Community Summer War

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
DX

Re: Community Summer War

Post by DX » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:19 pm

25 minutes for an OHS game is amazingly short. Every player is going to have to be incredibly aggressive in order to pull that off. I'd love to see some special games, although I would only bring my G1 launcher - the full length G2 is waaaaaaay too long and Wetmonkey's car is already going to be packed. So the launcher game would have to occur within 400ft.

BTW, the leading candidate for the campground has a lake with kayak and canoe rentals. I propose a naval battle at some point - bring a piston pumper.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Say, what's the name of the campground? I may know it. A naval battle would be cool, but we'd need time aside to do it. Maybe on the evening of the first day, after we're all done at the park, we could go to the campground and have a battle before everyone goes to bed (Hoping they allow the use of kayaks and canoes that late.). I was actually thinking about camping out as well; yes, I live close by, but we recently got a new tent, and I'd love an excuse to sleep out in it again. Maybe I'll bring some small blasters and ambush people on the way to the bathrooms. :goofy:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:34 pm

SEAL wrote: Maybe I'll bring some small blasters and ambush people on the way to the bathrooms. :goofy:
You, of all people, should know of the dangers of ambushing someone who needs to go to the bathroom! :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Hahahahaha. But while I know the dangers, I also know the defense! :ninja:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Camping sounds like fun but my dad wants to stay in a hotel and I don't think I should push it, I'm rather surprised he was willing to take my at all! If we are going to do something at the lake make sure they allow people who are not staying at the campground to go to the lake otherwise it would be a rather small battle.

Also do we need any supplies for the battle? (I'm referring to the group as a whole I can figure out what I need for me) Stuff like refill bottles and such, I have a couple dozen 50oz bottles if any one wants me to bring them, and if so how many? The battle is coming up so we better start figuring out what stuff the group needs as a whole and who is going to bring what. Sorry if this stuff was already mentioned, 10 pages of posting is too much to try and go through.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Kenneth L. Wilson Campground in Mt Tremper is the leading candidate. I'd like to have a site and details finalized by Friday. KLW appears to have the cheapest fee with the laxest rules. Up to 6 people may be in each site, with 2 tents and 2 cars. If there's only like 8 people camping, we could sneak you in, else we could reserve 2 sites next to each other. The camping fee is like $22 and I'm pretty sure it's per site per night and not per person. If not that evening, the naval battle could be in the morning before heading over to the park. If we do have a naval battle, and odds are pretty high right now, bring a gun you wouldn't miss, or a line to tether a gun to the boat.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:53 am

Just so long as no one interrupts my smores making. It's a science people.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:50 am

Lol. Everbody must bring a box a groaham crackers, chocolate, and/or marshmallows to be allowed to participate in the war.

Tgis is going to be so much fun, but it stinks, because I have like 3-4 things keeping me from going.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:55 am

Hmm, the camping really sounds like fun, maybe I can convince my dad to cancel our hotel reservations and make one at the campsite. He doesn't like staying in tents though, but the hotel was going to cost $100+ a night and he's kinda miserly so he might go for it since it’s such a low price. :P For the naval battle I will probably just use one of my bucket pumpers, they need a water source to fill up every shot and I don’t care if they get lost ether. Do they have boats there or do we have to bring our own because I only have 3 small inflatable dinghies, and they can only hold like 1 person anyway.

And I will be away at a LEGO convention this weekend so I probably will not be able to get back to any posts until Sunday night or Monday.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:24 am

DX wrote:Kenneth L. Wilson Campground in Mt Tremper is the leading candidate.
Really? Cool, I know that place! I don't think I've ever went in before, but I know my parents used to swim there. I'm not sure if they allow swimming anymore though.
scottthewaterwarrior wrote:Also do we need any supplies for the battle? (I'm referring to the group as a whole I can figure out what I need for me) Stuff like refill bottles and such, I have a couple dozen 50oz bottles if any one wants me to bring them, and if so how many? The battle is coming up so we better start figuring out what stuff the group needs as a whole and who is going to bring what. Sorry if this stuff was already mentioned, 10 pages of posting is too much to try and go through.
Well, my brother and I have accumulated at least 20 or 30 water bottles, but it wouldn't hurt to have more (I've never used water bottles in wars before, so I'm not sure how many are needed, but I imagine quite a few.), so bring as many as you can fit. My mom's making lunch for everyone, but you should definitely bring your own food. I will try to make a list of everything I'm bringing, but I'll need a little while.

Anyway, we have exactly 2 weeks before the event, so we'd better sort everything out quickly.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:04 pm

Hey everyone. I'd like to have a chat on skype, next thursday so we can talk over everything before the weekend. Let me know if this is good for you.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:08 pm

If the room is working. I think it should be fine, but DX says it is not working for him, and others may have problems as well. You should set a time as well, and some of the people are not yet members of the skype room, including seal, who says he cannot.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16 pm

My skype name is punkr0ckcowboy, name Ben Hemingway. Everyone who is planning on coming, or who wants to hear/talk about it, add me. Let me know what time next Thursday works for you. I will try to be on all day, while I'm packing, getting my guns ready, etc. Topics for discussion:
Schedule
Game Types
Night Battles?
Naval Battle(s)
Rules concerning scoring, eliminations, weapons allowed for each type of engagement, etc.
^feel free to reply with subjects you want to discuss Thursday.

Here is a loose idea of our schedule so far. I don't want to plan it out too much, but I want to have a general list of things we want to do, along with an idea on when. We can always come up with new things or change things at the event, but this it's good to have some ideas penned out.

Sat
Meet and greet
Divide into teams/give teams time to plan and prepare
1 HS game(s)
1 HK game(s)
Lunch (courtesy of Seal's mom)
Scenario Games (both individual and team based)
Team Soakfest
Dry off and Dinner
???
Night Battles for anyone interested

Sun
Naval battles
Lunch
More naval battles?
Team 1 HS and or 1 HK with Capture the flag?

We may change things up on Sunday depending on what we learn/like on Saturday. I would also like to have at least one team 1 HS/1 HK battle with only air pressure guns allowed. To my knowledge, this has never been done before at a major water war. It would give our CPS guns a rest, and certainly mix things up a bit. Feel free to add your ideas. I would like to talk about this and other things, extensively, next Thursday.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:45 pm

You may have to put a limit on that as well, because a half decent APH will easily beat most other AP guns. That being said, stock and modded guns are donsidered easier to use. Here, you have to decide whether or not to deal with the power problem that the APH presents, or let the ergonomics deal woth it for you.
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 pm

We actually did discuss that in messages. It would most likely be limited to manufactured guns only (modded is ok) to ensure the round is unique and balanced. Otherwise, a group of APH's shooting 50+ and able to dump 2L PCs in a second would mow down stock guns shooting 30 with 2x nozzles. One of my deep desires would be to see someone bust out an SS 300.
1pm - 2pm: everyone VS DX games
I am so NOT ok with that haha. Unless we're using Nerf guns for that round, cause I was utterly dominant at Apoc on Saturday. There was a regular 2 team deathmatch round where it was down to me and 2 kids vs the 9 remaining members of the other team. The kids fled through the field to the woods, but I stood to fight at the fence. 1v9 head on and I killed 5 of them before my barrel blew off and I had to tap out. They didn't even actually manage to shoot me. With those last 5 kills, I had 14 on the round. And I got 20 kills in the 2nd four team deathmatch. 2 from the rear against the stacked NH admin and friends team within the first 60 seconds. My team wanted to avoid them, but I rushed them 1v10 and only withdrew when the hopper was empty. Their whole team had to come back around to deal with 1 person haha. 4 kills next to the reed mound on pink team, that was easy pickings. There were at least 7 of them there and the ones that I didn't hit ran away. I actually feel guilty about that because I was frustrated at my team and called them amateurs while sprinting all the way from anchor to shore up our post flank. Nerfers just don't know how to cover flanks on a line formation, I was running between those positions all day. 3 kills in a row on green running away in the bushes (I remember calling those hits too, it was literally *BANG* hit, number 14 *BANG* hit, number 15 *BANG* hit, number 16 and calling out the numbers pissed them off lol) and 3 more in a row on green on a T-bone route that they never even saw coming. That was also a 3 shot series of *BANG*, hit #x). 2 kills in the open while the team was being chased. Those were meant to be covering fire as we were exiting the woods, but they actually hit stuff lol. I don't remember where the other 6 were, but they were isolated single hits. Was the most epic round in my life, totally out of breath from running the whole time. I'd be hunched over panting then rush again killing and then back to panting. Those are the moments where you feel invincible and like you can hit anything, just give me enough time to reload and to catch my damn breath haha. I still had 2 lives by the 20th kill, but the round moved to sudden death because it was close to the time limit and someone shot me out. Oh and there was one more funny one man army moment, in the last 2 team deathmatch where we were in an open field line-to-line. Except that my team didn't have a full line. The enemy was evenly spread, but my team was stacked into groups on the left and right. I was the whole center. And for some reason, it was actually working. There were only like 8 enemies in their center and I was hitting some of them with pot shots that I was trying to curve with the wind. The wind was pretty wicked, but if you shot to the right it would curve around into them, which was somewhat working. We were stuck in this formation for a while and I remember gesturing to one of the New York guys who was coming over from the left flank and I was like "yo, check out my position, this is ridiculous". And it really was funny because there must have been at least 150ft between me and EITHER side of my line. I was completely out of supporting Nerf gun range of my own teammates and the enemy was not rushing and I was totally just safe there taking all the shots, they weren't taking many back, probably because you can't hit this at 100ft with that kind of wind :p

And I realize that was a huge run-on post ego tripping haha. Everyone vs DX sparked that, I guess because I could handle it in a Nerf war, but a water war...you do realize that I've had one water fight in the past 4 years and it was just a 2 person duel? I am rusty as hell and out of shape. My legs are still so sore from hours of crouching and dodging and running at Apoc that I can't get up or down stairs without assistance from the railing rotfl. So I'd highly advise we do something else from 1 PM to 2 PM, something other than soaking poor DX and chasing him all over the field :(

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:13 am

First off, you are an am nerfer too, not some paid pro or something.

I think the point was that anyone that was able to hit you felt like they were semi-decent at water warfare. You could play a juggernaut style game, with you as the first, being the only one with CPS and homemades. That might be fun.
Beware the Purple

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:41 pm

DX wrote:I am so NOT ok with that haha. Unless we're using Nerf guns for that round, cause I was utterly dominant at Apoc on Saturday.
Saturday was actually our last day at the beach, not first, so I had things a week backwards. The only thing that prevented me from going to Apoc was that I had to drive my sister to Charlotte to pick up her new computer and architecture tools for the upcoming semester.

atvan wrote:I think the point was that anyone that was able to hit you felt like they were semi-decent at water warfare. You could play a juggernaut style game, with you as the first, being the only one with CPS and homemades. That might be fun.
Atvan, homie, you might be on to something here. Whether it is DX, me, or Seal, we could let someone use whatever gun they want and fight 1hk or respawn vs everyone else using guns that are restricted in power and range.

Additionally, or alternatively, we can play vampires/zombies where if you get hit you have to respawn as a member of the other team.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Now that I think about it, Juggernaut is a bit too swarmy. Maybe you could try a team style juggernaut game, where there are two combating teams, and also a juggernaut wreaking havoc on everybody. The problem with that is that people could end up switching teams, which might be frustrating. That, or if somebody got bored of standard fighting, they could just be the invincible juggernaut that you can't do anything about. You could also do a game where there is one juggernaut type player per team, carrying anything they want from their own arsenal. Everybody else is cqarrying AP type manufactured guns. The game is OHS, but the juggernaut is eliminated by a hit. If you kill the juggernaut, you become a new one. Then, you are more powerful, but also more suceptable. Not sure juggernaut is the best name though. I'll actually post a full detailing in it's own thread. This would be fun.

There is another gametype I saw from airsoft that could be adapted here. There is one player one each team that is designated as special, without the others noticing. Papers with teams that are otherwise blank or with a symbol, folded and put into a bag/hat, would be good for designating this. The special person can, but is not required to, defect at any point in the game. This would work best in OHK games, so for example if the person is with their partner on a scouting mission, they can eliminate them, and the team won't know. They can go back and keep doing this if they want. This is why I like the idea of eliminated people not being able to talk to their teams and such- they must procede to the waiting area imeadiately, and may not speak to anyone until they get there. The waiting area is off limits to the regular game.
Beware the Purple

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:32 pm

I asked my dad about staying at the campground and he said no, you know he hates camping when he would pass up a price like that (the hotel is over $100), but I will be at the event. For the air pressure only round I do not have an SS 300 but I might be able to break out a XP 275! We will see though, usually I like guns with a little more mobility and range then it puts out. Also all the air pressure guns that I was experienced in using broke (well got broken actually) beyond repair years ago, I have some now but I will have to practice with them before the weekend. If we play any game types with a person who can defect then expect me to say "pick again" if I'm that special person, I have a really bad honesty problem, I wouldn't betray my teammates and if they even hinted to ask if I was the special person I'd get a grin a mile wide! :D I wouldn't mind playing a few OHK elimenation games but I don't want to play too many, but enough other people seem to not like that game type I'm not to worried. OHK with responing and maybe some sort of objective or scoring system I think should take up the bulk of the battles, but I'm pretty open to what ever we end up doing.

For those who were wondering how those guns got broken here’s the story:
It was at a friends B-Day party years ago, the objective was who ever had the most players on the trampoline at the end of the time limit won. When the guns ran out of ammo they just dropped them on the trampoline and get another filled one (each team had 1 guy refilling guns the whole time). They didn’t want to step on them so they had the brilliant idea of throwing them over the trampoline net and down the hill next to it. So basically every gun I had at the time, (except my Flash Flood which I didn’t let out of my hand) got shattered into several pieces. Why I decided to have my B-Day party be a water war every year since then is beyond me.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Remember, you don't havecto defect. Anyway, they might just keep an eye on you, to keep you from doing too much damage. Or, they might eliminate you.
Beware the Purple