Fall 2012 Connecticut Water War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
Poseidon2000
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Fall 2012 Connecticut Water War

Post by Poseidon2000 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:31 pm

We could always use lukewarm water, right?

I would still bring my cps'es at least one of them just for the fun of it. If the weather cooperates(which i think it will, CT is close to NYC, and last year, it snowed once, and it was only ~55 degrees), we'll probably use CPS weaponry.

AMBUSH

Post by AMBUSH » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:41 am

We will probably bring CPS anyway unless it is 30 degrees, but I don't think it's going to be that cold. I am pretty sure that it's going to be 40 or 50 degrees anyway. About lukewarm water, I don't know how are we going to get that. The only place that I think we will get lukewarm water is DX's house, but I don't think we are going to fight at his house.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:51 pm

I think the battleground is within walking distance of DX's house, unless we do end up fighting at that Long Beach West place, which I think we should consider, especially if the abandoned buildings are accessable.

Like I said, I have no problem with using CPS if it's 50 degrees or higher. Unless the forcast looks absolutely horrible, we'll probably bring our best CPS blasters.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:59 pm

I would rather not use CPS unless it is mid 50's, 50 just seams a bit could. I will figure out something (under armor, raincoat, etc.), for the rest of me not getting too wet, but the problem I would have is with my hands. I find I have trouble going with out gloves if it is below 50, and that is without involving water. Unless it is above 60 I'd rather not getting 2000s involved at least.
I really like the sound of going to that town to fight, besides running around my microscopic back yard (which shouldn't even count), I have done very little urban warfare and this sounds like a great opportunity.

On another note...
I hope my dad is willing to drive up there, he has talked about taking the train and if we do that I doubt I could bring anything bigger then a 1K.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Do you plan on getting very wet? I don't... :cool: Seriously, how much water did you get on you in all the "typical" rounds that we've had? I for one got soaked more by my own sweat than enemy shots in some rounds. Even if we do use CPS (we could set an output limit if we wanted; say, no more than 10 or 20X.), I'm willing to bet my 2700 that temperature/getting wet won't be an issue. I got one point blank shot at Downpour this year, and in all the wars I've ever faught in, I was only point-blanked around 3 or 4 times (if not less.) in non-soakfest rounds. If your hands get cold easily, just wear gloves. As long as they're not super-thick, they shouldn't hinder your fighting ability, and I believe DX wore one at Downpour 2011 (though likely just for the purpose of avoiding blisters and what not.). If it's cold enough, I'll probably wear them too.

A few things: One, DX needs to post pictures, and two, when is the fighting expected to start? I want to know when I should leave. Also, has anybody contacted wetmonkey about this yet? I don't think he's been active in a while.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Ok so I went out and scouted Long Beach West today. Unfortunately, the houses have all been demolished and removed. However, that's a good thing because it's opened up the interior to the public. People were walking through that area and it wasn't a big deal. Plus, there are still some abandoned buildings left that are epic. There is the pavilion with 2 wings filled with empty rooms, which used to be mens' and womens' changing rooms and showers and the such. There is also the theater, complete with an outer hallway, seats, and a large stage. The concessions building is also abandoned, but it's too small to be very useful. There is a 4th building that has nothing in it, and is essentially just 4 walls and a roof. It's the size of a barn, though. There used to be a carousel, but it's been destroyed and the ruins are in front of the theater. I have an awesome gametype idea for the pavilion and the theater would be just something standard. The pavilion is actually set up for 2 symmetrical team bases and CQ fighting, while the theater would only be cool because it's a battle in a theater.

I have a complete set of pictures from outside and inside these places, but I need to finish GJIV's pictures before I post these. Just a teaser:

The pavilion center:

Inside the theater:

One thing I am going to say is that if we want to use these places, those rounds need to go to age 13+. The theater especially is no place for kids. These structures have been totally abandoned since 1996 and are filled with broken glass, concrete, wood beams, etc. Basically, it's what you'd expect for an abandoned complex - epic if you play it safely, dangerous if you're too immature to know what not to touch.

If we want to use these, and I totally do, we'd get up early on either Saturday or Sunday morning and walk down the beach. We'd play one or two rounds at each, then go back to my house for lunch. The rest of the war would be in Paine Open Space. This would be medium guns max, as all the fighting is CQ, and there is no fresh water anywhere on Long Beach West. This would definitely need to be filmed.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:57 pm

That looks really creepy, yet really epic at the same time. It reminds me of this abandoned church summer camp down the road from me, that hasn't been used since around the 60s. It's private property, but sometimes we like to uh, go in and look around a bit. It's really awesome and creepy; with all the old abandoned buildings, it looks like a zombie apocalypse hit. I thought about having a war there many times, but even if we did get permission from the owners, it would probably be pretty dangerous. Most of the roofs and floors look like they could collapse at any second, and many already have. Open wells, flooded basements, tons of broken glass, countless sharp rusty objects, thorn bushes, and even a yellow jacket nest, all would make fighting there a bad idea. Just thought I'd mention it because it's so similar to those pictures.

We could have individual rounds in the theater and pavilion if we want, but I'm thinking a round where we use the entire area would be the most epic. How large is the place? Nobody I'm bringing would be under 13, but I think M4's nephews are, so that might be a problem. Also, I wasn't really planning to stay on sunday; at most I'd leave in the morning, because isn't M4 leaving on saturday night or something? I don't think he'll be around on sunday. Depending on when M4 plans to get there, I can either arrive the night before, or early in the morning on sat. By the way, how far is Long Beach West from your house? Is it just down the road, or is it like Hydropocalypse where we have to drive for a half hour or whatever?

Those pictures have made me really excited. I hope we can fight there, but I'm worried about M4's nephews.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:41 am

SEAL wrote:Those pictures have made me really excited. I hope we can fight there, but I'm worried about M4's nephews.

And me, too! :baby:

Anyway, I am not that far from 13, in January I'm 12. Any small exceptions? :goofy: besides, why in the world would i want to touch sharp, dirty glass? It's just common sense! I'm probably still going to come even if i can't go inside the theatre, etc., because there's still going to be parts of the war outside there. OOOR, I could wait until someone comes outside and blast them with my 2500 20x!!! :soaked: :cps2500:

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 am

I'm going to be in Conn for a week, so I'll be there that entire weekend. I can't fight on Sunday because it's Tiff's birthday and I'm taking her to NYC. I can't fight on Friday because I'm spending it with my family. My nephews are tough, I will talk to Tiff's sister about how she feels about fighting in the theater. I just fb messaged Wetmonkey about this.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:13 am

So unless everyone else sticks around on sunday, I'll probably leave either on saturday night or sunday morning, depending on how long we fight for. I see no reason why we couldn't fight on sunday; without M4 and his group, we could still have enough for a few rounds, but that depends how many people we end up getting. If we have 6 or more after M4 leaves, I'll be willing to stick around, unless the weather is shitty.

Regarding the theater, while it might be fun to have a round where we fight exclusively in there, I'd much rather use the entire area, which would eliminate the problem because the younger participants can just avoid the theater all together. However this depends on how big the place is, and how good it is for fighting. If the theater and pavilion are the only good battling areas, we might as well just use them.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:42 am

I think the pavillion's fine for everyone, just some people might get lost a few times. "Help!..." echo...echo......echo. :goofy: Anyways, it doesn't look that big, concerning the theatre. It looks kinda cramped, with all the debris.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Wow, this looks super promising. Unfortunately I cannot commit myself for sure until the week prior, simply because my schedule has and will continue to be an unpredictable mess. We have field trips coming up this year, parent teacher conferences, and I also may have work due for my graduate program. If I can, I will absolutely be there. I never had time to finish my homemade CPS this summer, but I have all the pieces, so maybe over Thanksgiving break...

