The Tie aka No One Gets Out Alive (Hydropocalypse)

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

The Tie aka No One Gets Out Alive (Hydropocalypse)

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:33 am

It was one of the few times in my life where I didn't know what I was going to do. When the enemy has superior firepower the appropriate thing to do is to conduct a guerilla war. But the woods surrounding us featured very little underbrush to serve as cover and concealment. We would have to fight the enemy head on, and I didn't like our chances going up against 2 2000s in open battle when we were outnumbered and my right hand man was armed only with an XP 270.

We were about to begin when Paul and his girlfriend Becca drove up. Now we outnumbered the enemy 6 to 5. I liked the experience on my side of the fight, Belisarius had fought DX for over 4 years in the Ridgewood Wars, and Paul had been one of my best teammates in the later Vermin Wars. I sent Belisarius ahead to scout out the enemy position. He was to look for vulnerable points in their defense, if possible he was to lure them off the hill and down to the floodplains surrounding Sal's Branch. The 2000s wouldn't have such an advantage then.

Our scout wasn't able to lure them out of their position but reported that they were most vulnerable on the left flank where there weren't as many downed trees. We spread out and moved slowly up the hill, Belisaurius and Tiff took the left flank, Scott and I were in the center, and Paul and Becca had the right flank. After you moved up the steep initial climb from Sal's branch the slope became very gentle. We moved cautiously through the hardwood forest towards their position.

We were almost in range when I had Belisarius and Tiff rush their left flank, hoping they'd get around and behind the enemy position. There wasn't enough cover available to pull off this maneuver undetected. The enemy spotted the flanking attempt and sent Laura and John to block. We had an XP 270 and a Vindicator against a CPS 2000 and a Gorgon. As good at dodging as Belisaruius was he couldn't get in range. We were overpowered. Tiff was immediately eliminated by a 2000 blast. I ran over to help. Keith tried to stop me, but I took him out with my 2000. Still, I was too late. John had eliminated Belisarius.

Meanwhile on the right flank Duxburian rushed our line and took out Becca. I brought our team back together, we had become too spread out. DX and Laura rushed our line again, but we were ready. Scott spread out to the left to distract DX and I was able to eliminate Laura. DX made it back to his line and we ended up with an old school Mexican stand-off, with no one willing to make any risky moves for a while.

Finally, John and DX pushed forward with their 2000s. We dodged and I covered us as we shifted our position to the right, perpendicular to our opponents original position. What followed was chaotic with a lot of shots going back and forth but no one hitting each other. My 2000 had run out of water, so I picked up Becca's 1500 and Tiff's Vindicator. I didn't have much success with that combo, so I set the 1500 down and used the Vin to refill my 2000. I'm surprised that no one rushed us while my 2000 was down; and yet everyone wanted to charge each other as soon as I had it back up. Paul was the first casualty, John took him out but was unable to turn around fast enough to see Scott coming up from behind. DX and I ran right into eachother's shots in the onslought, just as Scott hosed down John. And then, just like that only 2 combatants remained!

Everyone stood around watching as Scott and SEAL circled each other. It was sudden death. SEAL, usually the more conservative player, was moving fast, trying to catch Scott off guard, but Scott made excellent use of the trunk of a large oak tree, using it to shield his movement and to protect against any shots SEAL might throw his way. SEAL must have caught Scott in a split second, coming around the corner of the tree firing his 2500. SEAL turned and fired his 2700 into Scott just as he was nearly knocked over by Scott's blast. It was a tie! Everyone was eliminated.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: The Tie aka No One Gets Out Alive (Hydropocalypse)

Post by SEAL » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:14 am

I take it that things are slow over in Afghanistan. :goofy: Great battle report, but now I'm wondering if I should have done each battle seperately to get more points... But wait, don't you get points for each individual battle anyway? Because I got points for the entire war, not each individual battle, while other people got points for each individual battle who did post it all in one thread. It's not too big a deal, but still...

At the end, I actually tried to keep the tree between Scott and me until I could get close enough to shoot him. I did this by shooting to the right and left of the tree, then rushing forward in an attempt to catch him off guard. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite fast enough. However, I did this same tactic against him last weekend, and it worked perfectly.

Overall, this was a pretty good battle, although the terrain was kind of dull in my opinion.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:23 am

Yeah, it's Ramadan, so everyone is fasting here during the day and there is almost no activity. I didn't post this battle separate from the others to get more points, I posted it becuase it was finished, and the entire thing is going to be realllly long if I post it together. Points will be awarded to me the same as they were to you, all in all for the whole war, that way things are fair. So, I'll get the same # of points as you for combatants and length of account (500+ words).

I already told you about how I'm trying to make a special Community War section on Hydrowar. There's still much to be done, but you can already see how I'm going to lay out the war story portion: http://hydrowar.com/hydropocalypse.html The terrain was dull, I agree with you. I think it's a similar problem to what you and DX have said about Onteora Lake. You have to hike way back to get to the awesome parts, and then you are far away from everything. We had too many people coming and going to just hike back there.

Some pictures from this battle:

SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:26 am

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that. I was just wondering if I should have done them seperately. But if we're counting everyone's report for the whole war, then it doesn't matter.

At Onteora Lake, we actually did hike in to the good parts, haha. Then I had to make a mad dash back to the campsite in the rain to save my cell phone and camera, which were left outside the tent. The woods surrounding the campsites were also great battlegrounds, but we never used them. I wouldn't say that you have to hike in to all the good parts there, it's just that the whole place is too big for such a small group, and camping out there is difficult, since the nearest campsite is a 5-minute walk from the parking area.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:04 am

Nice war report! You refilled the 2000 pretty fast, you picked up the other gun at most a minute before you and DX got each other.

A little off topic:
In the first battle at Downpour 2012 I was expecting SEAL to try what he did, I knew I could never get him until he got closer. The problem was he did it so fast, when I popped out he was about 5 feet closer then I thought he'd be. Next time I am going to make sure I have a better gun, maybe not my 2500 since that is hard to keep in my tent when I'm sharing it with someone else, but a Colossus at least.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:19 am

What gun were you using in that battle? Your 105?