I Have an Idea

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:16 pm

Not too many people take water warfare seriously. I was begining to think if there was a way to get water warfare out there on a large scale, and I just thought of the solution. I think we, The Ridgewood Militia, NEED to film one of our wars. Today both teams pulled off very good tactics. It would have been awesome to have gotten it on tape.

But, after filming it and editing a bit as well, we can post the video all over the internet. Such as well known sites like Youtube, metacafe... Eventually people will see it and hopefully draw new members in, maybe even some old members. They will come to Soakerdom interested in the fighting aspect.

Edited By NiborDude on 1152389809
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:44 pm

How about posting the currently existing war videos onto one of those websites? Might be a good idea to have a trial run. Of course, you'd have to re-encode the Soakfest video, and that might be a problem. :;):

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:09 am

I already thought of that, however no offense to the videos, but they suck. All it'll get us on any website would, be slander.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:31 am

The Soakfest video isn't all that bad, although the camerawork/editing is shaky/choppy.

The soakfest movie was a refresher for how we compare to M4's team. I saw a lot of non-painted soakers in that... :p
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Stencil

Post by Stencil » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:05 pm

Hey, it might depend the size of your camera, but why not make a helmet cam, simply by taping the camera to a helmet.

Attach it to the side not to the top. If it's on the top then u'll just see the sky.

urbanfighter7

Post by urbanfighter7 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:29 pm

It probly would get wet and get ruined.It would be a good viedo though.Exept all the bushes and reeds and that stuff that people would see when had been hiding in the war. :D
My Armory:
CPS 1000
CPS 1500
CPS 2500
Douchenator
APH!

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:24 pm

I wouldn't use my own camera for that. :p

EDIT: Hit post instead of smilie...oops...

We are going to have a non-combatant cameraman do the filming, so that the angles will be better and so that no one will shoot the camera by accident. The problem with a camera on your head is that you would see a whole lot of ground, reeds, and it would shake a ton. Much of the team takes TV Production, so shaky shots are unacceptable to us.

Edited By Duxburian on 1152480490
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:37 pm

The soakfest movie was a refresher for how we compare to M4's team. I saw a lot of non-painted soakers in that...

I never saw how painting made too much of a difference. You might be hard to see in one place, but you'll stick out real bad in a lot of others. There's also no correlation between painting water guns and skill as far as I'm concerned. If you want my opinion on it, that "hardcore" or "elite" angle would turn people off. I'm not kidding. If anything is going to be "slander," I think that would be it. Just my thoughts.

As for camera work, if you'd like to make your own video, you can get a cheap digital video camera from CVS: http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/20 ... ide_1.html

The new ones require some serious hacking to get to work without going to CVS for processing, but other than that you have a camera with fairly good video quality for cheap. It doesn't matter if it breaks or gets wet because it's only $30.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:27 pm

A painted soaker is almost always harder to see than a non-painted soaker regardless of the terrain. From High Point, you can see bright soaker colors up to a half mile away. Even in the densest of terrain, stock soakers really stick out and give away your position in an instant. The only real exceptions are open fields and backyards, where camo and blending in don't make any difference. Skill and painting don't have any relation, but painting can imply that a team really knows how to blend in and ambush.

You haven't seen how painting makes much of a difference because you have different wars in different places. Fighting with us is like ambush duty in Vietnam, especially at Waterbridge, where the most action takes place through the reeds. Camo-painted soakers make a HUGE difference for my team.

We would prefer to keep the camera dry, and have higher quality videos. Many of my friends have prosumer or industrial grade cameras [$1000-5000], so we are big on quality. My own is a regular consumer grade, so we would only use that if no one else has their's available. We will film one of the larger battles, since in smaller ones we can't spare a man for that.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:12 pm

I don't mean to nitpick, but I am prity sure that Vietnam ambush battles would be a whole different level than hobby toy gun wars. Not to mention green berret military training. Terrain in Tropical wood areas are also more brutal than what we have here in north america. Reeds alone would not be much for the comparison. just pointing it out since there certainly would be alot of Vietnam Veterans who would respond unpleasant at such a comparison. So just a heads up. :;):

However, from the sound your group seems somewhat close to many Airsoft terrain battles in their style. Some film their battles to. I would recomend having a good camera with a zoom that uses a tripod. The tripod is probably even more relevant than the quality of the camera. Some INDI movies are shot with a basic digital camera, but use tripods.

Edited By ZOCCOZ on 1152491151

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:25 am

Tripods are not smart. You don't have time to set them up. Maybe a mono-pod, but they cost a lot for good quality ones.
Soaker Media

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:53 am

There are different tripod versions. Some brands can be "snapped" ready. Others take just some few seconds to be set up. Then of course there is the camera on a customized pole used by people who are to broke for a tripod. Some even use old crutches to attach the camera on it. The wonders of ducktape.
Well, its either that or shaky and jerky camera movements.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:34 pm

I'm technically a professional camera man. I work for companies filming things, infact I just got done doing behind the scenes for a Hollywood movie staring Vanessa Williams and Eartha Kitt. Trust me when I say I won't be shaky.
Soaker Media

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:31 pm

I don't mean to nitpick, but I am prity sure that Vietnam ambush battles would be a whole different level than hobby toy gun wars. Not to mention green berret military training. Terrain in Tropical wood areas are also more brutal than what we have here in north america. Reeds alone would not be much for the comparison. just pointing it out since there certainly would be alot of Vietnam Veterans who would respond unpleasant at such a comparison. So just a heads up.

^Not to be nit-picky, but I believe reeds are much for the comparison. Also, our local teams do not do "hobby toy gun wars", unless you consider the following brightly colored plastic kids' toys:

Edited By Duxburian on 1153103726