Soak On!
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Hey guys, we should make up some kind of temperature/weapons list. I don't really know what the right word for it is, but here's what I have in mind:

Under 50: Nothing more powerful than a CPS 1000/1200/2100
50-55: Nothing with over 10X output, so you could use a 2500, just as long as you don't use the 20X nozzle.
55-60: Anything except 2000s (or ultra-high-powered homemades, if anyone would actually use one.)
60+: Anything goes.

Basically, what blaster restrictions do you want to set for each temperature level? Above is my idea, and marauder's (who I'm posting this for, since he says he can't access this topic.) is pretty similar, but less detailed.

In his words:
marauder wrote: 60+ anything goes
50-60 1200/1000/2100
below 50 Colossus, Gorgon, 150, 275 etc
What do you guys think? We could also factor in rain and wind chill if you want.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Meh. at this case, i think dec. 1 is goin to be 45-55 degrees. I'd say 1000-1200-2100s are goin to be the limit for the war. But that temp. thing's good.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 pm

My idea is:

Under 50 degrees: 5x and lower (so the 1000/1200/2100 are fine)
50-60 degrees: 10x and lower (the 1500 is fine, but not the 2500)
Over 60 degrees: Anything goes
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:12 pm

I've traded some PMs with marauder, we have pretty similar ideas. Though I also noticed something as well:
scottthewaterwarrior wrote:
marauder wrote: Mine:
60+ any gun goes
50-60: CPS 1200/1000/2100 and below
50 and below: Colossus, Gorgon, 150 etc and below
Similar to my thought on the matter. Though I wouldn't want to take a close shot from a 2K anywhere below 65.
I have stopped caring as much though, I've realized that my main concern is with my hands, if it is below 50 or 55 they are going to freeze off regardless whether they get wet or not! Any gloves that I find warm enough don't really allow a good trigger finger. But I will work something out, getting my hands numb is probably worth it for a war in such an awesome location anyway.

I can go outside in 30 degree weather with nothing but a light sweater so long as my hands are in my pockets! :lol:
So for the most part, I can't really do much about my hands, and as long as no one point blanks me with a 2000, I should be OK. Maybe we should make some sort of rule for ambushes. Assuming it is 50- degrees, I'd rather not get shot with anything larger then a electrstorm if some one sneaks up behind me. I would defiantly prefer to just be allowed to surrender in that case.
Duxburian wrote:My idea is:
Under 50 degrees: 5x and lower
Well, other then a few Soakfests, I never use anything but the 5x on my 2500... :goofy:
Though I'd rather something smaller anyway, easier to put your hands in your pockets and let it dangle from the sling when your gun is not 3 feet long.

I'd probably try to avoid that theater if I could, I like having more room to maneuver and less pointy objects if you trip. Though I think if we all brought a few Max-D 2ks it would be a pretty awesome "duel" arena.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Avoiding an ambush is always a burden bestowed on the player(s) being ambushed...besides if you restrict ambushes, you are taking away your #1 defense against speed. Also, don't forget that the understory dies off before December. There will be very few places to ambush. At the pavilion and theater, you won't have to worry about too many large guns regardless of the temperature, as there is no fresh water available. Any battle there will be fast-paced, making it difficult to refill if you bring water and thus favoring guns with smaller output and larger reservoirs.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:14 am

Everyone bring lots of towels and at least one change of clothes. I am not concerned about being cold while we are fighting, but while filling up between rounds/traveling from the ghost town to the park. Remember, if we fight at the ghost town it will be early in the morning, the coldest part of the day.

I would like to use this as the first battle where we start the team rivalry. DX, myself, and my nephews vs SEAL, his bros, Scott, and Poseidon. If Neptune comes I assume he will be on our side, considering that will give us 3 community members vs your 4. However, I am not going to speak for Neptune or Wetmonkey in terms of what teams they prefer to be on. I am merely making suggestions and of course every member has the right to decide who they want to fight for.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:22 am

Well, DX made it a point that Neptune's on his team. However, if he's bringing 3+ people with him, we would have to split his teammates or make another team. :P

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:15 am

Wait, so we can war inside abandoned buildings? Awesome!
I've got 110 problems but a <Nice lady> Ain't one