It's been a long time... - Update on my water war activities

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:36 am

I haven't posted in iSoaker since late May, so I've been isolated from other hardcore water warriors for about six months now. Since my last post, I have made a few improvements to my arsenal, and I will post them here.

1. Douchenator

So, I spent more than $100 on this beast, but it was well worth it. It uses a rechargeable inflator instead of a bike pump and I use paper towels for wadding. It's about 6.5 feet long and a pain to carry, but it can fire 7 - 10 baloons in a single shot. Thanks, Duxburian for a beautiful design idea.

[IMG]http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs....MG]

2. CPS 3000 Custom

This is my pride and joy. I got the gun for free from a total n00b who considered it garbage. The weapon had the following deficiencies: 1. NO backpack reservoir (ouch!) 2. Non-working internals (pump and check valve not functional) 3. Internal bleeding (several cracks in pipes and PC casing).

Needless to say, I performed some serious surgery on it. First, I attached the backpack reservoir from my MI overload to provide a relatively small, but very easy to carry water supply. To repair the internals, I removed the 3000's pump shaft and check valve assembly and replaced it with that of an older CPS 2100 MK 2 (I left the 3000's PC and nozzle assembly in the gun). I connectted the CPS 2100 parts to the PC of the 3000 with duct tape and epoxy. Essentially, the gun's water is pumped with CPS 2100 parts from the MI reservoir to the CPS 3000 Pressure Chamber: some serous transplants. The frame of the gun had to be cut and sanded inside in order to accomodate the foreign 2100 internals. Finally, I used about 2 packs of epoxy to repair all of the leaks on the inside of the gun and lubricated the pump with a silicon-based lube.

The entire process began in June and ended in late September. I can't show pics of the internals of the gun because I had to glue the frame of the gun together (when accomodating the 2100 parts, I had to sand off some of the places where screws were to be located).
Notice the badass paint job.

3. CPS 21k Desert Combat Paint Job

Pretty cool eh?

4. Battle Report 11/10/06 (yesterday!)

Three of my friends and I decided to have a Battle Royale at about 6:00 PM yesterday. The lighting was pitch black because of the time of year, so stealth and hiding were crucial. We live in Georgia, so a water war in November isn't suicide, as it is in New England. We had some pretty good stealth tactics, and I must say that my Solid Snake skills were at their peak (one of my opponents walked right by me without noticing). I died after a well placed shot to the head from 1337 5k337 (he was camping behind a bush). There isn't much else to say about this other than the fact that my dodging and aiming are very rusty after 6 months.

5. My new Armory.

I built a shelf storage system in an empty closet in my garage one month ago. I can *almost* fit my entire armory inside.

Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS 3000 (w/ MI:Overload Backpack)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:23 pm

Nice to hear from you again FinalFantasizer! And let me be the first to say that the pictures you posted are really incredible. I'm glad to see more people taking up the initiative to make a WBL, and to perform modifications.

That CPS 3000 is truly a monster, and it just goes to show that you shouldn't judge a gun by what it looks like on the outside. Also, I'd be interested to know why your Douchenator was so expensive.

Can I get your permission to repost these pictures on Downpour?
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:56 pm

Yeah, sure, you can put the pics wherever you want, just mention my iSoaker screen name or something when you post them. The douchenator itself only cost me around $60 (including spraypaint, etc) and the 250 psi inflator cost me $40.

If I remember correctly, the prices for the parts are as follows

schrader valve (very hard to find) ~ $3
PVC ~$10
PVC endcaps and reducers ~$10
600 psi ball valve ~$5
Spray Paint ~$8
PVC Primer and Cement ~$7
Epoxy ~$8
Saw ~$9
Galvanized Nipples (lol) ~$10

Remember, I'm writing these prices from memory, so they may not be accurate.

Thanks for the compliment. though. I have a few k-mods in mind as well as a double barrel design for the WBL. More on that soon.
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:10 pm

Oh, I didn't know you were factoring in the price of the compressor as well.

All in all, those prices sound accurate, and congrats on finding such a cheap ball valve!
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:37 pm

Great job! I was mainly active at SSC then, so I don't remember you.

Indeed, those are great upgrades/paintjobs/homemade weapons, so congrats. I didn't really look at the price list, but the ball valve's price also jumped out at me.

So, how good is the battery for the inflator? Great idea, by the way. Basically, my question is whether or not the extra weight (but perhaps smaller size) makes such an item better than a portable tank. Also, how quickly does it pressurize? Thanks.

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:02 pm

The battery on the inflator is a sealed lead battery, so it takes a while to charge, but is has a pretty good lifetime. I can load the PC to about 80 psi 8 or more times without any battery problems. The real issue that I have with it is that pressurizing takes around 4 minutes (I have never timed it exactly so this number may be greater). Also consider that I have a really big PC, even for a WBL. My PC is actually longer than my barrel (the PC is 2'10" long and the barrel is 2'0" long), so it takes me forever to reload. Furthermore, I have to mention that my launcher has not seen combat. I have not actually performed any tests on it during battle.

The inflator itself comes with a psi gauge, so you know exactly how much power you get. I think that for close range combat, the launcher would actually be a great shotgun-type weapon (with only about 40 psi). At that power, a barrage of 9 or 10 baloons could outrange even a k-modded gun and easily take out an entire group.

The inflator is very light (under 10 pounds), and unlike a compressor, it has no tank. It can easily fit in a backpack.

I'm sorry that I can't provide any precise stats. Tomorrow, I will do a few tests and post the results. Are there any requests for specific stats that you want to see?
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

DX

Post by DX » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:22 pm

Nice mods and WBL! Could I use the pictures in the SM galleries?

Don't worry about reload time that much. No 1st or 2nd generation Douchenator is capable of more than 2 high-power shots in a minute. With plenty of covering fire, you could take your time loading in a real fight. You really wouldn't need more than 40 PSI for close range action. 40 is enough for about 100-150ft of level range, depending size balloon/balloons you're shooting.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks. You can post the pictures anywhere you like, just mention my screenname somewhere (I have to increase my notoriety, y'know?).

Btw, sorry about the wierd double post....it must've been a glitch on iSoaker or something.
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:03 pm

No specific stats need, I just think it's cool that you thought of using the compressor itself as opposed to the customary tanked. Definitely a great idea, the only drawback being the recharge time. But with such a large PC, even that isn't a problem. Also, congrats on "discovering" such a package--battery + compressor--that works so well, if somebody else hasn't already.

So now I'm wondering...can you set a max pressure for the inflator, as if there was an air pressure regulator but without a section that has really high stored pressure? In other words, can you make sure the pressure in the PC is set (at least a max--it would take time to maintain the pressure), allowing for very similar performances for each shot?

That, however, would be most efficient with an inflator that had lesser pressure but faster pressurization--if that's possible. Otherwise, this would be good with a large PC, a regulator, and a smaller PC.

Sorry, I'm just thinking to myself.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:06 pm

Cool pics and descriptions. Props on the creativity.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:18 pm

SilentGuy wrote:So now I'm wondering...can you set a max pressure for the inflator, as if there was an air pressure regulator but without a section that has really high stored pressure? In other words, can you make sure the pressure in the PC is set (at least a max--it would take time to maintain the pressure), allowing for very similar performances for each shot?

That, however, would be most efficient with an inflator that had lesser pressure but faster pressurization--if that's possible. Otherwise, this would be good with a large PC, a regulator, and a smaller PC.

??? Sorry, I can't really comprehend. Can you re-word this?

Why would you need an air pressure regulator? Do you mean to leave the inflator working 24/7 so that pressure is continuously built up? If that's the case, then you could simply put a check valve set at 80 of 90 psi and insert it into the PC. I don't really understand how you could use 2 PCs with this. Maybe I'm really behind on my water weapon knowledge.
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:02 pm

You've got the right idea, although I don't think it's called a check valve, as in check valve freeze. An air pressure regulator does the same thing, but you can change the pressure...it's way more expensive though. But you have the idea, and one or two of those valves would do the trick. Basically, the inflator pumps up one chamber to a high pressure for a lot of capacity, but the valve/regulator lets only some of that go to the second chamber to maintain a constant pressure.

There's a lot of potential for things that use such systems, such as multi-shot WBLs for equal power for each shots, and CAP systems like SuperCAP. But your idea of using an inflator can definitely make things better in some cases, unless you have a very high-pressure system with a very high-pressure, non-mobile air compressor.

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:45 am

Cool,
Glad to see you around and nice job on the mods and an awsome WBL. The desert camo paint job looks awsome. I really have to do some painting.
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:06 am

Hay FF.
The pics look great, and congrats on being able to fix that 3000, it looks like it was quite a challenge.
Part of our team is currently working on building an oversized Douchenator (10 feet long), and we are going to be powering it with an mini air-compressor similar to the one your using, definitely a must-have for somthing that big.

