Tap/Pump

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
DX

Post by DX » Fri May 12, 2006 8:51 pm

Ok, if you don't play 1HK, this probably does not apply to you. If you do, important information coming your way:

Tap/Pump

The most blatantly obvious 1HK strategy there is. This involves two concepts, one called tap shots and one the elimination of capacity stats.

Tap Shots:
Very obvious. By tapping the trigger very briefly, you produce a short burst of water. In 1HK, that is all you need. Why waste more? "Tap shot" generically applies to any kind of short shot, not necessarily the shortest possible. Well I am referring to the shortest tap possible. A skilled CPS 2000 user can pull off 6-7 tap shots per full shot. Likewise, a CPS 2500 user could get 10-15 from a single full shot. But in this tap/pump strategy, forget about full shots and forget about shots per tank. If you commit to this strategy, those stats no longer apply to you. Read on...

Elimination of Capacity stats:
The essence of this strategy is to take a tap shot, pump back to full pressure, take another shot, pump back, etc. Pumping back up only takes 1-5 pumps depending on the gun. This stretches out your time on the field before refilling, often to over an hour. My usual is 1 and a half hours without refilling, and my record is 3 hours! This negates "shots per tank" because you are not taking full shots. It also eliminates "shot time", because you are tap shooting. In addition, when you think about it, you should never run out of pressure. Pumping back up after every tap shot or two means you are nearly always at 3/4 to full pressure thoughout the entire battle. From this day onward, you must never run out of pressure again. Never! :angry: Using this strategy, running out of pressure or even getting down to half becomes a rather n00bish and embaressing thing to do.

Note Well: This strategy does not work with extreme differences in shot time. Such as 5 minutes vs 5 seconds. For those who don't face 10 minute shooting CPH homemades, don't worry. :goofy: I have yet to encounter a gun with long shot time myself. To me, long shot time is like 10 seconds. :p

Also realize that when you use tap/pump, you are making capacity in general a non-issue. That frees up your mind to worry about more important things. Unless you're not a commander, in which case you think about nothing except what you're told. :p

Wow-my shortest article to date.

Edited By Duxburian on 1147485155
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat May 13, 2006 9:06 am

Short 'n' simple articles are sometimes more useful to those wanting to improve their skills, but not knowing where to start.

Side thought: with respect to tap shots, don't you find a decrease in actual shot range if the shot is too short? Perhaps on decently thick-enough streams, the effect isn't to much, but on smaller streams, too short a shot results in earlier stream break-up, thus loss of range (at least, from my experience).

@ Duxburian: with respect to articles you post here on the iSoaker.com Forums, may I repost them on iSoaker.com or do you prefer having them left in the forums only?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 13, 2006 9:56 am

Nearly all of my guns have medium-large outputs. In fact, I have more 50x streams than 1x streams! So I have no idea how this affects small streams, to be honest. :p

You may repost anything I post here. :cool:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat May 13, 2006 10:47 am

I use tapshots exclusively when fighting, unless I want to put down some suppression fire, er, water. Or if I'm tracking someone moving in front of me, and I don't want to take the time to change aim and fire again. Those are the only ones where I fire for longer than a second.

Good article. Fleshes out a really basic concept and explains why it's useful.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.