Hypothetical Way to Stop a Stream

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Rook

Post by Rook » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:49 pm

I had an idea as to how to block a stream without a shield, or hiding behind something.

Now don't blame me if you get wet... But here's my idea: you would hit the opponent's stream with a stream of your own, deflecting it Dragon Ball Z style.

:cps2000: :cps2500:

You'd need a rather large stream to hit it with, and it's probably not very practical. If you're backed into a corner it could be your only option.

Would this even work?
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:53 pm

This would be impressive, but extremely difficult to do with a stream. I've seen riot-blasts stop a stream cold in it's tracks, but for a stream to do it you would have to have not only perfect aim, but the perfect angle as well.

Dodging or using a shield are much better options in my opinion.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:27 pm

Perhaps if you knew where the stream was going and you shot it, and neither stream moved, then it would work. Otherwise, though, you've still got a problem; both streams are going to move a bit. There's no possible way to block the stream; even if you're aim was perfect, the other person would have to hold the stream in the right place. Perhaps the stream would break up for a moment when hit, but not for long.

Rook

Post by Rook » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:31 pm

That's pretty much what I had in mind, Ben, a riot blast or a really big stream, like around 20x.

Again, it's really more of a last resort, but you could really do it anywhere. Say you have a 2x stream coming at you, and you let loosa a riot blast of 20x. The stream would be wiped out and the opponent would be drenched.

@SilentGuy: You wouldn't even have to block it, just deflect it.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:28 pm

The idea works in theory and under rather controlled conditions. The problem here is maintaining aim on an incoming stream. When someone is firing at you, they usually aren't still or do they hold their blaster in a fixed position when firing. To block an incoming stream by counter-firing, you'd need not only to hit a very small, incoming target (i.e. the incoming stream), you'd also need to compensate for motion. A larger riot-blast would reduce the amount of motion you'd need since it'd cover a larger area. Sadly, riot-blasts are unlikely to last as long as a typical stream-shot (think about how much water you'd be blasting if trying to riot-blast away a 2x stream with a 20x riot-blast).

I'd recommend dodge or avoiding getting backed into corners over trying to deflect a shot with a counter shot in this case. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:34 pm

I completely agree with iSoaker.com, and the aim factor is what I was talking about--plus the fact that their stream is moving. As you [Rook] said, it isn't even "blocking"--you're breaking up their stream, but yours will do the same. You waste your entire PC (and possibly with a complete miss) and they're still shooting at you.

Rook

Post by Rook » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:50 pm

Yeah, you guys are right. In a situation like that, it would probably be easier to use your gun as a shield.

Oh, well. It's an interesting idea, at least.

Edited By Rook on 1156110941

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:36 am

I personally think it's a waste of water and pressure and it definately requires a lot of skills with a stream. I'd prefer traditional dodging and shielding.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:31 pm

Shielding is perhaps even worse--because everybody thinks its better. All a shield (especially a soaker) will do is break up the stream in your face so your entire body can be sprayed; and no matter what shield you use, it's very difficult to block for the whole duration of shot, as with using a stream to deflect. Plus, a separate shield will reduce your ability to move and dodge and to pump and fire.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:36 pm

Well then that leaves us with tactical moving and dodging, doesn't it? I would only use shoot shielding (for the lack of a better name) with pumpless guns (i.e. splashzooka or power pak) when you're near a QFD but otherwise it just makes you have to pump again, either that or you need really good aim and timing. Then again, simple dodging often lets a few drops around you, the best would probably be to hide behind a tree, wall, car, etc.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:53 pm

If you have fast reflexes, shielding with your gun actually makes it harder to dodge away and easier to get nailed by a tap shot taken in a rapid series or shots. I would say that cutting left or right works better than blocking with a gun because you can respond to enemy moves and enemy tap shots more easily, especially when you're facing mulitple enemies.

Deflecting a stream would require a huge shot and you better either know tap/pump or have long [minutes, not seconds] shot time of that nozzle. Otherwise you'll block the first only to face the next with an empty pressure chamber. I'd rather dodge and save the water.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:11 am

Agreed, shielding hasn't really worked for me, even though I've only used my blaster. The water still can go over, around, and sometimes in between, and getting a full shield makes it harder to move obviously, and water can still get around. (and if the opponent has a decent gun he/she can break it) After reading a review about the shield blaster and knowing the stream wasn't as bad as most people had assumed it would be when passing by (If I knew you squeezed it like a pump, I myself might not have been so skeptical), I wonder if the shielding will have any good use now. Good for small streams from modern hasbro guns lol, but probably won't work on real guns. (bad pun)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare