An actually good fortification. - some relation to Duxburian's TT article.

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Maddermadcat

Post by Maddermadcat » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:46 pm

The roof of my building's pool is in my opinion a great place for an HQ. It's served as such for every summer-long campaign I've had. The roof looks like some sort of patio... It has short walls around the edges, tall enough to make for good cover, and short enough for you to be able to fire on the attackers effectively. Height does give an advantage. Gravity makes it difficult for them to throw and aim at us as accurately as we can at them. Also, it's difficult for the attackers to get inside. The front side gives them no way to get up, the left has stairs, but the way onto the actual "patio" is partially blocked by a short gate, meaning that to make it over they're have to climb over the gate, giving us ample time to notice, then soak them. Another difficulty about making it through the left is that the stairs spiral, and they are blocked by another gate at the bottom. The back is right up against another building's wall, so it's impossible for them to make it through.
The right side is the only weakness I've noticed. It faces the driveway. Although it's easy to notice the enemy, it doesn't provide any advantages... It's at the same height as the patio floor, and merely has a short wall as cover. The good part is that the enemy doesn't have any advantages either.
So... Comment, discuss my choice, give me ideas to fortify the right side of the patio more, etc.
The nonsensical leader of the Snow Cats.
Now the proud owner of a flash flood with an aquapack!

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:15 pm

It sounds decent...but exactly where are all the actual entrances to the roof? Is there a gate in the wall next to the patio, or must you use the winding staircase? However, this isn't too important a question, and the rest of the information makes it sound fine. Just remember to not leave a ton of stuff there and get tied down--you need to keep moving to hold the initiative, and if you just leave a ton of equipment behind, the enemy will grab it all.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:10 pm

In my experience, fighting in, on, or in close proximity around houses is a Bad Thing. The risk of collateral damage is high, and (for the most part) it annoys people (I'll tell y'all sometime about the crazy mother who insisted that the water we'd shot out of her garage had turned approximately 180 degrees and flow BACK IN). Yards, streets, playgrounds, and woods are all great places for fights.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:59 pm

Believe it or not, I have fought more years of roof-top fighting than in the woods! I have 6 years of experience fighting from a roof, so here's some advice if you plan on using one:

Stash ample water supplies. Enemies will have infinate supplies on the ground, but you won't be able to replenish yours.

Stay away from the sides. A smart enemy will make a coordinated ambush attack wherein two come right up to the building's wall, one attracts your attention, but the other waits unnoticed further away for an unwelcome surprise. Make sure you can see all of the walls below your position at all times.

Roof fighters are sitting ducks for a double hose attack. Basically, the attackers on the ground attach two hoses, then set them up from opposite sides. The crossfire can be devestating and cover a whole section of roof.
However, even one hose can be lethal to a roof defense. Bring cover of take cover, if they get one, you're screwed depending on the power of the hose and hose nozzles.

Watch out for random water balloon assaults. A person standing on a roof is quite a target for a water balloon. Make moves quickly and be alert for a balloon out of nowhere at any moment.

Set up traps or large guns near entrances up to the roof. Once an enemy gains the roof, it becomes next to impossible to force them back. A smart enemy will coordinate this with an attempt at gaining the roof and a side ambush from below while the defenders are distracted.

Switch positions and move around a lot. If you tend to stand in one place, that makes it easier for the enemy to make an attack from ground level and actually score a kill/get you wet, depending on if you are playing this for points or total soakage. A smart enemy can theoretically win without even attempting to gain the roof.

Water balloon launchers and/or slings are as deadly, if not more so, than a hose. Watch out for these.

That's about it. Just make sure you cover the entrances, be alert at all times, and be aware that an enemy on the ground can still win in grand style if they know what they are doing.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:03 pm

This might not be possible depending on where you are, but putting a tarp a few feet above the roof, lay down (hope you know what I mean) poke your gun out, and shoot, you're virtually invincible, unfortunately, as soon as the enemy catches on and goes out of range/right beside the walls, this tactic doesn't work, but, WB lobs don't work against you, unless they throw 'em straight at you, which is still hard to hit you. If the enemy goes right beside the wall, they can't hit you, you might also want to try barricading the entrance, make sure you can get down, but make it difficult for your enemy to get up.

Edited By supersoaker on 1149732287
:flashflood: :soaked:

hehe...
You don't want supersoaker as your enemy!

Maddermadcat

Post by Maddermadcat » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:00 pm

I don't fight by houses. This place is far enough from the actual apartment building to not bother anyone.
I think some people got the wrong idea... The walls are on the actual roof. However, you have to climb over another short gate and wall to get to the staircase.
To get inside, you must climb over a wall of some size somewhere... There is no open entrance to it. Hoses are also impossible, because attaching your own hose around the building is not allowed. If I'm able, I'll take some pictures of the base.
The nonsensical leader of the Snow Cats.
Now the proud owner of a flash flood with an aquapack!