A Random but Important Discovery

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
DX

Post by DX » Sun May 27, 2007 12:32 pm

Feelings are not the only things which can be passed among water war players like feelings. This is not really a new discovery, but in a way it is. I've known for quite a while that the RM can turn new members into veterans in literally minutes, ie the "veteran effect". However, I've never had a solid explanation for that, as we conduct no training. Now I have that explanation - experience itself can be passed like a feeling such as nervousness, arrogance, aggression, etc.

While in the presence of those with veteran experience, a brand new player may begin to acquire veteran qualities totally naturally, as if that player is able to draw them in right through the air. In as little as 5 minutes, a guy you just recruited 10 minutes ago could develop into an extremely successful and dangerous fighter, as if they've been doing this from the beginning.

If experience can be propagated across a team, then other things must work as well. Speed can be passed this way, to a point. In a fast-action engagement, and I mean a really fast-action engagement, I've noticed that a usually slow player may speed up significantly. This happened in both wars so far this season. Improved RM speed lifted everyone up with it.

I'm trying to think of what other non-feelings can be passed like feelings. There HAVE to be more! Obviously I am very excited by this realization, though I don't know the full extent to which it might be taken.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Sun May 27, 2007 3:07 pm

Iv'e experienced this sort of thing before too. Goofy immature kids can be transformed by a veteran warrior, of course immaturity can be passed along too.
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

Leviathan

Post by Leviathan » Sun May 27, 2007 11:36 pm

What about stealth? A stealthy unit can silence one random warrior.
Heavy artillery + high ground = an easy battle.
Why else would they call me Leviathan?
"Artillery batteries, prepare to fire. XLs, dual aquastorm. Balloons, quick burst, short range. Battery commanders, FIRE AT WILL!"

mutuhaha

Post by mutuhaha » Mon May 28, 2007 1:45 am

I suppose it depends on the openness of the new guy. If the new member is willing to learn, then he would naturally observe the behaviour/tone of the veteran members and emulate it, producing the effect you have observed.

Conversely, put two veterans or a new but un-open player together, and the effect may not manifest itself. Naturally two experienced players would have different experiences and ideas firmly entrenched, and thus would be harder to convert into uniformity, than say an inexperienced greenhorn. Old dogs learn new tricks slower. Likewise there is always the case of the obstinate newbie who would think that he's got it all already. Such people learn harder without a change in attitude.
118th Urban Corp

Adeptus Exterminatus Extremis, Noobis Exitus Proxima

DX

Post by DX » Mon May 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Stealth definitely works, though it works best when under pressure. Some of my new guys made a lot of noise walking over leaves, and tried to be a bit more quiet. Didn't work that well. However, when we sighted the enemy down the path, you could hear a pin drop when those same guys moved to battle positions! :goofy:

Openness to learn is a major factor. We've had plenty of guys come in thinking they're the 1337est water warriors ever. However, I don't have to change attitudes like that - hardcore warfare does that naturally. Complaints about what appear to be conservative moves on my part are somewhat common. These members do quickly learn why I refuse to attack in certain situations, or why I sometimes show weakness when I'm strong. The enemy is lulled into thinking I have no aggression, and that's when I display what the RM is truly capable of in terms of aggression. After a few engagements, new members understand that offensive power is something to be skillfully wielded, not something to use every time they see an enemy. :p

As for the two vets, it depends on who they are and how their team is run. More experience should result in an even greater willingness to try new ideas. Locking ones' self into a certain set of ideas is very dangerous, for if the enemy changes, those ideas don't work. Waterbridge made that mistake when they made characterizations of the RM in 2004 and held onto them, even today still. The 2007 RM could not fight more differently than the 2004 RM. The exception to holding a set of ideas being bad is a conformity to non-conformity. There's nothing bad about locking into change.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers