I think I got busted again

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Evangel

I think I got busted again

Post by Evangel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:11 am

Last year someone called the police on me for wearing a mask.

Just yesterday, when I decided to do some actual live-fire exercises on the first real warm enough day to do so, what did I see after about an hour? A squad car patrolling the complex. I wasn't even dressed suspiciously at all, just my casual jogging clothes and my Flash Flood. So I'm assuming someone called the cops on me just for HAVING a water gun. >_<;

I think I was able to avoid it by taking cover behind a snow pile, but are the people in my neighborhood really so laid-back that they think a lone guy doing something out of the ordinary with high-power water gun is out to cause nothing but trouble? O_o;

isoaker

Re: I think I got busted again

Post by isoaker » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:38 am

Out of curiousity, is your Flash Flood painted or still in its stock colours?

While part of me understands some paranoia about people running around in masks, one would think/hope that a water blaster looks sufficiently distinct enough not to cause fear (well, apart from the fear of getting soaked :goofy: ). Moreover, unless water blasters are banned in your area, you should not need to take cover or do anything if you see some police car. If possible, it'd be better to educate local law enforcement than hide from them.

Of course, if you fear that your local police would likely shoot first with live ammo and ask questions later, then I'd understand your desire to take cover. But then again, if that were the case, you may consider looking for alternative locations in which to train.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:46 am

First, no it wasn't painted over. Second, I think having their kids get soaked IS what they fear, for some reason. Even though we have regulations regarding attacking unarmed civilians.

In any case, I hid because I didn't feel like getting involved with police for the second time for this. If the officer saw me and called me over, then I'd explain the situation, which I'm sure is an understandable one. But last thing I want is for them to tell me I'm not allowed to use water guns period, especially when this is one of our most important battle locations.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 am

Well, if you or any of your friends had soaked another without permission or even threatened another, that is technically an assault. However, if that has never happened, I wouldn't consider your area laid-back; I'd consider it much too paranoid. Moreover, if the police are willing to come just to prevent a soaking from going on, something is really wrong with that area. In areas where I've battled in the past, I've even had police officers wanting to take part in the soaking, though laughing and politely excusing themselves as they were "on-duty". Granted, these have been in areas such as parks, beaches, and neighborhoods already well known to have water fights in the past.

Now, unless there is a particular law in effect, there should be no legal grounds to prevent you from using a water gun with your friends so long as none are harassing or soaking others. Of course, for battles, I hope you guys are sticking to definite public or willing private properties and not straying onto land owned by others who have not given their permission. If ever, also try looking up local laws in your area to see what laws may be used to limit or prohibit water gun use. I know in some places like New York, there are strict laws regarding real-gun-like replicas and toy guys in general. Not sure about your area.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:31 am

Well I doubt there's anything wrong with water guns in general, because I brought my entire arsenal to the pool one day and impressed a few people, most else didn't really care much. On a similar note, one of my neighbors is actually pretty decent; he likes my collection and has even seen me in my ninja gear. So there are SOME pretty normal people around here, it's the "non-normal" ones I'm really concerned with.

I haven't attacked anybody... yet. The only time we'd consider attacking people we don't know is if they had water guns too, or if they intentionally and actively interfered with normal activity (we've had such types around when we were kids, who would claim they "weren't allowed to get wet" but would constantly attempt to tamper with our equipment or otherwise sabotage our games), and even then we have a separate "casual" cell for launching indiscriminate attacks. Otherwise, if our aim is to attract attention (which it will be in this case), we may move the fight closer to a group of people, but only fire on our designated opponents or confirmed hostiles.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Alot of people see kids and just assume theyre up to no good. On the other hand, a guy dressed up in a ninja outfit with a mask holding something somewhat gunlike, even if it is a water gun, and kind of sneaking around looks REALLY sketchy. If someone thought you were suspicious without it, theyll probly freak out if they see you with your ninja suit on.
ownage

huiytan

Post by huiytan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:46 am

Last edited by huiytan on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:29 pm

The squad car was probably not for you. It was likely just doing patrols. AFAIK, there's no place in America that bans kids from having waterguns, products that they can freely buy at any major retailer, on their own property. Don't worry about it.

That said, don't go out and don ye olde ghille suit. That'll scare people, and there's no use scaring people for no reason. Just be reasonable about it.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:36 pm

At a war last summer (where my team was vsing evangel's), we also saw some police squads around, who never bothered me nor my team, but I believe they stopped to talk to evangel's team.

From this, and from the fact that the parks around my area aren't much good for water warfare, I'm sticking to backyard-to-backyard style warfare. Public places suck around our area; there's always disc golfers, which are nothing compared to the paranoid hicks around. Worst the neighbors can do is complain about noise, though they're more likely to complain about our metal band meeting every week. (which has gone on for a year with no trouble)

Adrian, I think his ninja suit (w/ mask) would scare more people than a ghillie suit lol.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat