Advice for a Novice - engaging in his first serious water war

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
waterwars

Post by waterwars » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:53 pm

In the spring my school runs an event called water wars every weekend. Essentially teams of four are formed and compete tournament style for a cash prize.

One round runs each weekend, and each team faces off with another team for the whole weekend, from when school lets out on Friday, to when the first class starts on Monday. For that whole period of time everything and everyone are fair game for a soaking. We play one hit and you're out, and the goal is to get more people out than your team loses.

Since this game runs non-stop, legends from past years tell of water balloon lobs through sun roofs, sneaking into other people's houses while they're sleeping, and water fights in the middle of shopping malls.

I need recommendations for a few water guns to purchase along with where the best places to buy them are.
Range and concealability are the most important characteristics. Drenching the opponent is not important, because a single hit is enough, but is always a plus.

From browsing this site though, it seems as if most of the best guns, the CPS series, and the Max-D series are no longer in production. Any advice on where to buy them?

Please help me out with your recommendations and advice.

Thanks in advance.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:05 pm

Current store-available stock models that I'd recommend for your purposes include the Super Soaker MI: Flash Flood, Water Warriors Piranha, Super Soaker MI: Defender, and Water Warriors Blazer. Those are probably easier to acquire, aren't too bulky, and easy to use. The Super Soaker MI: Overload, with backpack attachment off, isn't a bad choice, either, but you'd be spending a little more since you need to buy the blaster plus the backpack. Most of the current Super Soakers use Max-D triggers. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to do range testing yet.

However, for harder, farther hitting soakers such as true 'CPS-class' soakers, the only real place to shop for those are on eBay since they are no longer being made. Most CPS soakers, though, are rather large and much harder to conceal.

Smaller soakers like XP240s or XP220s (sometimes still around) are decent, but less powered.

Hope that helps a bit. That water war sounds like a lot of fun! BTW, welcome to the board!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

waterwars

Post by waterwars » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:45 pm

Where do you usually go to buy?

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:12 am

Me, I usually shop in stores like Toys'R'Us, Walmart, and Zellers (up here in Canada) as well as Big-K, Target, and KB-Toys when I'm visiting the US. I've also made the odd purhase from eBay as well, but not usually, and typically only for older-model soakers that I don't have.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:27 pm

Welcome to iSoaker, waterwars, we'll assist you in every way possible.

For me, I would back up isoaker_com and get a WW Blazer. If a fight is being carried out many different places, however, such as malls, parking lots, etc, you might want to consider a good all-around handgun weapon. Unfortunately, for those blasted manufacturers, such a weapon does not exist now. The closest options are a Super Soaker Triple Shot, and a Water Warriors Stinger.

However, if you are able to get you hand on an antique, a XP-240, Storm 610e, Storm 500, and Max-D 3000 would work excellent for this role.
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:22 pm

Yo. Welcome aboard.

This probably won't come as a surprise to anyone, but I'm going to recommend the Pirahna. A short "assault soaker" with decent range, soaking and staying power. Moderately concealable too, if you've got a long enough shirt or coat.

Like XP220Warrior said, you're gonna want a nice concealable handgun. I'm not familiar with Buzz Bee Toys line of pistol sized soakers, but if you can find a Storm 750 online, grab it! Shopko and Kmart usually stock Storm soakers as well, see if you can't find something you like there.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:35 pm

Yeah, I'm small arms expert around here. I know what's good and how to use 'em. :laugh:
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

Dr. D

Post by Dr. D » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:02 pm

Your school has a yearly water wars tournament where you can win cash? God I need to transfer.....

Anyway, I'd suggest either Flash Flood or Blazer. The two best guns in years...
n00b friend: "Nice SP 270!"
Me: "Uhh, it's
XP."
n00b friend: "Oh yeah! Nice SP 270 XP!"

Current Official USF Armory: Monster X, CPS 4100, CPS 2500 (shotgun), CPS 2100 (x3), CPS 1500, CPS 1200 (x3), CPS 1000, MI Flash Flood (x3) STE Flash Flood (x2) WW Orca

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:29 pm

if u want a good all around basic light blaster, go for the new defender (any toy store should have it), if you want something bigger and more powerful go for the blaser. if you want to scare the.......... out of your foes, buy a flash flood and let one shot go, that should get anyone's attention. if you dont have time restraints, go read up more in the reviews and on this board and yes, the best blasters are only sold on eBay.

:flashflood:
more reliable then a max-D trigger

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:07 pm

Just go on Amazon and get the new Blazer. The Flash Flood's flash flood nozzle is overrated. Sure, it will make people that don't know crap about soakers flinch a little, but then you have to pump. :p The Blazer is better. It has a selection of nozzles, better range, well, just about better all around.

Soaker Master

Post by Soaker Master » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:10 pm

A Flash Flood would be a good choice or basically almost any Super Soaker watergun that you can find on the store shelves this year or last would be a pretty good choice for this kind of war. :;):

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:28 pm

My vote is on the FF. And don't knock the riot nozzle. I don't know if it's just a fluke with mine, or if I wasn't pumping enough on the main stream, but my riot blast went almost as far as the main one. Just think ahead before (like Crashdummy said) you go emptying your entire firing chamber. Make it worth it. The size isn't terrible, if you're thinking about concealing it, (I suggest an open button-down shirt or a windbreaker), just don't think that you're going to stand up to more than a few seconds worth of visual scrutiny, but if you do it right, all you need is to come around a corner near your victim. You'll have about enough time to say Hi to throw them off, and then you can whip it out and blast them. Plus, if you can get an aquapack for it, too, you can add an extra 50oz to your tank when you don't need to hide anything. :cool:
Nintendo: Ha, we have Sonic!
Microsoft: Yeah, but we got Rare.
Nintendo: .................................................................****!!

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:08 pm

So what's the deal with the screen on the Flash Flood? I hear that if you remove it you get an added 10 feet to your range. Is this true, and which (or both) screens do you remove?
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:13 pm

Similarly, a Pirahna could be rigged with a nice strap system (see the opening robbery and bank robbery sequences of heat) to conceal it by your side. See if you can find some examples of the bungie-cord system from Heat online. Its either AR15.com or The Firing Line that has a Heat thread where these are visible. If De Niro can conceal a CAR15 under a sportcoat, you should have no problem with the significantly shorter Pirahna.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Yeah, the Pirahna is a very good gun. My two brothers and sister each have one that I gave them, but unfortunately they won't let me borrow one for just one fight. Adrian, which year's version do you have?
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:02 pm

Lessee here...Used it in Water War 5, so...gotta be two or three years ago. Must've been the first year ("mark") that was out.

Adrian