Duluth Community soakfest.

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
1xalpha

Post by 1xalpha » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Date: Saturday, April 21, 2012
2:00pm until 5:00pm

Rules: No face-shots
Have fun.

:cps1500: :cps2500:
:cps2700: :cps3000:
:soakwcps1000:
:helix: :cps2500:
:soaked: :cps3000:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Duluth Community soakfest.

Post by SEAL » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:00 pm

What's wrong with face-shots? :goofy: Seriously though, my group actually used to count headshots as instant deaths, whereas if you got hit anywhere else, you'd have to pretend to be wounded. It was pretty funny, but we stopped doing that in 2010. I've been thinking about reviving those hit rules, just without the wounding thing, haha. The only time I would ban face-shots would be if we were using ultra-high-powered homemades, or if there are little kids participating.

Anyway, I doubt I'd come, since GA is over a day away from here, and to be honest, I don't care for soakfests that much. I hope you have fun though.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:01 pm

If you get a good team together maybe we can have a battle for the south next year. Remember to take pics!
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Would love to come, but Georgia is a bit of a trip for me. Soakfest can be pretty epic if done right. The battles at the CSW were really awesome and all (some better then the soakfests I had had) but I was sad that the only soakfest we had was a free for all on a big open field.
SEAL wrote:What's wrong with face-shots? :goofy:
I used to play with no face shots, but now I normally play by a rule where you have to be about 10 feet away. Accidents happen, but every one understands no one wants to get hit point blank in the face with any thing bigger then a squirt gun so enforcement has never been a problem. Though for something like a 2K I'd say 15ft would be a better rule.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:14 pm

No face shots... at least that's miles better than the absurdly stupid "no shooting at anyone refilling" rule. Still a completely unnecessary rule for almost all situations though, even soakfests.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:51 pm

SEAL wrote:What's wrong with face-shots?
You'd know if you wore glasses. It's a one-sided disadvantage that can't be overcome by more training, experience, better guns, or money (only surgery). Otherwise, I wouldn't care about face shots, but when your glasses get soaked, you can't see shit and you have a hard time shooting back. It is very difficult to dry glasses off in a soakfest since everything else tends to be wet. Depth perception is also screwed up, which isn't a problem on an open field, but imagine a soakfest on a rocky cliff like that place we scouted out across the street from Dug Hill. You can easily end up twisting an ankle or stepping right into a gap since you can't judge the ground very well. I am near-sighted and have a good sight radius extending out to about 2 feet. At 4 feet, I can't read a book title in like size 160 font. At 20ft, I can't tell that it's a book. Therefore, face shots are extremely cheap since there's no good counter when you can't see.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Wow, I didn't even think of that. For me, the problem is not so much the water droplets but the fog that comes off my wet face. I'm lucky though, I can still see well enough to avoid hitting things. The best why I can describe my eyesight is 20/if I squint I can see the license plate in front of us at the stop light. :lol: But without glasses you wouldn't want to take a point blank shot to the face anyway, messes up your eyes for a good 2 minutes anyway while you try and rub the water out from behind them.
You know, I'm glad this isn't a Nerf forum, we'd all be banned with the amount we go off topic! :cool:
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Well, yeah. I wore my sunglasses in the community war soakfest, and I got blasted in the face a couple of times, so I know what you mean. For OHK though, it doesn't matter because you'd be out anyway.
I notice I usually tend to aim for the torso when I fight, so a no-face-shots rule wouldn't really matter to me anyway. I was half-joking when I said "What's wrong with face-shots?".

I agree that a soakfest could be epic if it was more tactical, but the way 1xalpha said "Community" soakfest, I immediately pictured one of those mass, unorganized, FFA battles where everyone just shoots themselves silly. I really don't like that kind of fighting at all.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Soakfests were epic when we were 10 and afraid of getting hit by a CPS. That's part of what made the first Vermin Wars so good, you had kids with squirt pistols and the enemy had a CPS 2000. You have to have inexperience, you have to have variation in weaponry.

I mean, soakfests are still fun to me, but tactically, things don't really matter much anymore, because the firepower isn't as varied, and nobody is really afraid to get hit anymore.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:16 pm

DX wrote:
SEAL wrote:What's wrong with face-shots?
You'd know if you wore glasses. It's a one-sided disadvantage that can't be overcome by more training, experience, better guns, or money (only surgery). Otherwise, I wouldn't care about face shots, but when your glasses get soaked, you can't see shit and you have a hard time shooting back. It is very difficult to dry glasses off in a soakfest since everything else tends to be wet. Depth perception is also screwed up, which isn't a problem on an open field, but imagine a soakfest on a rocky cliff like that place we scouted out across the street from Dug Hill. You can easily end up twisting an ankle or stepping right into a gap since you can't judge the ground very well. I am near-sighted and have a good sight radius extending out to about 2 feet. At 4 feet, I can't read a book title in like size 160 font. At 20ft, I can't tell that it's a book. Therefore, face shots are extremely cheap since there's no good counter when you can't see.
I'm also nearsighted (but to 1 feet instead of two before it starts getting blurry) but I actually prefer wearing glasses during wars. Even with some droplets, I can still see pretty easily, and far less water gets in my eyes which means I don't have to deal with the "blinding" effect typical to face hits.

I've always worked with soakfests from a different perspective it seems, even ever since I started having water wars. I virtually always stick to team soakfest games, and started off with hidden CTF flags before creating single-sided assault games where one team is invincible and the other gets a ton of waterpower (think two hoses or more). Soakfest is not necessarily synonymous with unorganized, boring crap; they can be just as fun as regular games when setup correctly and I think they are an interesting, unique feature of water warfare that doesn't work at all in any other wargame. (Or doesn't work safely, in the case of Paintball/Airsoft/High-end Nerf.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

1xalpha

Post by 1xalpha » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:35 am

Not many people coming but its today for any atl dwellers lookin for a battle. If numbers stay fairly low we'll break into capture the flag b4 the soakfest

:ss50: :cps3000:
:cps1500: :soaked:

1xalpha

Post by 1xalpha » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:37 am

Forgot to say it r today at in the Duluth Towne green outside the city hall.

1xalpha

Post by 1xalpha » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:58 am

teh fight r today and small numbers so gonna start it off with a game of offvdef CTF

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:50 am

I'm looking forward to a full battle report. Please post it as a new topic here: http://www.waterwar.net/site_wwn/board/forum154.html

We'd love it if you could get some pictures taken.