Fall 2012 Connecticut Water War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Fall 2012 Connecticut Water War

Post by marauder » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 am

So my original list is good with you then?

eg XP 240s, XP 20s, Goblin, Liquidator I got for free from Soakologist
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Pretty much, but I don't think the Equalizer and Defender (there are probably others as well) should be allowed, mainly because, while they're small, they aren't really "pistols". True, I consider them to be "large pistols" in size, but as I said, we should stick with mid-size pistols or smaller.

Of course, is it "pistol-only", or just "small weapons only"? If you want my opinion, I think we should have an air-pressure-only round in the pavilion area, pistol only in the theater, and an anything goes (depending on the temperature obviously) round where we use the entire LBW area if it's good enough for fighting.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:42 pm

THAT would be amazing. the entire LBW area for 1 round! Theater, Pavillion, and everything in between. Like a real battleground with enclosed areas. :bringiton:

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:08 pm

SEAL wrote:Pretty much, but I don't think the Equalizer and Defender (there are probably others as well) should be allowed, mainly because, while they're small, they aren't really "pistols". True, I consider them to be "large pistols" in size, but as I said, we should stick with mid-size pistols or smaller.

Of course, is it "pistol-only", or just "small weapons only"? If you want my opinion, I think we should have an air-pressure-only round in the pavilion area, pistol only in the theater, and an anything goes (depending on the temperature obviously) round where we use the entire LBW area if it's good enough for fighting.
Yes, I agree with that.

My thoughts for the pistol round would be it has to be able to fit in your pocket (assuming you have cargo pants) though easily one hand could also be a judge though the Arctic Blast is one of the easiest one handers around so there would be some problems with using that as a factor. Though exceptions might be made for some guns that are "pistol sized" but can't fit in a pocket like the Liquidator. Picture the water gun equivalent of a magnum revolver being the limit.
Don't underestimate the Equalizer, it doesn't have quite the output, but it has the range and power of my Colossus in a much smaller package and still holds 40oz! If we count that as a pistol then I will probably start carrying two of those in my cargo pants! :lol:

I like the idea of an air pressure only round in the pavilion. Are there any tables or stuff we can use as barricades?
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:45 pm

There are three problems with using the entire surrounding area, of which 1 is meh and 1 can't be shrugged off.

-The place will be wide open, other than the ruins in between. Wide open space at the head of a barrier beach on a cold morning. There could be wind. This is after walking 2 miles to get there and 2 back afterwards. I don't really care, but it could be nipping cold.

- The outside area is in full view of the entire Bridgeport waterfront, and more than 100,000 people live in that city. If someone doesn't like what they see, hello cops. No one can see a battle inside the theater and they shouldn't notice if we are in the changing rooms under the pavilion either. In fact, this is why the theater is scheduled before the pav - if the cops come, that round is done by the time any get there and we can be innocent looking under the pavilion. We shouldn't have problems with just water guns, but people across the harbor can't see that. They might think it's paintball or a gang fight.

So, I would like to avoid being in the open as much as possible. This also means NO camo in this round, and no camo guns if possible. We want to look innocent. The pavilion is safe enough, but I do ask that nobody run in the theater. We will have a first aid kit and I'd like to not have to use one because it's been 6 years since I was certified in that. I also don't want to carry you 2 miles down the beach if you impale yourself on something.

Also, the pavilion is only called that cause it has a large roof and columns. It's more of a bath house, with two changing facilities in each wing. The wings have numerous rooms and hallways and are somewhat symmetrical. It is like being in a video game.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:38 am

..:oo:.....Okay, no Whole LBW area, NO CAMO in LBW, and NO RUNNING in the theater, right? :p Probably stick to no homemades, either. :goofy:

Basically, LBW is the funky part of the war, but The Paine Open Space is the part that we're used to, beside the 3 full hour round.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:59 am

Oh, okay. I didn't know what the surrounding area was like. We should just stick with the buildings then. No camo? What about an urban pattern? :goofy:

I'm wondering how we're even going to fight in the theater though. By the looks of things, it will be hard to move around in there.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:06 am

Hurricane Sandy and the resulting merged superstorm has the potential to flood LBW and send waves across the peninsula. I will have to visit later next week to see what happens. Neither abandoned building is at risk of collapsing, as they are made out of concrete, but roofs could be damaged and the such.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:21 am

