2012 Community War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
Radiodad

Re: 2012 Community War

Post by Radiodad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:15 am

Seal,
Very helpful!! Thanks!
We are still deciding on motorhome or not.... but it would be nice to have a place for me to retreat to! ; ) : )

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Yeah, let's go with the war as planned. I hope the weather isn't like today's.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:03 pm

The RV is as the following:
Grandpa's RV.jpg
Grandpa's RV.jpg (67.54 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Don't know so much about using it to go to the bathroom, the tank is only so big and we'd have no where to dump it so I think I might bring a shovel too. :lol: IDK though, if my dad thinks it won't fill up just from us on the weekend it could be used as a "refresher." I assume that we will be filling guns in the lake? I might see if I can find some sort of filter to bring. I have realized that anything big enough to jam my 2500 wouldn't even fit through the cap, but I'm still worried about a few of my smaller guns with 1x and 2x nozzles, especially during night wars since I will not be able to see anything in the water. But that is just me, Mr. Paranoid!

Hopefully I will have some new weaponry for this war, I won a CPS 1200 and 1K off E-bay, $19.99! With the 15 dollars I am paying in shipping I sure hope they came in by the war. But even if they don't, $10 a gun plus $7 shipping? Even my Colossus was 20 bucks and these are classic CPS!
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

Radiodad

Post by Radiodad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Gentlemen,
One concern that I have about a night war arises from perusing the info on the NY State Parks site, relating to black bears in the area.
Their guidance is to NOT go running around the backcountry woods at night, since you may run into a bear, and since neither they nor you will be able to see well, there is a major potential for problems. They did provide a phone number that we can call, to ask the ranger how frequent bear sightings have been around there this year. But I would definitely keep this in mind... bears are generally much more powerful than even a Monster XL....

Radiodad

Post by Radiodad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Weather forecast for next weekend in Kingston, NY : High of ~ 83-degrees for Friday - Monday,
40% chance of rain for Friday - Saturday, 10% on Sunday. We should put the weather tarps on our tents!

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Alright, we'll go with the original planned dates. 40% chance means that there's a 60% chance that it won't rain, so I wouldn't worry too much, although it could change. I'm putting the rain fly on my tent either way... :goofy:

As for the RV, I don't think people will have to use the bathroom in there more than once a day, so I highly doubt the tank would fill up. On Sunday we'll be at Dug Hill, which has bathrooms. We will be filling our blasters in the lake, and if you're worried about dirt getting in, you could always get a water bottle and attach a screen to the top, that would filter out any large pieces of debris.

I really wouldn't worry too much about bears. Black bears generally aren't very aggressive unless they have cubs with them (and even then, only if you harass them.), and while they can't see very well, they have a very acute sense of smell, so they usually run away long before you even see them. The worst thing that could happen would be if you surprised them from downwind. By the looks of it though, we won't be doing as much night fighting as we were originally planning. We probably won't go way out into the wilderness to do it either.

Also Scott, don't forget about the rest of the Hydropocalypse footage. ;)
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Duxburian wrote:Yeah, let's go with the war as planned. I hope the weather isn't like today's.
Not that it would make much of a difference for you lol.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:49 pm

SEAL wrote: Also Scott, don't forget about the rest of the Hydropocalypse footage. ;)
I know, I got most of the first first hill defense game done, unfortunately I just have bits and pieces of the second (and I don't think they are in order. :oo: ) After that I just have the soakfest on day 3. This event I hope to bring a tri-pod so I can film even when my dad can't (would only work for close in battles though).
Lately I have been distracted getting ready for Brickfair (I still need to look up close battle areas tomorrow). And that got done latter then I wanted because Minecraft is awsome! :oops:
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

atvan

Post by atvan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:48 am

Scott, while you're at brickfair, don't forget to stop by at the BZPower booth and say hi to Black Six. Speaking of, what ever happened to the Brickfair war?
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:23 am

CA99 wrote:
Duxburian wrote:Yeah, let's go with the war as planned. I hope the weather isn't like today's.
Not that it would make much of a difference for you lol.
Haha, exactly! It would be a shame if everyone had to drive all the way up here for nothing. The war will be on regardless of the weather, although if there are thunderstorms, we'll probably have to at least wait them out in the cars or something.

I will try to bring a tripod as well. Although I would like to have more long-range battles at this war, it'll definitely come in handy when we have our epic defense game across the street from Dug Hill on sunday. That should be one of the highlights of this war, and I have a great gametype in mind for it.

The Brickfair war should still be on, but my mom was having second thoughts about bringing us down there (I could try to go myself, I guess...). We can talk about it when we get together next week though.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Me and my dad are starting to rethink the camper idea. It would be really nice to have it with us, but the fact that we might not be allowed to park it in the parking lot would be a problem because then we would be stuck with no means to get back there if we could even find another place to put it (we do not have anything to tow a car behind the camper and no cars small enough anyway). If you can find out for sure whether we can park it there or not that would help, but there is also a chance that the lot might get too crowded and that would also be a problem.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:26 am

I've had two wars in '08 with light rain and background thunder before, but people are lame now.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:52 am

Okay, I have some more updates. Apparently, there's now a 60% chance of thunderstorms on Saturday (why am I not surprised? :| ), but 0% on Friday and Sunday (with fog!). Obviously, the day that we're doing the most fighting on happens to be the worst one, but if everyone's okay with that, I'll go ahead with the war as planned. Perhaps we shouldn't have called it Downpour...

Also, I talked to another one of my friends, and he said that he can't come at all on Saturday, but he can probably come on Sunday if my parents can give him a ride (he doesn't have a drivers license yet.). My cousins still don't know yet, and Belisaurius says that he definitely can't come. So we're looking at about 6 people on Saturday, and maybe 7 on Sunday. I sure hope this year is just a fluke...
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:47 am

I'd almost prefer to be at Dug Hill if there are storms, just because it has the Pavillion. I'm thinking because we don't have that many people, we can't really utilize Onteora Lake to the extent that it's capable of. It makes for a better place to camp than Dug Hill, but Dug Hill would be more friendly for fighting with small teams.

Also, because Onteora Lake is more remote than a state campground, someone has to watch the tents when we are away fighting. Or, we'll have to break down on Sat morning and set up again on Sat night.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Actually, I think we'll have 7 on Saturday and 8 on Sunday. I forgot to include Scott's friend.

Thing is, you can't camp at Dug Hill unless you have a reservation, and like I've said many times before, you can't make one unless you live in Hurley, and I don't. If I remember right, there were some excellent spots at the lake for small-scale battles, such as that really cold (in January, that is.) ravine with that little creek down the middle. I mean really, if you want to use Onteora Lake to it's full extent, you would probably need at least 100 people, just because of the sheer size of the entire place. We will probably just pick out designated fighting spots, and stick to them.

We'll be at Dug Hill on Sunday anyway, so I personally think we should just stick with our original plans, mainly because it's what I've already told everyone. By the way, I'm wondering when you guys plan to show up on Friday night. I want to know when to be there. Also, when do you plan to leave on Sunday? Obviously you won't have to leave so early this time, because you don't have as far to go as M4 did last year, but I might have a baseball game, and if it's late enough, I want to try to make it (I will know more about this later.).

How does this sound?
Fri.
???: Arrive and set up
???-bedtime: Casual warm-up battles, possibly some at night; you guys are responsible for dinner
Sat.
8:00AM-8:30AM: Breakfast
8:30AM-12:00PM: Battle
12:00PM-12:30PM: Lunch
12:30PM-5:00PM: Battle
5:00PM-5:30PM: Dinner
5:30PM-bedtime: Battle/night rounds
Sun.
8:00AM: Wake up, pack up, go to Dug Hill
Whenever-9:30AM: Breakfast
9:30AM-12:00PM: Battle
12:00PM-1:00PM: Party for my brothers (nobody has to bring presents or anything.)
1:00PM-???: Battle?
???: Leave

Good?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Radiodad

Post by Radiodad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:34 pm

Scott, Bela & I are probably going to arrive between 5 - 6 pm on Friday.
Are we planning to have breakfast at the campsite?
Cereal and milk, or something like that?

Our group will need to leave by 2 - 3 pm on Sunday.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:38 pm

I work until 6 on Friday and will probably leave directly from work. I'll probably get there between 7:30 and 8:00 PM. An hour should probably be set aside for Sat lunch, having been to a gazillion Nerf wars where lunch took longer than I thought it would. 5 is also early for eating dinner. If we eat that early, I will need to go get 2nd dinner.
12:00PM-1:00PM: Party for my brothers (nobody has to bring presents or anything.)
AKA a great opportunity to dump all of our broken soakers :p

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:01 pm

I will be bringing one, hopefully two 10x10ft pavilions again this year, so if it rains we will have a dry (mostly) place to hang out.

Still not sure whether we will be coming in tents or the RV. SEAL, can you figure out for sure whether we are allowed to park the RV there? If it is not allowed or you don't know that is fine, we wont bring it, but it sounds like it would be useful to have it there (we might need a ride to Dug Hill since if the lot is crowded we wont be able to park it).
Please let me know, even if you don't know the answer. I would like to bring it if we can, but I need to make up my mind soon.

He could still bail last minute, but as of now Bela is coming! If we really need more people we *might* be able to talk my dad into battling, though if we can he'd only be up for one or two rounds so we'd have to decide which ones we want him for.

I am going to be drilling these wars into my friends heads after this, they will be coming next year! :goofy: If I plan it out, I could get at least one more, maybe more.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 am

Okay, so it looks like Scott will be arriving first, so we could have one or two 3vs2 battles before DX gets there (just don't get stuck in any big cities this time! :goofy: ). I don't think it's necessary to set a whole hour aside for lunch; while many of those Nerfers are a little wide in the midsection, none of us are. How long did lunch take last time? 5:00 is when my family usually eats dinner, but we can move it to 6 or 7 if you guys want; I really don't care.

Like I said before, I see no reason why you wouldn't be allowed to stay in an RV there, since it's public property, and I don't remember if there were any signs prohibiting it. I'm going to check it out tomorrow, so if I see no signs, I'll assume that you can.

DX: I'm going to bring my broken 12K, so if you or anyone else wants to bring broken blasters, we could maybe make some trades.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Radiodad

Post by Radiodad » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks for the status update, Seal.