2nd round - Comunity War Name vote

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.

What should we call the Comunity War?

Aquapocalypse
27%
Downpour
64%
Hydropocalypse
9%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 11

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

2nd round - Comunity War Name vote

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Here is a new vote for the final round of voting to give the Community War a name. I have included the 3 top names and other. Please only chose other if you absolutely despise the other three names. You can change your vote.

I pretty much copied SEAL's format, but if you care, then come here and blast me! :cps2700: :soaked:
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Re: 2nd round - Comunity War Name vote

Post by SEAL » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:45 am

I'm actually having a tough time deciding now; I'll think about it for a while before I vote.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:22 pm

I know right? I've yet to re-vote, either.

Aquapocalypse -
PROS: Looks like the original word, conveys epic water power
CONS: Long, linguistically awkward, same abbreviation as the Nerf war

Downpour -
PROS: Short, fine linguistically, still conveys a sense of water power
CONS: Not as epic as other choices, doesn't have a great abbreviation

Hydropocalypse -
PROS: Stronger play on the original word, conveys epic water power
CONS: Long, linguistically awkward

Still undecided for now.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:24 pm

I gave up on trying to decide and just voted for Aquapocalypse again. Would it be the same abbreviation as the Nerf war? I thought it was APOC or something. For Aquapocalypse, I'd probably call it AQLPS or something (It's the best way I can think of doing it.).

Either way, it looks like Downpour has the most votes anyway. Should we just throw up our hands and use it? I do like it a lot, since it sort of pays tribute to the first event, where we got dumped on from above on the second day by Mother Nature's water gun.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:01 pm

I think we should give it another week, just in case, but I think every one has voted. I really want to get back to planing it as well, not really much to do now other then pick a date which I know no one wants to do yet, but I am impatient, I want to do something! :x

If you want to vote and haven't, you've got to next Tuesday!
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:19 pm

I decided on Aquapocalypse this time around, last time I'm pretty sure I voted Hydropocalypse

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:52 am

Committees are good at coming up with options, but IMO, for final choices, it often better works by NOT trying to please the majority, but rather having those this event means the most to make the ultimate decision. In the case of the Community Water War name, I would really want more-or-less consensus by those who either attended the 2011 event or will >90% attend the 2012 event. Of course, the preceding is personal opinion on choosing the name. However, having been on various naming committees, the "best" names that the majority end up loving have not been what the majority originally voted for.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:02 pm

I just asked my friend Bela, he liked Downpour the best. While not actuly a member, unoficialy Downpour now has 6 votes. :goofy: Not that it wasn't going to win anyway.

Remember, next Wednesday, voting ends!

DX

Post by DX » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:33 pm

I ended up switching from Hydropoc to Downpour, mainly because it is easier on the tongue. It was still a tough choice and if the others don't win, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing them again. Hopefully we'll be able to rebound and grow enough to host multiple community wars each year, with one premier event (the one being voted upon now).
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:56 am

To have multiple community wars every year would be awesome! I wouldn't mind even if I had to drive up to New York for every battle, though that probably wont happen this summer since I have my license but I'm not yet comfortable driving long distances with out one of my parents in the car. I think it would be really nice to get some more members for other reasons too though, right now most members don't even live in the same states and are hours from each other. I know DX and SEAL aren't that far, but having more members would also increase the likely hood of them being near each other. We could have the yearly big event and then other smaller local ones.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:39 pm

I decided not to vote since the chances of me making it are still very uncertain. I like the multiple wars idea so long as it doesn't divide everyone up too much between wars.

If anyone wants to make that shitty drive (as DX appropriately described it as and having been on road trips to Boston and South Carolina, I couldn't agree more) up to Michigan this summer, we can definitely try to work something out.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

atvan

Post by atvan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 pm

I will be driving to Michigan this summer anyway…
but the parents would probably say no.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm willing to drive out to MI, but only if some other people were to come as well. I don't think it would be worth it to drive all the way out there just to battle CA99 and his squad. Maybe I could carpool with DX, wetmonkey, or someone else nearby. Otherwise though, unless we could work it into another trip, I don't think I'd be going that distance for a small-scale battle.

Me and Scott are planning to meet up at Brickfair for a battle (My brother likes Legos.), so if anyone else from the community wants to come, I could see a war happening right there.
Also, as I believe DX mentioned in another thread, we could have a "New York vs. Connecticut" war, where DX and wetmonkey can team up to fight against my team.

I can see quite a few wars happening this summer aside from the big one, so there's plenty of chances for the other names to be used. The future looks bright.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:38 pm

SEAL, "his squad" consists of like 20 people who rotate in and out lol. I host my wars like parties; I invite everyone I know who'd be interested and might be able to make it. Unfortunately, most of the time people are being losers and won't come, so I often get 4 to 6 players total. On a good day though, we get 5v5 games. Okay, so it's nothing special, but those are the best games I get usually.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

atvan

Post by atvan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:51 pm

I mght be able to make it to brickfair too… This may end up being the best year for the community for the second year in a row.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:19 pm

If anyone has questions about Brickfair go ahead and PM me, this will be my 3rd year so I know most the ins and outs.

The latest update for me is that my friends Luke might not be coming, he is really freaking out over the whole get ready for collage thing but who knows what will happen by summer. Bela is defiantly coming though, so when we do start talking about an exact date I will make sure to get out what dates he can make it too.

Black Six

Post by Black Six » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:49 pm

If you guys are going to have a battle at BrickFair you can probably count me in, and I could get a whole mess of people who would probably join us too. The only problem is that most of us probably wouldn't have blasters, since they're not soaker fans and would be traveling from out of state.

I can also provide info on the event. Scott - how have we not met there yet? I've been to every one they've had.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long."
-Anonymous
-=+Maximum Soakage+=-

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:25 am

You might have met Mafo0 who used to be a member on here. He's from MD and used to go to all the Brick Fairs. I want to start going, though I guess Ill have to wait until 2013.

Honestly, I think there is a big crossover between Lego and waterwar fans. You could probably generate a lot of attention at the Brickfair. Perhaps in the future we can have a community booth or something like that with battle scenes and guns made out of Lego. Just something to think about.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:59 am

marauder_4 wrote:Honestly, I think there is a big crossover between Lego and waterwar fans. You could probably generate a lot of attention at the Brickfair. Perhaps in the future we can have a community booth or something like that with battle scenes and guns made out of Lego. Just something to think about.
^pure brilliance

B6- I signed the bzp book two years ago… The problem with brickfair is that my dad always combines it with one of his trips which is a week long and not something that piques my interest. Now, if there was a WW booth, I'd have an excuse to be there a while, and it would balance out th boredom. Would love to also do one of the BZP mega reviews with you guys, tehe, but it would be kinda akward as you's all quite a bit older. Would be funny on the site too- B6, DeeVee, [insert staff name here], [insert staff name here], random forum member you've never heard of, and [insert staff name here] participated in this epic review. :goofy:

Edit: In my rant PM to B6 (wasn't the original intent of the PM, mind you Edit duo- applies to the rant and naming lol) I thought of a name for this brickfair event- Brickwar! (Full circles are fun- now we are naming a community (inter-community?) war we didn't know was going to exist when this thread was created.) I love when total coincidence makes even the best effort to completely derail a thread bring it back to what it was originally intended without any guidance (rails? :goofy: ) from a mod or admin. I officially declare threadjack fail.
Beware the Purple

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 am

atvan wrote:
marauder_4 wrote: Now, if there was a WW booth, I'd have an excuse to be there a while, and it would balance out th boredom. Would love to also do one of the BZP mega reviews with you guys, tehe, but it would be kinda akward as you's all quite a bit older. Would be funny on the site too- B6, DeeVee, [insert staff name here], [insert staff name here], random forum member you've never heard of, and [insert staff name here] participated in this epic review. :goofy:
It's not awkward, we are just camp counselors at that camp that... haha jk. But seriously, we had 12? to 24 at the Community War and it wasn't weird. 10 if you count that random kid that just showed up for the soakfest. He said he was 12 but I'm pretty sure there's no way that's possible. I think it's good to have a mix of ages. We need new generations to get into water warfare, that ensures that the sport lives on and grows bigger and better. My gf told her nephews (9 and 12) about my battles and they want to join in. I'm not really sure how well a 9 year old (I think he'll be 11 by next year's community war) would do at a big war, but I'm definitely planning on having some battles with them.

When is the Brick Fair usually?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.