Yes, dodging 2000 is bad enough, I'd rather not have to focus on dodging shingles as well! :goofy:

How many people are coming to this? (And in case I haven't be clear enough before, I am coming)
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:32 am

More or equal to last downpour.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:22 pm

I don't mean to sound condescending, but have you ever actually used the guns you're talking about Poseidon? Or are you just basing your analysis on internet reviews... the Defender is much smaller than the Arctic Blast, and you can actually fit it in your pocket - unlike the Liquidator and Equalizer. You can't just look at a gun's listed length and make a size assumption on it, width, height, and overall shape are all very important. Likewise, you can't just look at a gun's listed capacity and make a judgement on its size. Some guns cram a lot into little space, others have designs which waste a lot of space.

Also, I've never liked categorizing blasters as "small pistols," "large pistols," "light rifles," "medium rifles," etc. it seems way too subjective. The best way to do this is just to establish a white list. X blasters are legal, and the rest aren't. If you would like to discuss why you think certain blasters should be legal or illegal then that's great, but I don't want to spend time on here debating what qualifies for a certain category and what doesn't.

I am cool with SEAL using his Equalizer if y'all are cool with DX using his Defender.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:33 pm

I never said ANYTHING about defenders. I just brought up AB vs. equalizer. besides the riot blast, they both have very close ranges.

hehe, I don't like categorizing immensly too, but I just thought that if blaster A was legal, why not B?:p

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:56 pm

I've seen DX's Defender, and if I remember right, it was about the same size as my Equalizer. I have no idea about the Liquidator, as I've never seen one. It looks pretty small though. The Arctic Blast is about the same overall size as the Equalizer; it's shorter, but taller.

I personally don't really care what's legal and what's not; I'm going to be bringing all my low-caliber blasters, so I'll use whatever is the most suitable.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:49 am

Ok, then, since you're cool with it we'll have a Defender on our side, in addition to some of the other small guns mentioned.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:18 pm

We have a major potential problem with the superstorm coming in. Evidently the LI Sound-facing waterfront is already flooding and we're supposed to get a tide 6-11 feet higher than normal on Monday night. At that height, plus the waves, Long Beach West is at risk of actually washing away or being cut off from the mainland. All the structures on it are also at risk of being destroyed. The bridge across the marsh to get to the parking lot is underwater already and the parking lot is gone.

So let's hope this place still even exists on Wednesday. Otherwise, we'll be at Paine Open Space the entire time.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Yikes. I hope everything turns out for the best. The storm is supposed to hit us tomorrow; if I'm not online for a few days, that means we lost the power. Hopefully it won't take like a week to get it back on this time.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Same here. No school! :p Well, I'm not as worried for this though, hopefully by the time Sandy gets to CT, it'll be weaker, and LBW would just get a bath... :goofy:

Think positive!!!

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:34 pm

I doubt it. They're talking about 60 MPH gusts in this area, and we're roughly 100 miles away from the ocean. My school canceled classes for Monday, so we're expecting to get hit hard. Imagine what it'll be like at the waterfront.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:47 pm

It is only supposed to get stronger - not the hurricane part, but the hybrid storm. The effects will be at their worst in the area we want to use for a war. Physics kind of outweigh positive thinking. The normal tide is 5-8 feet. Last high was 9 and a quarter, so the peak rise on Monday night will be 15-20 feet. And like I said earlier, that's without the 5-15 foot waves that can build on the Sound with storm force winds. That is massive for the low-lying LI Sound waterfront and that's why the storm is expected to eclipse the 1938 hurricane and the 1991 perfect storm. At 951 millibars it's stronger than the 1938 storm and physically larger than most nor'easters and hurricanes in the past 30 years.

The coastal effects are what prompted the evacuations and why this will impact the water war.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Yeah, it will impact, but it might not be so bad. I am at the LI sound, 15 minutes of walk or 3 minutes of drive and vóila, i'm there. However, there is a chance that LBW will stay intact. for instance, I've taken strep throat tests twice this year, and the quick test that is 95% correct said I'm fine. In the labs to back it up that has 100% chance of telling if I'm sick or not, said I have strep throat. That happened BOTH TIMES, That tiny 5% is still something, like a glimmer of hope if you will. :P