Tactical Theory: The Ultimate Article

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:15 pm

That section is the result of watching trends in the community. Plus, next year I lose my team. So where's the positivity supposed to come from?

Simple... positivity is to come from hope.

Like I said, I understand where your concerns and negativity come from, but looking at your post as a whole, you did a great job describing interesting tactics and scenarios that motivate others to try, then end on a downturn. To me, that seems somewhat counter-productive. I suppose one of the hardest things is to try to be inspiring when oneself is having doubts. I can definitely say that from experience. However, IMO, if one really wants to keep something going, one must look beyond current shortcomings and try to get others to build on what remains in order to create a better future. Of course, this is much easier said than done. You tried to offer some inspirational words at the end, but I just feel that they don't quite offset the rest of the last section of the post. 'tis how I feel about it, anyhow.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DX

Post by DX » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:03 pm

Hope is a bad emotion, right up there with guilt. :p

I had been holding all that back for at least 8 months, probably longer. So it came out worse-sounding than things really are. The real "book" will include the future of tactics in the future, although it won't be as rant-ish.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:02 pm

I hope that Isoakers revival of The Fearless Rogues will help to steady the decline and bring water-wars back into a steady rise to power.
I've been working mostly on building up my own team right now, but next year I'm planning to try and advertise the true meaning of water-warfare at public gatherings and such. If all goes well, in a few years there could be several new teams in New-England. Even though they may be my enemies on the field of battle, I intend to help these teams to grow and flourish.

In more good news, I've revived BlueMage, from his long slumber and he will be joining my team next spring.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:00 pm

While the Rogues Group might not be bad, it will not necessarily turn Soakerdom around. Besides, you are right in that we are getting new members along with losing the old--that's part of the aging process. The problem is that the Rogues Group draws people directly from whoever is already at Soakerdom, not whoever is not yet interested in water wars.

Congratulations on doing your part to stimulate soaker interest and activity, though.

WaterNapoleon

Post by WaterNapoleon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:04 pm

I speed-read it. It was awesome. It describes Tactical Theory pretty well in Water Fighting.
<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Grand General Napoleon out.</span>

DX

Post by DX » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:47 pm

A lot of the article has fallen out of date. The addition of fighting style and caliber voids pretty much all of it. Much of the advice was geared towards Hardcore teams in the Progressive Era, since that's where I was when I wrote it. 47 more versions of that would have to be written in order for the summary to properly represent Tactical Theory.

Which brings me to my own personal crisis. I can't physically write 48 different versions of full Tactical Theory. At the rate of one full article a week, it would take over 80 years. And at the unreasonable rate of one full article per day, it would still take many years. I'm afraid I've opened a huge pandora's box. A good one, but a pandora's box nonetheless. What started as maybe a 15 page book idea grew to 50, then 100, then 300, and now thousands. What was on the level of a child's picture book is now on the level of a full-blown encyclopedia.

If I don't write 48 full versions, it won't be truly representative of the full potential of the Theory, but if I do, I'll surely go insane. :laugh:

Help?
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

WaterNapoleon

Post by WaterNapoleon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:08 pm

What if you made this into a wiki on a site like editthis.info ? Then people around the world could help you.
<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Grand General Napoleon out.</span>

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:13 pm

When I joined the Rogue Group, my impression was that that was its purpose, to try and get more people interested in the game, as-well as assisting in all the other aspects online.

-B.D.

WaterNapoleon

Post by WaterNapoleon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:33 pm

DX

Post by DX » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:57 pm

How did rogue group stuff end up in the Tactical Theory preview topic? :p

I will put Tactical Theory on a wiki eventually, but I don't want to leave something 1% finished up there [That's how far along I am].

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Wow, if the rest of the stuff is just as good, and covers all of the remaining topics, then I might regulate this as a "Must read" for any of my commanding staff and strongly suggest this for my other troops to read as-well.

-B.D.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:38 pm

Tactical Theory is meant to be the ultimate authority on fighting wars. No other guide or article sets will even come close to the massive scope, universal compatability, and powerful reasoning base of the Theory. While no one is forced to observe the Theory, you're going to be missing out on a LOT if you don't. :p It is, IMHO, the most revolutionary concept ever in water warfare.

To prove that it works, take our two local teams, both of common fighting style and caliber: The Ridgewood Militia is a Tactical Theory team. The Ridgewood Militia has gone undefeated since August 2005. Waterbridge is not a Tactical Theory team. Waterbridge has not won a war since August 2005. Furthermore, in 2004, before the Theory, both teams had even wins and losses. The Ridgewood Militia had a massive firepower advantage. Today, that tech margin is much smaller. And finally, personally, I was killed a lot in 2004 and 2005. I used better guns in 2004 and 2005 than I do now, yet I've only been killed once in the past 7 wars!