One thing I've been wondering about that idea though, how long does it take to charge up your WBL's pressure chamber?
Its just that I've heard of them being really slow, but I wanted to hear from someone using it this way.

Also, what is the diameter of the valve you are using? Its just that it looks like th one your using wouldn't be able to release that much air fast enough to achieve maximum distance.

What state are you in? I'm the general of a team in Vermont that will soon be ready to start challenging other teams.
I'm glad to see another lost water-warrior returning to the forums, so welcome back. :)
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:52 am

That valve looks plenty big enough, it's larger than mine. A valve as small as 1" works fine enough. A long pc would take a while [over a minute, probably over 2 minutes] to charge, regardless of how you do it. A compressor powered small pc, however, would be quick.

You're going to challenge other teams, eh? Bring it on! :laugh: Waterbridge bores me, I need a real opponent. :p This time next year, I'll be in Southern New England, so we could do a North/South thing. Even if I can't form a new team, I'll still be available to fight. One person could take on 4 and after 3 hours at least tie the game, as I proved last year.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:34 pm

Whats this about "Form a new team"?
Are you going to be permanently living in New-England? or is it just a temporary thing?

Our team is not quite yet ready for challenging, like I said in my above post: "That will soon be ready to start challenging other teams."
I would like to strengthen my team (Both mentally and physically), some more before having a "real" battle.
We are working hard this winter to gain some better equipment and next spring I will be holding training meetings as often as we can.
I think it will be quite a while before I'm up to you're level tactically (Yes, I can be humble when the situation calls for it :p .), but in a half-year from now, then maybe.

If you would be living near enough to have regular wars with, then I would certainly offer my team as a replacement for the old and boring Water-B.

-B.D.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:00 pm

Next year I'll be a freshman in college, and all my applications are to colleges in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island so far. So I'll need to try and make a new team.

I've found that the best way to train is to fight for real. Give pointers along the way and explain short tactics right before you do them, depending on what they are. For example, I always explain ambush positions, attack timing, and a few scenarios for movement before going into an ambush formation. I also explain tap shots while directly under fire. People learn faster when under some kind of pressure, and fix mistakes faster when those mistakes could cost points in a ranked war.

I also mix vets and first timers in formations and along the line. Many of the RM's new members get with it after a single battle. Waterbridge also does business this way, so the end result is two teams without most of the mistakes you'd normally find, such as running out of pressure, taking a full shot, wandering too far from the group, walking too close to a reed fringe, or crossing a bridge without checking for trolls. Most of our mistakes are tactical or judgment based, like springing an ambush too soon, pursuing too slowly, pincering while leaving an escape route open, being drawn off a mirror, or otherwise misreading the enemy's next move.

Wow, I just totally hijacked the thread. So, back to FinalFantasizer's armory, I'd love to see the range and timed load time for the pc of the WBL. He also says he lives in Georgia, so that kind of kills any plans to battle with him. :p

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:50 pm

@FinalFantasizer: good to see you and looks like you've been having fun building, modding, and soakin'! Great stuff!

I've had minimal 'net access over the past couple of days so I haven't been posting as regularly as I normally do. Hopefully will be more 'normal' in a few more days. Upgrading some connections on my end.

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:51 pm

Ya, that does seem to be a good system. Most of my training exercises so far have gone like this:
People arrive.
Everybody loads up/arms themselves.
A short walk to the battle-ground.
A few discussions about tactics and stuff, basically like what you described above.
I split the team into two squads and we have several practice battles.
We meet together at one of the bases and discuss the battle, how to improve, plans for the next meeting etc.
And now, the final touch.
A bonfire with hot-dogs and s'mores, during which we continue discussions.
People pack-up and leave.
I fall into my bed and sleep like the dead (Hay, that rimes :p).

-B.D.

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:23 pm

The ball valve is 1.25 inches wide. Yea, I don't think its able to take full advantage of the air I have stored in there.I still haven't had time to come up with precise stats on the amout of time it takes me to pressureize it. Hopefully, I'll be able to test the inflator at some point in the near future.

@Water wolf: I live in Georgia, soooo I'm geographically isolated from most of the water war community. I've been trying, without success, to get some hardcore wars started in my area for the past few months. I do know a few people who like water wars, but none who mod their guns or build homemades.

peace out.

Edited By FinalFantasizer on 1163384744
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood