Hydropocalypse Official Thread

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Vermin War 13 Official Thread

Post by SEAL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Okay, it looks like it's all settled. My grandfather will be taking me, and I think he'll just stay at my uncle's house, which is only 2 hours away. We just need a date so we can prepare.

I can't wait to do some serious fighting again. I seriously miss having big hardcore battles.
CA99 wrote:If anything, I'm the one who's out of shape. I can't run continuously for very long and it's been a long time since I ran, say, a mile or two at a time. I'm trying to focus my training less on continuous endurance and more on speed, though I haven't had much free time to work out as of late.
You're lucky you're not me. I have a 6-mile long running race coming up, and right now I can only run half that. I'm trying to focus on speed as well.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:30 pm

A 10k? Why? Good luck!
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:55 am

Ok, it's official, I signed my orders to fly back to the United States!

The war is going to be the weekend of the 19th/20th. I am seriously contemplating making it 2 (+a night) days instead of 1. The most likely course of action is that everyone drives down on Friday the 18th and camps out at my house. We will have a bonfire and fight night battles on Friday.

Saturday morning we will drive out to Umstead Park and scout out fighting locations. We will be driving in from the US 70/Umstead Parkway entrance. Specifically I want to look at Oak Rock Trail, Pott's Branch Trail, and Sycamore Trail. The first 2 are as close to parking as Dug Hill was. Sycamore Trail is very rugged and features some great hills and ridges. The creek itself is just wide enough to make crossing difficult, unless you find the right spots, and there are some great peninsulas we could defend. The water is clean and can be used for refilling. The same is true for Big Lake. We'll start fighting before lunchtime, with whatever game type we decide on, at whatever location (will narrow this down later). http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/wium ... arkmap.pdf

We'll fight until dinner and then everyone can dry off and change and eat. We'll probably camp out at Umstead Saturday night. Sunday will be more fighting and then people are free to leave whenever, like at Downpour last year. I am not sure when all my local friends will be able to show up, I will work on those details over the next few weeks, but between everyone on the board, my brother, my sister, and my girlfriend we will have 10+ people even when my local friends aren't there.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Okay, that sounds good. I'll be coming down the night before anyway, since it's like 12 hours away. In fact, we may even have to stay for 3 nights, and leave on Monday morning.

So are we going to have a naval war? I'll be bringing my Douchenator either way, but I don't have any boats to bring. Do they rent them?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:44 pm

I really want to have a filmed scene of a battery of WBLs either being fired off all at once or in riffle fire. That and a round that is purely bombardment. If we do one where the bombardment is from high ground to low ground, the launchers could keep firing after all the balloons are used up (since every launcher can be used as a water cannon when it's pointed downward, the air rises to the back of the PC and doesn't get in the way). I also might mod my lacrosse stick specifically to use water balloons. It will probably ruin the stick, but I don't play lax and it's a girl's stick anyway (I found it in curbside junk).

I'll also be doing the 3 night stay. Don't really want to think about the distance yet, it's not much shorter than Seal's drive.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:13 pm

The friend I'm bringing (if I can make it) played lacrosse in high school and has four sticks; two short and two long. The short ones however, were modified to grip the ball but I don't think he's willing to change them up just for lobbing water balloons; not sure. In addition, I have two WBL's and might have a 3rd one built and completed by then, which will feature 3" caliber and rear-loading breech via threaded cap. (The slightly long time it takes to load shouldn't be that bad because sWBL's seem to operate best in crews of two, and the loader has to wait for the pumper to finish before firing anyway.)

What we could do for the WBL round is to strictly limit the number of blasters that both teams may use. We can also try high ground assault/defense where either defenders or attackers get all the WBL's. There's a lot of possibilities.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:32 pm

The defense should be pretty stationary because otherwise it will be like an infantry regiment charging a civil war artillery battery. The battery never wins when the infantry rushes. A round with all WBLs against just regular soakers would last all of 30 seconds. There have to be either strong incentives or rules limiting the defense to...defense.

If you bring a breech loader, keep it hidden on the way. The reason that most WBLs are muzzle loading is to escape being classified as destructive devices, not because of the slower reloading process. A large bore, pneumatic launcher that is muzzle loaded and separates the projectile, propellant, and sabot, is not regulated in most jurisdictions. Once you change the loading type, it is subject to regulation. Of course, anything is subject to regulation if you point it at a person, but by default, most WBLs are not classed as anything special in most places.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:35 pm

That's strange, I figured that no one generally cares about pneumatic launchers as long as they're not obviously built to be air rifles or something similar. In any case, I don't have reason to brandish any of the WBL's I carry around but even if I did, I figured they'd be regarded as no more destructive than a potato cannon. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

In any case, my most common methods of ensuring that defenders only defend is to use objectives. Limiting the playing boundaries for both teams (each w/ different boundaries) may work too.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:18 am

If everyone gets here on time on Friday we can have an attack/defend scenario at my house. The woods slope downward from my house to the creek, so we could use the ridgeline, or use my old tree fort/the shed and set up some defensive barriers.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Hey DX, if you want to hitch a ride with us you'd be welcome; I'm pretty sure we'd both be going the same way (Once we're south of NYC, that is.) anyway. It might be a little cramped though, and you'd need to give me a list of everything you're bringing so we know whether or not to take the pickup truck. Let me know if you want to.

M4, what's the schedule? I'd like to know when we should plan to arrive.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Just get here on Friday, Friday will be spent getting settled in and fighting however we feel like. Just enjoying hanging out and whatnot at my house. When can you be there by?

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:41 pm

I think it's about 10.5 hours, so if we leave at 4:00 in the morning, we could probably get there around 3:00 PM. I don't think we can leave earlier than that.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Change of plans, at this point I doubt I will be able to make it on Friday, my school's art salon is on the 18th and I've missed it for the last two years. This year I actually have some nice art work to show off so I defiantly want to attend that. I should be able to make it by early afternoon on Saturday, I would say 12:00pm but I know myself well enough that the chance of me leaving the house before 9:00am are pretty slim. Though since I will be leaving on Saturday instead of taking part of Friday off, my friend Bela can come! He still has to ask his folks but it shouldn't be a problem.

Are we still having a naval war? Because if we are then I was wondering if someone had a spare Stream Machine. I have two off brand ones I can bring just in case but neither work very well so if there are any spares that would be great.

Edit:
If you guys really want, I could skip it and come Friday, but I'd rather not. Besides, wasn't the main battles planed for Sunday?
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 pm

It might be a little cramped though, and you'd need to give me a list of everything you're bringing so we know whether or not to take the pickup truck. Let me know if you want to.
I am bringing an 8ft kayak, 2 WBLs, maybe a water cannon, a lax stick, 5 CPS 2000s, a CPS 12K, maybe some other CPS, some air pressure guns, sleeping bag, duffle bag with clothes, bike pumps, and maybe materials for objective rounds. I've planned to use the station wagon anyway as it's a lot of stuff.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Has this event been Facebooked yet? It would help me out quite a bit but if I gotta do my own (i.e. Event hosted by me titled as "HBWW goes to Vermin War 13" as opposed to event hosted by M4/WW FB page titled as "Vermin War 13") I'll do that then. My ability to attend is still not on stable ground yet and I would like for it to be before it gets lost. A FB event would simply help me organize.

Edit: I took the liberty of using my convenient moderator powers to edit the date of the event into the OP.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:46 am

I haven't made a fb event because I've found that ppl are a lot more likely to come if I talk to them personally and individually rather than just send them an invite. Plus, most of the people who are going to have a big concern over what game types are being played and when will be on here. Everyone else will just adjust to whatever we decide to do.

Scott, don't worry about being here on Friday. It's your last year of highschool right? Go to the art salon, and bring your friend on Saturday. I'm going to add them to the attendence list now.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:32 am

Yep last year, sigh, kind of a scary thought actually, I'm not to good at change. I should be OK though, just going to the local community collage.

Glad that it's OK if I come on Saturday, got some real masterpieces this year and rather like showing them off. I will probably be coming around 1:00pm, should I just meet every one at the park then? Not positive my friend can make it, he's got to ask his parents, but he's 95% sure he can come, so put him on the list.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Megan can't come anymore because she has a mandatory hair show in Myrtle Beach that weekend, so I will see if my bro's gf can film.

However, Jack and Will can make it! They are driving down from VA as soon as their last lacrosse game of the season is over on Sat morning. Albert and Candice are coming over after a wedding on Sat morning as well. My brother and sister also won't be coming back from the beach until Sat morning either. Add in Scott and Bel, and we'll have a lot of people there for Sat afternoon. Sat afternoon and Sun morning should be our real big battling then.

Attendence is now 17 and counting

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:50 pm

That's awesome. I can hardly wait. So does this mean that everyone from last year's Downpour will be there? We should totally have a round where everyone from Downpour '11 battles everyone else (it looks like we'll have enough people.), although we should probably use weaker guns, haha.

DX: In that case, you're probably better off taking your car. We would definitely need to take the pickup truck, and even then it would be hard to fit the kayak in. The truck would also cost twice as much to take down there.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:20 am

SEAL wrote:I think it's about 10.5 hours, so if we leave at 4:00 in the morning, we could probably get there around 3:00 PM. I don't think we can leave earlier than that.
This would be ideal. Tiffany and I are leaving Myrtle Beach around noon, should be home before 3.
SEAL wrote:That's awesome. I can hardly wait. So does this mean that everyone from last year's Downpour will be there? We should totally have a round where everyone from Downpour '11 battles everyone else (it looks like we'll have enough people.), although we should probably use weaker guns, haha.

DX: In that case, you're probably better off taking your car. We would definitely need to take the pickup truck, and even then it would be hard to fit the kayak in. The truck would also cost twice as much to take down there.
I am down with having a round of ppl from last year vs everyone else, or we could do members vs everyone else. However, I have been reading old war stories lately - mostly Ridgewood vs Waterbridge and the Vermin Wars. I feel like there is something missing that we used to have before, and that's the passion and intensity of rivalry. While I plan on having scenarios with mixed teams, I ask the membership if they would consider forming teams again. Perhaps (loosely) north vs south?

There are advantages of dividing teams fairly by talent, but you also miss the team loyalty, and the drive and desire to win at all costs. Victory is sweeter, defeat more bitter.

Official FB event page: