Community Summer War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Community Summer War

Post by marauder » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:18 pm

There is talk of trying again for the DC summer war. As I said on SSC:

We aren't going to get anywhere this way. We need specific information. The only reason the war was going to be in MD was because Ben, I think, was willing to host. Therefore, I want everyone to give me the following info:

Your nearest Metro area (no addresses or private info please)
Where you are willing to travel to
Actual dates available (guess if you have to)

How many people you can bring to each proposed location: Michigan, DC, Upstate NY, Raleigh NC, and any others that might be proposed. Again, guess if you have to.

Edit: Updates by C-A_99

Update: It's not official without a tacky logo!

>>Event Description<<
A 2-day community water war event open to all registered members of iSoaker.net and Super Soaker Central forums. (And anyone else who wants to come, member-invited guests, etc.) Location and games played will be mixed and will vary.

>>Current Location<<
Dug Hill Park:
850 Dug Hill Road
Hurley, NY 12443

Maps and other info here: http://www.isoaker.net/isnet/topic4782.html
Pictures: http://www.isoaker.net/isnet/topic4716-60.html

Edit by SEAL:
We're missing an attendance list!
CA99: No longer coming
DX: None, or 1-2
marauder_4: 2
scottthewaterwarrior: Nobody else
SEAL: 2-3
wetmonkey442: 0-2

>>Currently Planned Dates<<
The event will be 2 days as dictated by this Doodle poll calendar: http://www.doodle.com/t8w3i87fhktaqya5

>>Schedule (Draft, VERY subject to change at the moment)<<

Day 1:
9:00AM-10:00AM: Arrivals, introductions, set-up.
10:00AM-1:00PM: Introductory Playlist.
1:00PM-2:00PM: Lunch
2:00PM-7:00PM: Complete Playlist.
7:00PM-whenever: Dinner, hangout, party, music, etc.
whenever - 9:00AM, Day 2: Sleep

Day 2:
9:00AM-10:00AM: Arrivals, introductions, set-up.
10:00AM-1:00PM: Long-Term War or Additional Playlist
1:00PM-2:00PM: Lunch Break
2:00PM-7:00PM: Continued Long-Term War or Additional Playlist
7:00PM-whenever: Dinner, hangout, goodbye's, etc.

>>Event Organizers<<
SEAL: In charge with all issues related to playing location
C-A_99, M4, DX: Additional input on game organization/plans, ideas, etc.

>>And of course...<<
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

marauder

Re: Community Summer War

Post by marauder » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:18 pm

I am near Raleigh, NC
I am willing to travel anywhere east of the Mississippi, plus Minnesota

I am available:
May 9th-31st
June 1st-10th, 26th-30th
July 1st-14th, 18th-31st
August 12th-27th

I can invite 18 people to a war around Raleigh, though I suspect I’d only have 6 show up, as it’s usually only 1/3rd of the people I invite that show up.
Charlotte or South Carolina : ~4.
Anywhere else: 1 or 2

This is probably going to be the last free summer I have until I retire, so I'd really like to get a good war going while I'm still in school.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:24 am

I live next to Los Angeles.
I'm not going to travel more than an hour away from where I live.
I'm homeschooled, so it's possible for me to go to a war almost anytime.
I could probably bring about 5 people that live close to me. I would at least bring a few.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:22 am

I am near New York City and Boston
I am willing to travel anywhere in a 6 hour driving radius, including north to Maine, west to PA, and south to northern Virginia

I am available:

Actually I don't know when for sure, given unknown job status. At this point most weekends from early June onward are open, except the first Sat in August.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:11 am

I'm about 2 hours north of New York City, and maybe an hour or so south of Albany.
I am willing to travel: I'm not sure. I'm not allowed to drive on my own yet, so I'd have to get my parents to drive me anywhere.
I am available: Pretty much anytime since, like martianshark, I'm homeschooled. I'm planning a cross-country trip in the fall, but we'll probably have the war before then.

In upstate NY, I could probably get 4 or possibly more (The maximum would be 7 or 8.), in NC, I would probably only get 3, but my cousins live in NC, so I might (Highly unlikely.) be able to get them to the battle, in which case we'd have 5. Everywhere else would probably be only 3.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Metro: Detroit, MI (specific city in profile)
Willing to travel: No more than perhaps 10-15 hours worth of driving; should not need to fly to get to destination
Availability: Varies

For wars near/in Troy: Virtually anytime after this Thursday. However, I will be looking for a job this summer and/or may be taking classes. Weekends are usually the safest time. I can't tell anything more specific yet though, because I have no clue what the schedule will be, but will do my best to accommodate and plan for, if necessary, for such a war.

For long road trips: This depends mostly on when my friends are available. They should be out of school by the end of May, hopefully. Edit: My friend who's organizing this trip is aiming for mid-July.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:39 pm

I forgot the 2nd part, whoops.

I don't know too many people anymore who would be willing to travel for a water war. Perhaps some nerfers I've met for the novelty, or something. Any location would be just me or +1 or 2.

DC and upstate are in range. North Carolina is a stretch considering I've never driven that far before. Michigan, obviously, is a stretch as well. I am at home on winding, narrow country roads, but on busy interstates...just don't have much experience. NC and DC have preferred climate, though of course you know what my low temp and bad weather limit is for a water war...what limit...
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 am

DX wrote:I forgot the 2nd part, whoops.

I don't know too many people anymore who would be willing to travel for a water war. Perhaps some nerfers I've met for the novelty, or something. Any location would be just me or +1 or 2.

DC and upstate are in range. North Carolina is a stretch considering I've never driven that far before. Michigan, obviously, is a stretch as well. I am at home on winding, narrow country roads, but on busy interstates...just don't have much experience. NC and DC have preferred climate, though of course you know what my low temp and bad weather limit is for a water war...what limit...
Haha, exactly! At this point it looks like it'd be best to hold the war near Seal cuz everyone but Martianshark could go. I hope that more people (isoaker??? Ben???) will respond to this thread and we can get more people who can go.

I am talking to all of my old teammates from Red Scorpion and seeing who can come.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:36 am

I am near DC.
I would be willing to travel an hour away, maybe two if my dad is willing. (I will only have my provisional license by summer so he has to be in the car for me to bring others under 18 years old, which would be all of them)
I could bring maybe 5 or 6 others but if you want only serious water warriors then only 1 or 2 other then me.
I do not have any plans that I am aware of other then August 4-7th. Might make vacation plans later but so far I have none.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:43 pm

I am in NYC, and have a ~1 hour driving radius.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:59 pm

soakernerd wrote:I am in NYC, and have a ~1 hour driving radius.
SEAL wrote:I'm about 2 hours north of New York City, and maybe an hour or so south of Albany.
I am willing to travel: I'm not sure. I'm not allowed to drive on my own yet, so I'd have to get my parents to drive me anywhere.
Poughkeepsie/Woodbury/Newburgh is in between both of you. If we had it somewhere around there could you both make it?

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:13 pm

I probably could; I've been to that area before (I think it's about an hour or 45 minutes away.). The only problem is, I don't know any good places to hold a battle there.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:22 pm

The only way I'm getting to such a war is via the huge road trip my friends are planning. We will be visiting amusement parks; the current list is:
- Hershey Park
- Six Flags Great Adventure
- King's Dominion
- Busch Gardens
- King's Island (for our return trip)
- Maybe Six Flags New England, just to ride the best roller coaster in the world: Bizzaros (formerly known as Superman Ride of Steel).
(List is probably not in order, not sure.)

If anyone is willing to drive themselves and wants to tag along, they can. They gotta drive themselves back though, since we're going to be busy going around our destinations.

Now, to avoid conflicts with my internship, should I get one, and to avoid crowds, we will be making this trip in late August. This trip is the only way for me to make it to a community war. If SEAL can host the war in later Aug and everyone's ok with it, I can come. Otherwise, I cannot. However, if this community war cannot be arranged in late August, I can still make arrangements with SEAL or anyone else near the area for a smaller scale water war.

Same deal goes with DC. On our trip we will likely be driving through or close to both locations, so even if we can't get a community war going, I can still meet up and war with anyone near the DC or NY/NYC area who wants to.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:29 pm

CA99 wrote:The only way I'm getting to such a war is via the huge road trip my friends are planning. We will be visiting amusement parks; the current list is:
- Hershey Park
- Six Flags Great Adventure
- King's Dominion
- Busch Gardens
- King's Island (for our return trip)
- Maybe Six Flags New England, just to ride the best roller coaster in the world: Bizzaros (formerly known as Superman Ride of Steel).
(List is probably not in order, not sure.)

If anyone is willing to drive themselves and wants to tag along, they can. They gotta drive themselves back though, since we're going to be busy going around our destinations.

Now, to avoid conflicts with my internship, should I get one, and to avoid crowds, we will be making this trip in late August. This trip is the only way for me to make it to a community war. If SEAL can host the war in later Aug and everyone's ok with it, I can come. Otherwise, I cannot. However, if this community war cannot be arranged in late August, I can still make arrangements with SEAL or anyone else near the area for a smaller scale water war.

