Summer 2007 Splash Tournament - Tournament Advice

Discussion of past, present, and future water war events.
HeWhoIsVeryWet

Post by HeWhoIsVeryWet » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Hi guys, I need some advice. I am holding a watergun tournament this summer, or so I hope. Any ideas on how I could get such an event going, or the organization of such an event? Thanks :soakon2:
Real men use guns that shoot water!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:18 pm

The answer to your question really depends on the size and scale of the event you are hoping to achieve. If you are hoping to attract a lot of people and have it open such that members of the public can register and join, you'll need a lot more organization than if you're planning on holding a tournament at a school or between a group of extended friends.

Need a little more information about what you have in mind before more appropriate suggestions can be made.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HeWhoIsVeryWet

Post by HeWhoIsVeryWet » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:25 pm

I was hoping to have a semi-public access for this tournament. I plan on sending out flyers to groups of people that might be interested. I was thinking around ten groups of 5-10 each. There would be a tourney schedule, ie X vs. Y at _ on June 00. The would be any of the predetermined arenas that would be somewhere in Raleigh NC. Does that help? Any ideas?
Real men use guns that shoot water!

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:33 pm

Welcome aboard!

There are still some other things to consider. What are these arenas you speak of - forest, park, suburban, urban? And what game type - one hit kill, one hit kill with respawns, eliminate a target (like a piece of paper taped to a shirt), etc?

mutuhaha

Post by mutuhaha » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:35 pm

If you're thinking of a 10 groups x 5-10 people (50-100 participants), I'd first advice you to gather a group of maybe 7-15 fellow organizers who can work well as a team, if you don't already have one. 12-15 would be best, to handle:

Tips on administration:

Out-game
1. Communications to each participating group
These people may come in very handy for keeping the groups in touch with what happens at administrative councils. They're kinda like two-way radios between you and the group.

2. Logistics
For acquiring all the materials you need. If you're playing a CTF match, you need flags, if you're using a soakertag-like system, you need tags. In any case, you need first-aid materials. If he doesn't mind, you could ask him to handle the budget too, and alert you if monetary matters get out of hand.

3. Permission acquiration for battlefields (Public relations)
This guy makes sure that the tournament locations are safe, legal to use. If permission is required, ask for it from the relevant authorities. As the PR guy, he should be ready to talk to parents/guardians about the tournament and have some grasp of diplomacy.

4. First-aid
The overall I/C for first aid matters out-game. He makes sure he has first aid materials ready and an ingame medic roster if need be. Ideally, he should know some first aid himself or at least have a manual and a cool head. If no one else to help you in the tournament, you MUST (I emphasize for good reason) at least have this guy.

Split these jobs, and any others you may need among your organizing team.

In-game:
1. Marshals:
Help you to enforce rules in-game. For more on marshals, see the soaker gaming rules article that's been formulated by members of this community.

2. Medics:
Have a few of these, make sure they have a means of waterproofed communication to emergency services.

3. Overall in charge:
A guy who looks after the macro aspect of a game and has executive power to stop (due to weather, etc) to the game and other important powers. Goes without saying that he must be responsible.

Always anticipate problems, especially with such a large event. When a problem arises, don't panic, solve it as best you can.

Just a bit on admin, now you need to finalize game plan and systems.
118th Urban Corp

Adeptus Exterminatus Extremis, Noobis Exitus Proxima