Fall 2012 Connecticut Water War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Fall 2012 Connecticut Water War

Post by marauder » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:23 am

The way yankees handle hurricanes is the same way we handle snow in the south. It's hilarious. I would be surprised if the place gets destroyed. I am more worried about access being cut off. It's very common for hurricanes to break up isthmuses and cause new inlets to form.

And Poseidon, you have an awesome avatar. I hope you actually get an XP 15 to back it up.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:02 pm

We're not really equipped to deal with hurricanes and hurricane-nor'easter hybrids. Until Irene, some waterfront building codes on the Sound did not require new construction to withstand more than 65 MPH sustained winds. Especially on the Sound, the ground is low lying and packed with development right on the beach. My cousin's house that got destroyed in Irene was literally ON the beach. LBW being broken up is a possibility. It has dunes, but they are very narrow along much of its length. I'm not too concerned about the Pav since it's such a solid structure, even if swamped it should remain standing. The theater, though, looked vulnerable. Core walls are strong, rest ripe to get washed away.

We are going to lose power because the big station in Bridgeport that serves the region is being flooded. Most likely they will pull the plug to preserve their equipment before the major high tide tonight.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Poseidon2000
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:17 pm

We're feelin' it here. Pretty dangerous. NYC is extreme, CT is major, and up is moderate. We have 60mph winds right now. more than a foot of rain. Below us is in the same pattern: basically from down to up it's moderate, major, extreme, major, moderate. ALSO IT'S MOVING SLOWLY, SO IT'S STAYING HERE FOR A WHILE. subways and power is slowly dying, so you could expect me to get 'zzzzzzzzt!!!!!' for a while....:P

DX

Post by DX » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Power is out again. 3 trees down, cables in the street, it has been closed. Winds gusting over 70 mph, expected to gust over 90 later tonight. Still 5 hours before the big surge.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Same here... :cry:

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Gurgle, hurricane's gone, but I'm worried for LBW and Manhattan. That wave, yeesh. Manhattan's already flooded, and it's low ground, kinda like a boulder in a river. LBW, i've seen some vid on the news, it's not doing good. Hunnhh.....

Annyyywwaaayyyy, I hope this storm doesn't scare people away from coming in December. Even if there is no LBW, we'll still have an awesome war.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:50 am

You okay Poseidon?

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:32 am

O yeah, since I'm in a complex apartment building and 5 stories up. :D

On the other hand, half my friends and family have no power, plus just about EVERYONE in manhattan. :mrgreen: I hope they're fine!

DX

Post by DX » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Power is out, lines are all over in the street, which is closed. Three trees went down in my driveway taking the lines with them. I can still get out because I parked my car in Paine before the storm hit. Tried to check the waterfront today, could not get anywhere near it. The water is still too high, will try again tomorrow. 3 main roads are open.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:29 pm

hope it gets better! I got lucky, my complex is in high ground, but 8 trees are down, along with the sidewalks around them. :oo:

Manhattan's dead, like DX's turf, just with a power plant explosion and flooding. :mrgreen:

I hope CT gets better, DX.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:02 pm

Nuclear power plant? :goofy:

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... AqYZ433TeQ

.......no. Just the centerof stuff. push a button, that place has power. If explodedededededed, :P YOU HAVE NO POWER.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:04 pm

Duxburian wrote:We are going to lose power because the big station in Bridgeport that serves the region is being flooded. Most likely they will pull the plug to preserve their equipment before the major high tide tonight.
Poseidon2000 wrote:Manhattan's dead, like DX's turf, just with a power plant explosion and flooding.
Well, it's obvious which town is the smarter one.

Back on topic, we got one month to go before this event. Now's the time to start making preparations.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 pm

woah. :oo: gotta rerererererereretell my dad that. :P

DX

Post by DX » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:50 pm

Checked out LBW, everything is still there. Our coast did not get creamed like the Jersey Shore did. The peninsula did get inundated and the theater is a bit flooded. The parking lot is serviceable enough. It was very cold despit being 58 degrees though, now that much of the vegetation has been buried in sand, the wind whips right across. I have pics, but cannot post those from my phone.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:57 am

Wow, seams like you guys got hit a lot harder then we did. Monday had pretty high winds and a lot of rain, but we only even lost power for 10 minutes and nothing got damaged. Though it probably is a good thing we put all the lawn chairs and trash cans in the garage, because they would be 3 counties over by now! Tuesday I pretty much got a free day off from school, all it did was drizzle a bit! I'm glad to hear everyone is OK, even if LBW was gone, I'd still be coming to this war.

I am very worried about my Aunts beach house, it is in Ventner and they haven't even let people go back yet. Her house is 3 blocks inland, but from aerial photos, things do not look good. Most the houses within a block are badly damaged or gone completely! At least it is just a vacation house, it would be really bad if she lived there!
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:33 am

We've got about two weeks before this. Bailey still doesn't know if he can come or not; hopefully I'll get an answer from him soon. But anyway, I need a bit of information. Where are we staying again? I think DX mentioned something about having a barn that we could stay in. I want to know if I should bring a tent or not. Also, while I don't know about CT, hunting season has started here in NY (and once again I didn't get my license), and won't end until mid-December. Will this be a problem? If hunting is legal in Paine Open Space (P.O.S.? :D ), I'd worry about stupid hunters mistaking us for deer or something. I've heard way too many stories of such accidents.

When the time rolls around, we need to check the weather so we know which guns to bring. If it's warm enough, I want to use my 2700, but if it's going to be below 40 degrees, I wouldn't bother bringing it because it takes up a lot of space.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:19 pm

The 2nd floor of my garage/barn has lots of space for sleeping bags, it is currently used as a home office. There is a pullout couch bed, but using it takes up a lot of floor space. If anyone needs a real bed there are 2 in my room and a fold-up.

If anyone needs a hotel instead, the closest reputable ones are:

Best Western
100 Kings Highway Cutoff
Fairfield
(203) 659-2200

Trumbull Marriott
180 Hawley Lane
Trumbull
(203) 378-1400

Hunting is prohibited in Paine Open Space. Hunting is open in the adjacent Centennial Watershed State Forest, though. The boundary is marked by yellow blazes and white signs. Hunting is prohibited on Sundays, so it only matters for Saturday.

Still too far away to get in the 10d forecast. 3 more days until Saturday goes in.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Sweet, thanks. I'll probably stay in the barn, as hotels are rather costly. I plan to get there around 4:00 on Friday, and leave whenever everyone else does (probably sometime on Sunday). Although it may not feel like it, this war is almost upon us.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Man, I wish I could go. But unfortunately it's not happening. We can't afford to go, and I could get a lot of good guns for the money it will take to go down there. You guys, take lots of pictures and videos. I want to see this as much as I can.