Same deal goes with DC. On our trip we will likely be driving through or close to both locations, so even if we can't get a community war going, I can still meet up and war with anyone near the DC or NY/NYC area who wants to.
So, you can't go to a war, at all, unless it's in late August??? Or, is it that you can make it personally, but your friends won't come?

Schools start back mid August in the South. I will be taking a break off from school this next semester, but my friends won't be able to come unless it's before August.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:16 pm

My friends are my only ride to the water war for the entire summer. We may start going around Aug 15th or so.

Location pretty much doesn't matter at all as long as its roughly around that area, from about Richmond to New York. Even for those who can't attend on a long trip to a central community meet, we may be able to stop by and war.

Edit: For those who still don't know, Hershey Park has an intense water rides area. There's an area where you can use water cannons to blast others who are riding a suspended coaster, the Roller Soaker, or can fire on others walking by. Those riding the Roller Soaker can dump water on riders below. I wonder if they let you bring your own water guns over there.

Edit: Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxQCDjpu4Uw

You'll also notice the water cannons on the ground. Output on the water dropper is very high, but you don't get much "shot time" from what I've heard.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, each rider gets 4 gallons of water, totaling 16 per car. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_Soaker

Edit yet again: Here's another one of these rides, the Flying Super Saturator from Carowinds. Unfortunately, it closed in 2008. http://rcdb.com/598.htm?p=0

Apparently I might have gotten some facts wrong. The water cannons are aimed on a fixed setup and aren't accessible directly. Instead, I think you throw a coin into a box and press a button to blast when a car/train goes by which is rather lame. I'm not sure though; Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 features water cannons you can control but not sure if that reflects the real thing or not.

In either case, I'm definitely bringing some concealable water weaponry when I get into Hershey Park.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:12 pm

I think I could be around for a late agust war, would depend how late, my school pics up at the end of agust. I don't think I can travel much this year, might be able to tie in a New York war with a trip to visit relitives though, highly unlikely. Also highly unlikely but posapble would be a New Jursy one if aranged the time of a trip to the beach. This year I will be relying on my perents for rides and such so that is why it is so unclear. The summer of 2012 though I will be going to colage soon so I could probaly travel any where on the east coast. I will try and keep an eye on this topic to see updates, I'm not the most active member though.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 am

I just want to say that I am very thankful that I was able to get my drivers license at 16. I wouldn't have had such a rich highschool experience if I hadn't. I played soccer, basketball, cross country, and I was in history club, boy scouts, and played in a band. There is no way I could have done all of that without a drivers license. I know that there are other reasons some of you may not have your licenses yet, (and I can understand why some parents would be against 16-17 year olds driving several hours) but I think that getting your license in highschool helps prepare you for college, helps you become more responsible, and helps you become more independent. I know that it did that for me. It also helped my family, since both my mom and dad worked, I was able to drive my siblings around, buy groceries for my parents, etc. I had an argument with someone at school over this, they thought you should have to wait until you're 18.

I also am seriously curious why most of the active members are from colder areas.

Anyway, so let's go over this. If we have a war, say August 20th, between NYC and Albany the following people could come:

marauder_4 (my friends will be in school)
DX + 1 to 2
Seal + 4
CA99 + ?
Soakernerd +?

That is 10 people at the least.

Hopefully we can get more people to come, and hopefully all of you will be able to. I'm not saying we will definitely have it on that date or in that area, but as of early planning, it looks pretty reasonable.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:02 am

If you guys manage to pull this off, that'd be awesome! Pics, videos, etc. would be highly desirable. As much as I'd love to participate, chances are I wouldn't be able to. Heck, I wouldn't even be able to make any promises were the battle to be happening in my backyard! :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:13 am

Hey guys, I found a good place to hold it in my area. It's a public park with a pavilion, bathrooms, a playground, two baseball fields, a place where people dump dirt and stuff (To me, it looks like a fun place to duel.), and a forest where my brother once saw some people having an airsoft war. There's a lot of poison ivy around the edges though. I don't know about the inside, but I'm planning to check it out sometime. The place is farther north than the Newburgh area though, so I don't know if soakernerd would be able to come.

By the way, my mom said it would be okay for me to attend! So count me in! Unless perhaps we end up holding it somewhere far away from my area. I think DC would be in range, but MI or anywhere farther might not see me.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:10 am

Baseball fields are horrible places for a water war, but the rest of it sounds good. Will need to watch the wilderness though, which I myself have seldom dealt with and never had wars in. If the playground is large enough, it may work too, but playgrounds constrict mobility very seriously and usually lack any decently solid cover. (Though you can bring in some tarps or something to fix that.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare