I got a real dilemma here

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Evangel

I got a real dilemma here

Post by Evangel » Sat May 10, 2008 7:33 pm

I just got pounded in our water war today. Main problem was I was simply way too weak from not eating and having to rush things without proper warmup, so I was way out of it today. But as we fought I did learn something: my weight limit is MUCH lower than I thought. Even the 50oz Aqua Pack seems to weigh me down too much, and most of my maneuvers require a good deal of mobility, same with Sparrow who also agrees.

Problem is, obviously, without an Aqua Pack, my combat duration is extremely short. What can I do about this? Perhaps consider a new main weapon to replace the Flash Flood? I noticed that once my Aqua Pack was empty, my agility was easily within normal parameters. But can just a FF be practical? I'm really having trouble with this. :soaked:

emperor_james

Re: I got a real dilemma here

Post by emperor_james » Sat May 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Time to start working out?
ownage

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Sun May 11, 2008 6:11 am

Evangel wrote:I just got pounded in our water war today. Main problem was I was simply way too weak from not eating and having to rush things without proper warmup, so I was way out of it today. But as we fought I did learn something: my weight limit is MUCH lower than I thought. Even the 50oz Aqua Pack seems to weigh me down too much, and most of my maneuvers require a good deal of mobility, same with Sparrow who also agrees.

Problem is, obviously, without an Aqua Pack, my combat duration is extremely short. What can I do about this? Perhaps consider a new main weapon to replace the Flash Flood? I noticed that once my Aqua Pack was empty, my agility was easily within normal parameters. But can just a FF be practical? I'm really having trouble with this. :soaked:
How old are you?

Because I'm a quite scrawny 14 year old, and I can easily wield a Flash Flood with a 100 oz. pack and I'm still very agile. Heck, I can easily wield a CPS 2000 without too many problems.

-Gold
HydroHawks Command CenterNEW REPORT! APARTMENT MASSACRE!

"Missing isn't the worst part. The retaliation is." -Commander Gold Hawk

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." (Be strong, brave the water.) -Motto Of the HydroHawks

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun May 11, 2008 7:20 am

I think relative scales of what some consider agile moves versus what another may consider agile moves is coming to light here.

...and while emperor_james stated it rather briefly, I believe his intent is correct. To get more comfortable with a blaster but not wishing to give up its power or payload probably just means you need to use it more to build up your muscles such that they can still move quickly and fluidly even with the extra weight. When training, always train with a full soaker, particularly for general movement and running exercises. You may get creamed in the next few battles as you build strength, but in the long run, you'll develop greater strength and agility as your body gets accustomed to moving with the weight. On top of that, it'll also mean that as the blaster gets lighter when it empties, your speed and agility can even increase.

No dilemma here; you just need more practice. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sun May 11, 2008 7:52 am

Unfortunately, there's no more time for training. All my schoolwork drained any time I had for training. Kinda figured that would happen. And now that we're active it would take way too long to get in the shape I need to be in. We can't afford anymore screw-ups like this, especially with spectators watching, which they were. Not a pretty sight to see a ninja that can barely move.

Besides, I've been working out as much as I could. If that's not enough, I doubt it ever will be.

This happened in the last battle too. I was too sluggish and it was only after I dropped my Aqua Pack that I started cleaning house with my speed and agility.

@Gold Hawk: I'm 21, so I'm VERY VERY weak for my age. I thought maybe speed was my main strong point, but I guess I was wrong.

Seems that all the forces in the universe are telling me to just give this all up... I'm weak as hell, my teammates don't cooperate whatsoever, how can I be competitive like this? Perhaps I'll just pull out and stick with things I'm naturally good at, even though I thought this was one of them. Yeah, I'll just stick with Armored Core 4. Boy was I an idiot to think I had ANY kind of physical talents.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun May 11, 2008 10:00 am

Dude theres always ways you can improve your athleticism. Maybe hit the weight room and try and bulk up. Probly the best thing for speed and agility would be to do a lot of windsprints. MAybe try to do them with all your gear on.
ownage

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sun May 11, 2008 1:14 pm

I do all of that, I've even ran laps with MXLs on my shoulders; doesn't help me. I've been weak since I was your age and younger. The point of these wars is to see how far I've come since that age, and from the looks of it, not very far at all. In any case, it's too late now.

It's not even speed that's the biggest problem; it's my endurance. I can maybe run for 30 seconds before I'm completely out of breath, usually even less than that.

Also, for some people it's genetically impossible to build strong bodies. Somehow I have a feeling I'm in there somewhere. Guess it's true: nerds really DON'T have any physical talent. I thought being skinny would mean I was faster, but it looks like I was dead wrong on that count. Being skinny just means my legs are too weak to even move what little body weight I have.

Also, I shouldn't be doing ANYTHING intense during the week because of a bad fracture in my shin.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon May 12, 2008 6:54 am

If you've got a fracture on your shin, you should definitely avoid putting stress on it until it heals. Last thing you'd want to to turn a fracture into a break, then be really out of commission. That being the case, this does not necessarily mean the end to your warring days this summer. What it does mean is that you should consider looking into different tactics or strategies that do not rely as heavily on quick movement or agility and, instead, rely on things such as stealth, better positioning, etc. Such tactics may not reflect the way you are used to playing, but trying out new strategies can often be very rewarding.

In the end, it's still about having fun and doing what is fun for you.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Tue May 13, 2008 2:21 pm

I really don't have a choice here. It's all or nothing at this point, I have no more time to squander.

Anyway, if I'm gonna be ready for next week, I'll have to take my training up a notch. I've brought out my leg weights and I'm running fully loaded plus about 5 pounds on each leg. I'll practice all my special techniques and maneuvers in this condition.

After just one day of my regular training routine with this resistance, I already feel faster and lighter than ever after removing the weights. After a week of this, hopefully I'll be as fast and agile as I need to be, and nothing, especially not some stupid fracture, is gonna keep me from achieving my dream. I'll fight with a full breakage if that's what it takes.

DX

Post by DX » Tue May 13, 2008 2:26 pm

Alright, for starters...

You are not as weak as me. I would bet a 2000 on that. My upper body strength does not exist at 5'9" 125. I am skinny, weak, and light enough that even you could probably throw me. And yet, I sprint for my collegiate track team. In addition to the 55, 100, and 200, next year I'll have a permanent spot on the 4x100, 4x200, and 4x400.

Basically, since I sense that your body works quite similar to mine, I think that you need to un-couple the correlation between strength and speed/agility. You need to find an alternate source that can drive your natural ability. In my case, I use energy to supplement what I lack in strength [at least for water wars]. Energy makes me powerful, when I am flowing with it there is no more dangerous person on the field of battle. It is difficult to defend against and virtually impossible to hit a player who is running with a Warriors' High.

This is a second level of energy. The first is the normal everyday variant of energy, like adrenaline. It is short-lived, and normal energy only pumps you up so far. A Warriors' High can last quite a while and you can push your limits more than normally possible. You are more alert, looser, faster, and have blazing reaction time. However, it needs two things: a source, and a trigger. In track, I run my best times when I've become tired, but then something triggers an explosion of energy resulting in a strong late push, an effect most noticed in the 400.

In water wars, the easiest way to trigger a Warriors' High is to do something that fires up your reflexes. Sometimes I play fast songs on the piano or play a card game like Egyptian Ratscrew before a war. These activities get my fingers going and that effect spreads through the whole body.

Now as far as backpacks go, I am able to wear a normal one with some limited supplies in it. But that's all. I don't have the upper body strength to support a water pack and maintain my usual level of agility. I am most effective with a compact, mid-size gun with long range, fast stream speed, and good capacity, such as a 12K. The biggest thing I'd field would be a 2500 or 2000. They normally would have a negative impact on my ability to move, but I am very comfortable with using a 2500, having fielded them in many wars over the years. However, all I need is a 12K. The capacity lasts more than half the battle sometimes. I don't play soakfests so I tap-pump 95% of the time.

I sprinted in the State Sectional last year on a bad stress fracture, and again this year in the NESCAC Championship on a milder one. It's a risk, but if I came away fine after the two rather destructive races [nothing is worse than the 100 for something like that], fighting a water war is not going to kill ya.

If you do train, go for sprinters' endurance as opposed to distance endurance, unless you fight in a big area. In Ridgewood, we needed both. I had plenty of huffing and puffing moments, but if I survived wars when the total mileage was 12-25, you can too. In some cases, you simply have to reserve your best speed for when you really need it.

But in any case, don't just give up on it, that's silly. If you run into a problem, invent a solution, never just give up.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers