Gauging interest in the Jersey Shore

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
Neptune

Gauging interest in the Jersey Shore

Post by Neptune » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi! I'm new to the forums as well as the sport itself but I was wondering if anyone lives around NJ that would be down to war and such. Currently I have a few people who would be interested in warring once I get blasters to support them, though I doubt a lot of them will continue when it gets cold. I would like a monthly or bi-monthly war on Saturdays. I am very interested in meeting veterans in the community, as I would like to start a club at college for it once I'm more knowledgable about the hobby.

TL;DR
Who is willing to hang out and war around NJ?
I've got 110 problems but a <Nice lady> Ain't one

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Gauging interest in the Jersey Shore

Post by marauder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi Neptune...funny that you should post this. We have a regular group of 8-12 people that meet up on the east coast. We have met up in NY (twice), NC (once), and are preparing for a war in Connecticut. We call these "Community Wars" because it's a get together from people on this site + our friends. Depending on how serious your wars are/how you fight I am sure that some of the guys that come to the community wars might be interested in joining you.

Now my question is... would you be willing to join us and come to the community wars? Such as this next one in Connecticut.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Sadly I can't. My car takes premium and I get around 19 to the gallon so a war like that would cost an arm and a leg. That's why I mostly am trying to stay in state. Depending on the weather however. I have 8 players (counting myself) that are interested in warring once we get blasters. So we can have some good battles once we get the hang of it.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:09 pm

I don't typically give rides to strangers, but if I came to one of your wars and we met I'd be willing to give you a ride... or possibly in the future we could have you host the community wars with your 8 friends.

What kind of battles do you have?
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Sadly my experience is rather lack luster with this. I only have experience with events like Nerf or Paintball. CTF is always good,VIP is fun, 3-15 maybe and possibly a game called Carpe which would transition well from Nerf without the use of WBLs in my opinion. We haven't had many wars yet as I'm still working on getting blasters for everyone, I don't even own any CPS yet.

Edit: I don't usually ask this of strangers but where do you live(feel free to message that) Id feel rude having you go way out of your way to pick me up.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey, did you go to NJNO 4? I came along for the fun of it after DX told me about it. If you were there, you'd probably remember me as the only guy wearing full camo, haha.

Anyway, welcome to WWn! I live in upstate NY, so I could easily come down to NJ for a war, but I don't usually consider it worth it unless other community members come too. If you know DX/Duxburian, maybe he could give you a ride to the CT war, though that probably wouldn't really work out since the war's pretty much at his house. However, I don't think marauder mentioned that the war is on December 1st; if you don't like the idea of fighting in the cold, you probably wouldn't want to go. I find that cold doesn't matter with the type of fighting that we do; intense elimination rounds in the middle of the woods tend to get you very hot, regardless of the weather, haha.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Oh no I don't think I'd mind the cold I'm saying my other teammates. I don't remember you sadly but I go to all of the NJNOs. Dx is actually who got me into soakers and on here. If you really are so close maybe we could get together and discuss the sport/how to make it generally more fun for my team while staying "safe" enough for my school to let me have a club. I do have one off topic question though (if this is really against the CoC/ToS/rules please let me know) what are the general ages of players? I only ask because I have younger siblings (13 and 14) and would like to include them as this is my safest hobby.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:28 pm

You don't remember the camo guy? :goofy: I thought about going to more of those wars, but Nerf never really had the same appeal to me as water guns. Plus you guys' fighting style is a little too laid back for me, haha. I prefer the more militaristic style of fighting that we do at water wars.

Maybe if we get to know each other a little better we can get together sometime. I'm always looking for battle opportunities. Unlike Nerf, we barely ever get together to fight; this year has actually been really eventful. Our general age group is usually around 12-25 or so, though there will be some younger players at the CT war.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:34 pm

There was one other camo guy (Langley) and yeah nerf is pretty laid back but some wars are fast paced. It really depends on the day. What are some note worthy soaker rounds to suggest to my team?

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:51 pm

I have played in a few 3HK duels and it was lots of fun, they were mostly over in less than a minnet each so you can have lots of them per war. my best working gun is a gorgon but I don't let that stop me.

as for guns WWn is having a league and the grand prize is a CPS 2500 with a few other guns at certain point levels
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Neptune wrote:(if this is really against the CoC/ToS/rules please let me know)
lol definitely one from the NIC. :goofy:

Welcome to WWn!
Always great when we get some people who can do stuff already with stock guns and/or PVC already onto this forum.

Eastern PA here, btw.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 pm

What exactly is the league and how do I score high? I think I just filled up my teams arsenal thankfully.

Edit: Sorry, typed that really fast. Point is I just agreed to come buy a bunch of guns for a reasonable price, so now my team will actually have an arsenal. No CPS still but for air pressure only rounds... Look out ;P That being said, is it weird to have an air pressure only war? How much of a difference range wise is a CPS to an XP like blaster? Would one person just dominate the entire war?

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Welcome Neptune. You're my name, just in Roman! :goofy: . Well, It depends on what CPSand XP you're thinkin' about. Lets say a CPS 2000 mk1 VS. a XP 300. both get 50 feet, 300 has a bigger shot time and capacity, meanwhile it has the dreaded droppoff. The 2000 is considered the most powerful stock blaster, emptying its pressure chamber at riot blast output, 50 feet, for that 1 dreaded second :goofy: I don't think it's the best; 1 second blast with tiring 30 second pressurization. sure. 'Don't know why, but the 2000 isn't that appealing to me.

Anywho, AP only isn't weird, it's interesting! I'm all for it. BTW, i could see NJ out my window; from NYC. :D

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Well ironically I was going to be poseidon on here (I love the greek mythology) but then I saw some jerk beat me to it :goofy: so I went neptune. I like guns having a pretty standard range. I remember at a few NIX wars one team just out ranged the other team by far, as they all had hundred dollar home-mades vs other peoples modified nerf guns. I have a 105 that I really like and it pumps pretty fast and with great power (And a 110 that has one problem after another). I am getting a few more guns this weekend hopefully but they are all AP as well.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:52 pm

if you look into that range: about ~35-40 feet, right? About any mid-large XP, and any MAX-D, if you wanna be king of the hill: a SS 300. Just about any AP water warriors blaster is good, too. For this situation, i would bring my 250, though it won't be AP for long( read anything CAPTAIN XERXES) !

Muahahahaha! :x :goofy:

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:36 pm

Well. Not to be super off topic, but my xp 110 is now leaking out the back of the firing pin so that's probably out for a round, however I just spoke with someone selling some old soakers and now will be getting a 200 and a 300, so once I fix them there's always that. But for both a split a long the pressure chamber on the seal do I just melt it, goop it, epoxy over it or will that not be enough? As for the xp 110 is there something I can do besides cutting open that valve?

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 am

You can always tell when someone comes from the NIC when they precede their posts with "I hope it's not against the rules but..." or "Please don't ban me for this but..."

hahahahaha

Ok, so, now that we are probably through with having some fun at your expense, I'll get back to the main topic (please don't ban me for my tangent). :D ok seriously.

I am currently in Afghanistan, as you can see to the left here, but when I return home in November I'll be in North Carolina. I will be in North Carolina until the end of April, which is when I'm getting married. We are moving to Mississippi. I go to gradschool at Mississippi State. After that I'll most likely only be able to make one community war a year, because the tri-state area is a long drive from MS.

In regards to weaponry, I suggest checking out my site, isoaker.com, or DukeSoakem.com for some good recommendations. The best weapon is dependent upon numerous variables, including game type, your fighting style, your physical ability, and your knowledge of said weapon. These are the most common game types. There are more complex game types, such as hold the line, zombies/infection, assassins, etc. but they all more or less fall into elimination (players have limited # of limes), score based, or capture the flag/other objective game types. In elimination game types, especially where lives are few, range and power is the most important factor in a gun. I don't think it gets any better than the CPS 2000 for this type of game. In 1 hit scores the game ends after a certain amount of time, or after a certain team reaches a set number of points. Typically these games have more action, thus capacity is more important than in 1 hit kills games. In my opinion the best guns for 1 hit scores rounds would be the CPS 2500, CPS 1500/1700, or SS 300. Capture the flag games are usually very quick paced. I would not recommend anything you can't run with. This is a VERY rudimentary breakdown on this subject. Also, remember that sometimes we play rounds where power is restricted ie "no gun with over a 5x nozzle" or "air pressure only" rounds. Ultimately, nothing compares with getting out there and gaining experience first hand with different guns.

If you want help fixing your 110, start a new topic in the repairs forum and post some pictures as well as an in depth description of the problem. I've fixed my XP 110 twice before. It's one of my favorite guns for casual soakfests.

If you would like to come to the Conn war and absolutely can't afford gas there are a few of us on here who have chipped together $ to help out others in the past, and would be willing to help you out as well. All in the name of the sport ;) or war or whatever it is that we do... of course you'd have to prove yourself as a contributing member of the community, or maybe I could help you out with gas once you actually made it to the battle. Most of our members are struggling hs/college students, but we want people to come and participate.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:43 am

I'm definitely going to put a lot of thought into the December CT war. As for weapons I'm most working with what I can get good deals on, I'll post about those once my purchases end (in fear of sniping) and most likely a repair thread for those as well haha. I really hope to get enough people overly interested in the hobby that I can have a solid team, and I am going to go post a repair thread for my 110 of doom. Also I'd feel weird asking you guys for money.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:53 am

Well, if the 300 you're going to get is broken, $50 and it's sold! :goofy:

Anyway, i plan on coming to the CT war, too. If you've read the thread, there's going to be some pretty creepy areas for battles.

$50 should also be enough for a gus guzzling car, right? The reason i want an old 300 is:

Click on my name, the screen will go to my profile. In my soaker armory, it says (CX line etc. etc.). This is Captain Xerxes, just with different blasters.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Sadly I'm going to fix the 300; the repair should be simple enough and I have a relativelhy large (6'9) tea,,ate its going to. Everything else is tiny in comparrison