Should I write "The Art of Water War?

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.

Should I write "The Art of Water War?

Yes, I would read it
90%
Yes, although I wouldn't read it
No votes
No, I wouldn't read it
No votes
No, Sun Tzu is good enough for me
No votes
Don't care
10%

Total votes: 21

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:00 pm

No, I'm not trying to usurp Sun Tzu. But someone made a comment that the Tactical Theory article was like an Art of War by Duxburian, so that got me thinking, why not expand the article even more? Why not try to create the most comprehensive guide to fighting water wars ever, something of unheard of proportions, detail, and knowledge, something worth reading long after I've moved on?

Despite the huge time burden, I would be willing to write everything I know about fighting water wars. Everything. Not just a jumble of old and new articles, a new article, totally from scratch, hundreds of thousands of characters long if necessary.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:19 pm

Go for it! The water warfare world needs some seriousness in it. And if it transfers over (at all) to real warfare, even better. I'll read it anyway it's written.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:23 pm

Hell yes, I would read it. Sounds great. It get me away from /. for a while too, that place is starting to get to my head. And it'd be nice to have a compilation of a ton of tactics. It'd do a lot for the community.

:soakon2:

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:38 pm

Yes I would definetly read it!!! I would love to have a " big book of Duxbarian knowlege" :) . It would definetly do alot for the community. Also IMO the longer the better! :p It would be nice to have something to read besides "whats the best stock gun".

Edited By forestfighter7 on 1149651630
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:50 pm

I've read everything you've written (At least I think I have :;): ). And I've found every bit interesting.
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

kylemw9

Post by kylemw9 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:22 am

aslong as its in english ill read it even if it takes me awile

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:49 am

Go for it! Write up a guide! It'd be great if you'd be willing to put your thoughts down to share with the communities. At the same time, you'd not be the only one working on a large, comprehensive water warfare guide. :;):

My main suggestion, though, would be a change of title. Why follow in another's footsteps when you're wanting to forge new ground?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:34 am

go for it, all you need is time and you obviously have the knowledge. if you have the time, then it will be time well spent.
more reliable then a max-D trigger

Maddermadcat

Post by Maddermadcat » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:07 am

As long as you make it a word document or a .pdf. So I can read it on the go!
The nonsensical leader of the Snow Cats.
Now the proud owner of a flash flood with an aquapack!

urbanfighter7

Post by urbanfighter7 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:09 am

WRITE IT,WRITE IT,WRITE IT.I would read it.That would be awsome to have a book of your knowlege. :)
My Armory:
CPS 1000
CPS 1500
CPS 2500
Douchenator
APH!

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:11 pm

Seems somewhat pointless to say this again, but go for it. There's nothing you could lose, and basically everybody in Soakerdom (not too many, but it's a decent amount) knows your reputation as a water warfare tactics guru.

iSoaker, I think the name "The Art of Water War" is perfectly reasonable. People won't really care too much about the name, they definitely won't get turned off just because of the name, and plenty of people might not even make the connection.

EDIT: Woah, that's nine votes for the book (including mine), and none against it.

Edited By SilentGuy on 1149703953

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:15 pm

So it looks overwhelmingly for. The name is subject to change, as is the amount of time this might take. It could take 2 days, 2 weeks, or even 2 months. I have no idea to be honest. I don't know how much I know.

Ideas for the title so far:
The Art of Water War
Water Warfare to the Next Level
Tactical Theory and the Art of Fighting Water Wars
The Ultimate Water Warfare Guide
Everything Water Wars

And a question. Would you prefer this to include pictures, or remain text-only? Pictures help explain what's going on and really enhance the writing, but can also put a huge burden on the writer to create. Pictures for things like positions, guns, etc. are easy, but for things like tactics, they are nightmare to draw up.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:20 pm

Pictures/diagrams/images whenever possible. Fact is, many people drown when faced with nothing but text for pages and pages. Granted, adding in images adds a huge amount of work. All depends on time/energy/desire.

Let's put it this way: if you think people will understand something based just on your writing, there's no need for an image. However, if an image will vastly improve reader understanding, seriously consider it. If readers don't understand parts of the guide, the guide drops in usefulness.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:21 pm

I like the titles"Tactical Theory and the Art of Fighting Water Wars", and "The Art of Water War". As for pictures I enjoy them but if the writing is descriptive enough, it's fine. I can read through text ,even ALOT of it ( as some of your articles are **hint tactical theory** :p )fine.
:D

Edited By forestfighter7 on 1149717840
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:58 pm

I would love to see such an article. I would definately try reading it (the key word being try, I got lost in you tactical theory article :p ).
In my opinion pictures are a huge help, but they could ruin the article. Many people are drawn by the pictures (no pun intended) and might ignore much of the article. It's up to you in the end.
Also, by "everything I know", did you mean everything from tactics, to modding and homemades, to bringing the right supplies, etc.?

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:26 pm

At least everything on wars. I'm not sure about mods and homemades. They are only on topic if written about via their battle uses. And homemades have yet to play a major role in a major war between major teams. We're in the experimental stage as of now. Only a few of my homemades are fit to be used in actual combat, and I have no idea when. It is definately when, not if, but I can't write about that until it happens.

I could write plenty about modded guns, water balloons launchers, and possibly water cannons/launchers if it works this weekend. If I do, what kind? The usual 21K common stuff, or the more exotic 1512 stuff?

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:53 pm

More exotic! Pics Wold be a help too, but not you know, not 100 pictures. Unless this article really will be that long :O Oh, and I would most definately (try to) read all of your article.

Edited By supersoaker on 1149803686
:flashflood: :soaked:

hehe...
You don't want supersoaker as your enemy!

Speedbeetle06

Post by Speedbeetle06 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:20 pm

I think this article would be great. I will read it. Pics would definately be a great addition to the article. As for the title, I think its between "Water Warfare to the Next Level" and "Tactical Theory and the Art of Fighting Water Wars." If written, this article will have a significant impact on this community and, if posted on other sites, will probably have an even bigger impact. This will probably even help to revolutionize water warfare as we know it.
:soakon: :soakon2:

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:27 pm

If I do, what kind? The usual 21K common stuff, or the more exotic 1512 stuff?

I think everyone's read all about the famed 21k, but the 1512 is not as common, so I'd go for the 1512.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:54 pm

It might be difficult, since most PCSI guns exist in theory only. The only ones which have been tried so far are the 1100 [1021], 11K [10.21K], 2721, and 1-3-21 [and their inverses]. Yes, I kinda gave up on pc swapping integrations, but they will make a comeback...