Community Summer War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
isoaker

Re: Community Summer War

Post by isoaker » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:26 pm

SEAL wrote:I don't think I can do that, since I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on a camera. Sorry, but I'll see what happens. For now, just picture 8 of these. :goofy:
Awww.. oh well. Was worth asking; perhaps someone who has a camera during the actual Community Summer War can take a pic before they get distributed.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

atvan

Post by atvan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:34 pm

Now I really wish I could go. My parents sort-of think waterguns are stupid, and they are even more paranoid than me.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:47 pm

IMO, there are much more inane hobbies which consistently feature large events year after year. Of course, the age issue will be a problem as the majority of members here are under 18.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Everytime my parents mention how old I am to be playing with water guns, I remind them that I can always spend more money and move onto airsoft. The main reason I haven't bothered is mostly out of cost and laziness, and the fact that I obviously can't have BB guns around my neighborhood.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:59 am

Yeah, reminding you of your age. You know what that means? Oh, right, that means you don't have to listen to your parents anymore.

Strict societal expectations about social behavior and age and gender belong in the past with Victorian England.

No one bugs me about waterguns.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:43 am

They don't think it's bad so much as they don't want to drive me for several hours to play with toys with people I've never met. They don't get it. I've played airsoft at friends' houses, and at a CQB place, and my parents think that's even more stupid. They think airsoft seems dangerous, but they have no hesitations about me mowing hills with a riding mower.

My parents are weird.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:31 am

OK, just an update on me, I now have a 90% chance of coming (as long as I don't get really sick or break a leg I should be there) my dad is making hotel reservations some where nearby (I'd have to ask him where). I no longer have plans to bring any friends, I finally had my first large scale non-soakfest and just about all of my friends were cheating or couldn't grasp the simple concept of a fist sized splotch. I think if I brought any of them they would ruin the event with their cluelessness or even worse, make a joke of the whole thing.

...And just a check, it's August 20th and 21st right?

Edit: And isoaker I might be able to film part of it, my dad has an HD flip camera that is water proof. I don't know how I'd play and film at the same time (maybe I could tape it on my head :D ) But I could defiantly get some footage wile I'm out.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:46 pm

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:OK, just an update on me, I now have a 90% chance of coming (as long as I don't get really sick or break a leg I should be there) my dad is making hotel reservations some where nearby (I'd have to ask him where). I no longer have plans to bring any friends, I finally had my first large scale non-soakfest and just about all of my friends were cheating or couldn't grasp the simple concept of a fist sized splotch. I think if I brought any of them they would ruin the event with their cluelessness or even worse, make a joke of the whole thing.

...And just a check, it's August 20th and 21st right?

Edit: And isoaker I might be able to film part of it, my dad has an HD flip camera that is water proof. I don't know how I'd play and film at the same time (maybe I could tape it on my head :D ) But I could defiantly get some footage wile I'm out.
Cool. I've updated the attendance list. Yes, it is August 20th and 21st.

And just a reminder people, there's only about a month to go before the event. I hope everyone is prepared.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:25 pm

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:I don't know how I'd play and film at the same time (maybe I could tape it on my head :D ) But I could defiantly get some footage wile I'm out.
It's possible to carry it while fighting but you end up with bad footage while playing, and even worse while pumping. What I did last time was (mostly) just film after being eliminated.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:31 pm

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:And isoaker I might be able to film part of it, my dad has an HD flip camera that is water proof. I don't know how I'd play and film at the same time (maybe I could tape it on my head :D ) But I could defiantly get some footage wile I'm out.
Any pics and/or video from this event would be awesome! As CA99 noted, unless you happen to have a good head-mounted camera stabilization system, taking video while trying to play at the same time will likely yield less-than-optimal footage. I'd say go for taking video either then eliminated or when opting to sit out a round and being "cameraman". Depending on how trusting and trustworthy others are, you may also consider letting others who are eliminated take videos while you are playing and they are out or choosing to play "cameraman". Of course, hopefully others will be bringing cameras as well to get pics and videos from a variety of sources.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:59 pm

I do not have a good method for holding the camera while playing, I was sort of joking when I said “while playing” (though part of me was considering taping it to my head) but I will just record when I am not playing, or my dad might also be able too, depends how involved in conversation he gets with the other parents.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:27 am

Have you guys seen footage from a GoPro? The quality is insane, and I would imagine it would be relatively easy to mount one on a blaster. They're also waterproof with the attached case which is very handy. My buddy uses one on his jetski and loves it.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:46 pm

wetmonkey442 wrote:Have you guys seen footage from a GoPro? The quality is insane, and I would imagine it would be relatively easy to mount one on a blaster. They're also waterproof with the attached case which is very handy. My buddy uses one on his jetski and loves it.
I was actually thinking about getting one. I'll let you know if I do.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Hey guys, we need to start deciding on what kind of games we want to play.

I will provide a list of various game types. Arrange them in numerical order by what you'd be most excited to play to least excited to play. Here's the list:

Soakfest (team)
Soakfest (free for all)
1 Hit Scores (team)
1 Hit Scores + Capture the Flag (team)
Re-spawn Capture the Flag (team)
1 HK + Capture the Flag (team)
1 HK (team)
1 HK (free for all) aka last man standing/survivor

We will most likely have time to play all of these, however, your submitted rankings will help us determine what games get prioritization and a higher frequency of play.

Feel free to propose additional, special game types. I'd love to play specific scenarios, but I want to tackle the basics first.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:15 am

Alright, here goes:

1: One Hit Scores
2: One Hit Kills
3: Re-spawn Capture the Flag
4: OHS + CTF
5: Last Man Standing
6: OHK + CTF
7: Team Soakfest
8: FFA Soakfest

I also have a few other games that I made up, like Hold the Line and On the Run, which I'd like to play if we have time.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:25 pm

1. OHS Team
2. OHS + CTF
3. OHK Team
4. OHK CTF
5. Respawn CTF
6. OHK FFA
7. Soakfest Team
8. Soakfest FFA

I'd also like to play Outpost, which is a OHK respawn territorial game (you try to take over all of the bases on the map). We'd need several sets of flags in two colors, though.

Also perhaps some OHK offense-defense games. Self-explanatory. Both teams would have the chance to attack and defend each chosen location.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:31 pm

If I may suggest, don't forget to think about how long each game takes as well as amount of daylight, temperature, food/rest breaks, etc. Might want to try laying out a general schedule of events

for example

Day 1:
9am-10am meet and greet+set-up;
10am-11am OHS Team games (2 games - 25min each with 5 min breaks);
11am-12pm: OHK elimination games (3 games, 15 min each with 5 min breaks);
12pm-1pm: Lunch
1pm - 2pm: everyone VS DX games :goofy:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm

DX, how would you handle a conquest game? I've had a few ideas that involve the objectives I listed on the wiki, but none are as ideal as, say, the ones I've seen in video games. xD Ideally, you'd have a set amount of time needed to neutralize an outpost already owned, and then another set amount of time to capture it. The time should vary depending on how many players are annexing it at a time. Once captured, it can serve as a spawn point. This is Conquest, the main game that the Battlefield series of large-scale warfare FPS's have been based on.

Anyway, let's take care of the non-objective games first. I think we can all agree that we need:
- Team/FFA Soakfest; no rules, just blasting around.
- Team/FFA Elimination; plain and simple with pre-designated hit rules
- Team/FFA Deathmatch; we discussed how to implement this in the chat room, and are still working on ways to count score.

To make things easier, we can require that all plays have a water-resistant digital watch with stopwatch and timer capabilities. A timer could be used to make kill counting easier, where you update your score by setting the timer number higher. However, the watches seem to have a standby mode where it resets if you don't hit a button for some time, so a stopwatch might be better for this even though it is slightly more tedious to use. But with that aside, watches are also useful for spawning interval rules.

Once we get that out of the way, I do have a number of games I could bring in. Single-sided assault, conquest, or yes, even everyone vs DX games.

As for schedule, I did work out something earlier. Keep in mind that this will be a 2-day event, so it does need some degree of flexibility.

Anyway, things have changed a bit for me. What I'm going to try now is to fly over there, but there are a few issues to sort out before I know if I can. However, I am slightly more likely to make it now than before, especially if I can find a friend who'll come along. As always, will update as the situation changes.

Edit: I'll have to take that back; there is little or no chance I have of making it. Going to be too busy at that time.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm

I was thinking the same thing.
Beware the Purple

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:54 pm

I like isoaker's idea, although I'm not for putting a time limit on the OHK games. We can play it by ear. I suggest the following:

10am- OHS Team games (2 games - 25min each with break length depending upon how far we have to travel to refill, etc.);
Following this we play OHK game(s) until we are hungry for lunch. So this could be 1, 2, or 3 team battles.

Then I propose that we do scenarios following lunch break, including elimination based last man standing. If you guys like this idea then please propose the scenario and special games you'd like to play. We can continue the standard team games in the late afternoon/evening when it's cooler. I would like to see some games based around the water balloon launchers. DX can bring his, CA99 if you fly you can mail them to me if you'd like. I'll pay for the shipping and then bring them in my car. I also propose that we have team battles using air pressure only weapons, or only 1 CPS gun per team just to make things more interesting.