Report: Our first wars of the summer - And definitely a heck of a kick-off

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sat May 19, 2007 11:43 pm

Okay, as you know I bought a Monster XL off eBay. It arrived JUST in time before I left for my friends house. So I loaded up as many water guns as I could fit into my trunk (plus the CPS2000 and Monster XL in the back seat) and headed for my friend's house. Apparently, he (known around the block as Gonzo) and his older brother (codenamed Cronos) were able to dig up one more player for a 2vs2 game. We all changed into some soakable clothes, while I donned my awesome Shinobi tactical uniform, and headed to the park. :D

ROUND 1

For our first round, we basically filled every gun in the car and played until every single gun was out. Cronos (armed with CPS2000 and various other high-power cannons) and I (equipped with my trusty Flash Flood+100oz) were partnered against Gonzo (wielding dual-Tarantulas) and his buddy (with the Monster XL).

This was a pretty straightforward soakfest, so many details are hard to recall, but the most significant parts involved Cronos's tactical command; in his general strategies, I would use my superior "ninja" mobility to lay down quick supressive fire while Cronos charged up his cannons. I could esily get in, lay down a few pot-shots (or even a Chidori rush with the Flood Nozzle if I had an opening and enough momentum), and retreat before any major return-fire was incurred.

After a while, nearly every gun was completely empty, and we were now squeezing every ounce of water we could from the empty, since there were no faucets anywhere in the park. Amazingly enough, my gun was the only one that HADN'T run dry yet. Gonzo and his partner retreated to refill, while Cronos and I gathered up all the unused weapons and used whatever was left to refill our guns. Then when Gonzo and co. returned, we put together one last plan. As before, I went in to draw their fire while Cronos struck from behind. Then something weird happened: all of sudden they were all locked in a point-blank-range standoff, pointing their guns at each others heads. When that broke up, we found ourselves on 1-on-1 duels against members of the enemy team; Cronos took on his younger brother, while I finally got to do something I wanted to do for a year: go head-to-head with the legendary Monster XL!

The wielder said to me, "This will kick your ass in a second." I simply smirked, "We'll see about that..." Without a fraction of a pause, my opponent pulled the trigger, but I easily dodged both barrels and countered with a Chidori rush to the chest. At this point all guns had been expended except mine; safe to say Cronos and I took that one.

ROUND 2

Later that day we were able to scrounge up a few more of Gonzo's friends, all of which seemed to be looking forward to taking me on in particular (the ninja :cool: ), especially since Gonzo often bragged about my speed. When picking our teams, Gonzo's other friend from before had other business, leaving us with 3 people on one team and 2 on the other. I guess Gonzo received the short end, so he went with me (yay!), since he's believes I'm probably the most skilled. Cronos however got be with someone who, according to him, rivaled myself in general mobility (we'll call him Jake).

This time it was me and Gonzo together with the Flash Flood and Monster XL. We also found a third for our team, but she seemed to just go off attacking randomly, much like Jason Voorhees... kinda scary. On the other team with Cronos with his CPS2000, a juggernaut wielding the HydroBlitz (we'll call him Juggernaut), and Jake, their teams own assassin and "counter-Evangel" if you will, armed with an Overload and Blastmaster XS-660.

This time it was at dusk, so we were able to setup bases at those playground "forts" they had. While we decided on a battle plan, our extra teammate decided to go out and attack on her own. We decided to strike their base first anyway. Following Gonzo's plan of a pincer formation, I went around the back while he struck head-on. Although they had heavy firepower and were well-fortified, I was easily able to outmaneuver the oncoming high-powered streams and sneak up from under a suspended platform for a quick flood strike.

At this point I tried to Chidori up the slide, but I slid off and pretty much busted my lip... blood getting everywhere >>;;. Just slowed me down though, didn't stop me from engaging in a 1-on-1 duel with Jake, who seemed to be enjoying himself fighting a ninja. For the most part, my speed was superior and allowed me to easily outflank him, and at the same time even allowed to dodge oncoming sniper attacks from Cronos sniping me from the tower.

It seems I spent most of the game dueling with Jake. Though, it was probably the big highlight of the game: each of the two team's top assassins going head-to-head! I'm not sure what Gonzo was busy with, but I continued my duel with Jake while keeping an eye on the girl who was pinned down by Juggernaut. I saw my opportunity to blast Jug from behind, and before he had a chance to fire back, I was already well out of his range. As it began getting darker, Cronos's team decided to take the offensive and attack our base while we were retreating to reload our weapons with water bottles we brought with us. I finished refilling, and then we were overrun. Once again the "Voorhees" girl was under attack by Juggernaut, who thus left himself wide open again, this time for a fully-charged Chidori rush-and-run.

During the exit phase of the attack, I was able to pick up an old-super soaker the girl was using, and started dual-wielding, but I quickly came under pursuit by Jake, who chased me down matching my speed easily. Unable to shake him, I had to try a special technique I developed a week before, designed just for this kind of situation. I dropped the old super soaker, and when ready, quickly executed a spinning leaping, which at the 180-degree point, I unloaded my flood nozzle into his upper chest before he could even have time to react.

This fight continued for a while longer until we decided it was getting late and decided to end the game. However, the unknown girl continued to attack us and wouldn't stop shooting, so we had to get that situation taken care of (actually Gonzo and Jake took care of it with the Monster XL and Overload while we gathered up the rest of the guns). After which, I got to shake Jake's hand and congratulate him on a game well played.

Didn't plan on staying out that late, but it was totally worth it. I was able to uncover just how agile I really was, and even put an untested technique to action. Cronos also admits that he picked Jake because he's pretty much the closest rival I had, and if he had the choice, he would rather have wanted me on his team, so that makes me feel pretty good about myself. All in all, very constructive day. :)

One more note, incase you haven't realized: I personally supplied almost every gun we used today! lol

Edited By Evangel on 1179675299

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun May 20, 2007 6:18 am

Good stuff! Man, I can't wait to be blasting some friends!

In terms of supplying the majority of blasters in a local water fight, I can relate to that! Then again, I do try to encourage others to pick up blasters after they've tried a variety and it usually works for future battles.

@ Evangel: may I repost your article on iSoaker.com?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sun May 20, 2007 9:50 am

Sure, that'd be pretty cool, just make sure you catch the edits: I remembered that my friend was actually well known around the whole neighborhood by the nickname Gonzo, which he uses in Halo 2. Also, his brother calls himself Cronos

Edited By Evangel on 1179675354

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 20, 2007 12:46 pm

Nice war report! Have you been to soakermedia.net and waterwarfare.com/forums? There are a bunch of tactics articles, some related to speed, including taking the initiative. Looks like you've been controlling the battle with your speed and small-scale tactics! :)

Definitely explains the win. :cool:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun May 20, 2007 1:51 pm

Sounds like fun. I'm not that fast myself and prefer heavier weapons, as well as coordinating attacks with the team. So far we haven't gotten that much to work yet but it's progressing. We'll be having a war next week to try some things out I suppose. Yes, I also supply most of the soakers in my fights, but I'm doing my best to change that for the next war, as one of my friends' friend has an armory bigger than mine. (however, it may be difficult to work with him, I doubt he'll even come to the fight)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sun May 20, 2007 4:29 pm

I don't really mind supplying the guns. It's only because none of my friends can afford their own equipment. I talked to Cronos and it seems he REALLY wants a Shield Blaster 3000, which is funny cuz I just bought one on eBay. He's also seems to handle the CPS2000 very well, so I'm glad to supply him with that since I'm sure it'd be VERY hard for him to get one.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun May 20, 2007 7:57 pm

Battle Report reposted @ iSoaker.com.

@Evangel: you are very kind and generous for being willing to help provide blasters for your friends to use! :cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DX

Post by DX » Sun May 20, 2007 8:53 pm

Sounds like a sweet war! You might want to bring in more water for the next one, so you can extend the time you can fight in the park. My team often brings bottles in backpacks for refilling anywhere. They come in handy for drawn out engagements.

One on one duels are really fun, especially when both combatants are very skilled. Any pictures from this war?
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Mon May 21, 2007 8:03 am

@Dux: Nah, unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera. And I honestly I thought we had enough packs and weapons and bottles for everyone. Guess I was wrong, lol. We actually ran out of Aquapacks to go around. Definitely gotta buy more in the following weeks. I have three 100oz'ers and two 50oz'ers. So I guess maybe 6 of each one will do the trick. A little insane, but oh well. lmao :laugh:

I definitely gotta recap on my supplies. I thought I had enough to suit an army. But this army seems to like to dual-wield a lot (I've never seen so many people dual-wielding large-calibur CPS cannons :oo: ), and some of them even tried using multiple Aquapacks!

Maybe about 8-10 Packs total (4-5 of each size) should maybe be enough for two large teams, and maybe next week I'll invest in an Orca, plus I should have my new CPS2500 and SB3000 by the next war.

On the other hand, I also didn't bring every gun with me cuz I didn't think I'd need them. I left behind 2 more Blastmaster 660's, 2 Gremlins, another Overload and an Arctic Shock. So maybe next time I'll bring enough to go around.

Edited By Evangel on 1179753713

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Mon May 21, 2007 1:30 pm

Lol, handing out guns to people is only 2nd to none to drenching people. XD
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 21, 2007 4:08 pm

The Orca is more powerful than the guns you left at home, but I wouldn't bother getting it in your case. You guys seem to have fun pounding it out with powerful weapons, and the Orca by no means has a powerful stream. Good range yes, but not very exhilarating to use...especially with all those CPS cannons. :cool:

Exactly how big is the park? Is it very wooded, or does it have more fields and structures? Anyway, I'm waiting for the next battle report!

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Tue May 22, 2007 1:00 am

Unfortunately it's very a wide open field, hardly anywhere to hide except for maybe the two playground structures in the back. My condo complex on the other hand has virtually unlimited hiding places, so we'll try that first chance we get. Gonzo is busy next weekend so the next war will have to be the weekend after.