow Scott ended up way off to the left of where Firebird and I were, fighting DX while we fought M4 and chief. The problem with this round was that there was a little too much foliage, hindering movement. None of us wanted to move forward to attack, because we wouldn't have been able to dodge the enemy streams.

I should report my experience with the Vindicator too. To make a long story short, I hated it. Not the gun itself, because it is powerful, but using it. I know a lot of people don't like the balance on the gun, but that wasn't the main problem for me (though it didn't help). Heck, I didn't even need the strap. My problem was the awfully-designed trigger grip. Let me put it this way, I've had an easier time getting my hand into...uh, never mind. ( :goofy: ) But seriously, I have enough trouble getting one finger in between the trigger and the plastic part in front of it! The trigger on the Vindicator is of the harder-to-pull variety, so two fingers are necessary in order to pull off tap-shots. I don't know what the designers had in mind when they made this, but it's gotta be the most awkward gun I've used this side of my APH. Maybe Scott's camo cover had something to do with it, but still.

My team ended up losing because Firebird got hit too many times. Scott and DX didn't really get anywhere. There were quite a few disputed hits that round if I remember right, so I don't even know if the scores are accurate. I guess that's the problem with them lower-output blasters. However I have seen people take advantage of that by claiming a hit even if the stream didn't hit its mark, using the "The stream was too small for you to feel it" excuse. Heck, I might even be guilty of that (though that hit I made on CA99 in an earlier round was unquestionable, whether you believe me or not). Anyhoo, I feel like we should've won, but the awkwardness of the Vindicator coupled with Firebird's slight recklessness (charging a Gorgon and Vanquisher with a Colossus not typically a good idea, especially when there's no dodging room) kind of suffocated that idea.

We figured that we had time for one more round, but it would have to be a quick one, so we couldn't switch guns unfortunately. I did trade the Vindicator for Firebird's Colossus though.

Water Warriors-only OHS Round 5 Teams:

My team:
marauder: Gorgon
Me: Colossus
vs.
Enemy team:
Firebird: Vindicator
scottthewaterwarrior: Colossus 2

This battle was held near my team's CTF base, next to a hill (which was off-limits). This time I was somewhat isolated from my team, taking on Scott while chief and M4 fought DX and Firebird. This battle was rather interesting. Scott kept trying to charge me, firing a continuous stream with his Colossus 2. However I would simply back up while returning fire more conservatively. Every single time, his stream died by the time he got in range, at which point I'd simply shoot him with the original Colossus' thicker stream. I think I made all of my team's kills this way. The Colossus 2 is definitely a downgrade from the original.

I have to say though, the BBT ergonomics team (if there is such a thing, haha) deserves a round of applause for their job on the Colossus. After just using the Vindicator, the difference was astounding. The Colossus feels like it's a part of you, like an extension of your arm. It's definitely my favorite WW blaster to use, though it really needs thicker, better-laminated streams. If the streams were similar to say, an MD 6000, it would totally be my AP weapon of choice (there's the 300, but that's in a whole other class).

At the end of the round, Firebird came over and gave Scott the Vindicator (he was sick of it too, haha). For reasons unknown to me, Scott is very deadly with the Vindicator. This was one of those "Aw, shit" moments. I attempted to avoid the barrage of Vindicator blasts (plus those from Firebird, who was now using the Colossus 2), but I ended up backing into a snare of branches. I let out a yell and discharged the remaining water in my blasters PC, but I guess it was futile, because Scott hit me without any casualties. The clock was almost out, so instead of respawning I just waited for the round to be over. I didn't want to get spawn-raped.

And that wrapped things up. We left for my uncle's house on our way to Florida for a vacation. My cousins actually had a few water guns, and we sort of had a fight in their lawn. It wasn't serious though, because it was too cold for most of them (even chief wimped out; traitor...). I did sort of fight two of them with Firebird though. I used it as an excuse to try out the CPS 1500 that I'd just brought from marauder, and Firebird used his XXP 275 that he had also brought from M4 (he actually gave us quite a few guns; thanks!). My cousins used......a Thunderstorm and a Shark (WW piston pumper). It was so ridiculous that I didn't even try to hit them, though it was very hard, as I had position upwind. My cousin would fire the Thunderstorm, and a pencil-thin stream would land about a 1/4 of the way toward me. Then I'd fire the 1500, sending forth a gigantic (10X of course), hose-rivaling blast of water that flew over his head (because like I said, I didn't really want to actually hit anyone). :lol: No wonder they quit.

Needless to say, I was very, very happy with the 1500. Probably the best $35 I've ever spent. The only problem is, it suffers from pump lag. I've never seen this on a blaster before, but you actually have to hold the pump extended for about half a second to let the water catch up, before you push it back in. It's kind of weird, but otherwise, it's one of the best guns I've ever used. It feels like some kind of death cannon when up against a Thunderstorm and a Shark, haha. While I don't like having insanely unbalanced rounds like that, it's a really awesome feeling when you have the power to completely obliterate your opponents with just one tap-shot.

Florida was okay, but I had more fun at the war. I was trying to get a battle together with Fishfan and thelaminator, but both of them were too busy (what is it with people on this board being busy all the time?). Maybe next time.

So yeah, the war was fun. I just wish it weren't so chaotic. If it weren't for the rain, everybody driving around, and getting kicked off of the initial battleground, this war would easily be the best yet. From this war, I've found that the biggest time-wasting sin seems to be having to go out to get food. Hopefully Scott can provide for us at Soakemore, and I definitely will be doing so at Downpour. I'd like to once again thank marauder for hosting and keeping everything together even with all the chaos. Thanks to everyone who came too; it's always refreshing to see new faces.

Now, on to the pictures (I'm posting them at the end this time because I feel like they are a distraction from the text when placed in the actual report, even if it does look cooler). I have a few videos, but nothing special so I won't post them. Besides, I already gave them to CA99 who is making a montage video out of them, so you'll probably get to see the good parts of them whenever he finishes it. I didn't get a whole lot of pictures this time either though...

Our stockpile in the original battlefield.

chief and marauder filling for the AP-only round.

marauder up to no good. I hope Tiff doesn't visit here... :goofy:

My team for AP-only. My 60000 looks soo badass...

The enemy in AP-only. Someone stole this picture for their Facebook profile photo...

Gathering our equipment for the first round.

Gettin' stuff from the car. DX and CA99 can be seen down the road.

Into tha jungle!

My tribal war paint. I ended up applying it last-minute, so I didn't have time to make it look good. :P

Messing around in the distance.

Same as above.

Scarfin' down that food. Scott looks as though he swallowed something particularly unpleasant.

Roof patrol.

A shot of the battle.

"This should fix them..."

"...EYAAGHHH!"

Vandalism.

The whole gang! I don't know if anybody noticed or not, but this was the first community war where every single participant was a member on the board!
Left to right: latsvyert, Duxburian, CA99, SEAL, Firebird, marauder, Drenchenator, scottthewaterwarrior, chief

Dinner in the hotel. chief be like, after that water bottle with a passion.

Monday before the first round; more shenanigans. (I'll leave it up to your imaginations.)

"They've got to be around here somewhere..."

Seems like a lot of us ditched the camo on Monday.

Hope you enjoy this. Yeah, I only just finished it. I'm not that busy anymore, so the only thing keeping me from making it more detailed is the fact that my memory of this has dimmed significantly. NOW, let's have some extremely rich, in-depth, satisfying discussions on this.

Peace out, homies.
-SEAL (DA BAWS)
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: MOAB 2013: SEAL's (Relatively) Brief Summary, with Pictures!

Post by HBWW » Sun May 12, 2013 6:59 pm

I didn't dispute that hit at all, as others saw it. I only happened to not notice it at all since it was raining heavily and I was in my PVC rain suit.

I have similar complaints for the Vindicator, but it's actually quite usable once the firing valve/mech is lubed. However, since I did this after MOAB instead of before, I ended up having to reinforce a piece on the trigger mech that had started whitening and showing signs of cracks/breakage. I agree on the Colossus though; lots of great improvements to handling overall. Having now handled both the Python 2 and the Colossus, I can say that both handle designs have their strengths and weaknesses. The Colossus' grip seems to conform to your hand better, and has a good place for your non-firing hand. However, the Python 2 is more balanced, has a properly positioned trigger guard (I much prefer having it on only the trigger, not the whole pistol grip), and has better balance. The ease of which it can be fired with one hand is quite nice. (Performance-wise, I found the P2 to be quite lacking, but I'm not a fan of PR's in general. Short pump and large reservoir makes that worse.)

A month and a half later, I still haven't managed to fix up some of the broken blasters I picked up from DX/M4 at MOAB. Eh, you get what you pay for.

Good pics. I actually never saw most of them until now.

Been slacking off on the video lately. I guess it's simply one of those things that are finished when it's finished.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun May 12, 2013 11:30 pm

So cool. I need to come over here for a war sometime.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon May 13, 2013 9:19 am

CA99: I know. I was just giving examples of why I don't like fighting with lower-output blasters. I guess it's not such a big deal in the summer when people aren't as bundled up though. As for the Vindicator, can you tap-shoot with it now that you've lubed the valve?

martianshark: I'm going to try to organize a trip to the west coast next year. We should totally get together for a war then (though if you could come over here that would be great as well!).

We still need to get iSoaker to come to one of these too...
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon May 13, 2013 11:55 am

I could tap shoot even with the stiff valve. In either case, I strongly preferred or required both fingers on the trigger to do so.

Edit: I don't think DX ever threw these pictures up here, so I'm going to. This seems like the best place to do so easily.

Edit: Attachments system is broken for me (doesn't upload nor give any reason; previous jpg's were too large and cluttering up the page, so I zipped it up but it may not support that format), so I uploaded to MediaFire. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?r65c76g0b2gr97s
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed May 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Wow. I'm glad we took so many good photos. I'm working on a community war photo archive, do you mind if I include these? Can't wait to see DX's photos and CA99's footage.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu May 16, 2013 8:57 am

Meh, I still think we need more in-action photos. However now that we've started filming each round, we can simply take out epic screenshots like the one from DX's camera that's now my Facebook profile photo. They just aren't as high-quality as real photos.

Feel free to include these in your photo archive, as well as any other community war pictures I've taken.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~