Team Rank and Duty Terminology - ^

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:14 pm

Forget positions as a fixed role in water warfare. That's too archaic. However, teams do need a team (or squad) captain/leader for making key decisions during a battle. As the teams being discussed will generally be small in size (2, 4, 8 or up to 16), only two or three ranks are really needed.

Ranks:
Captain / Leader
Squad Captain (if team is split up during a battle)
Private

In general, I still prefer to add the term 'Soaker' or something water-war related in front of those rank terms. If anyone has suggestions on a better term, please post up ideas.

Roles/duties are another thing, though terminology here should be as descriptive of the role as possible.

Roles/Duties (likely incomplete list)
active offense/attacker
point-man
scout
tanker
defender/guard

Team members may toggle between duties as situations require. The above just list some duties that are currently coming to mind.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DX

Post by DX » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:00 pm

One has to be careful, since there is a difference between a team and a squad, when it is within one team. If a team has a squad system, the two terms are not interchangable, and mean different things when said verbally. Same for captains and commanders, although in this team, captains have the full powers of commanders in emergencies or splits.

Funny post back there, iSoaker. :laugh: But the RM team set-up is only the beginning! Just wait until I have time to post new tactics articles: offensive defense, defensive offense, "halfway" guerilla warfare, and unconventional fighting tricks! :p My old favorites, echelon attacks and obliquing, seem so silly compared to what I am capable of thinking-up now!

Actually, I have been considering writing up a guide specially for fun unconventional tricks when you want to mess with your enemies' heads. Maybe "Unconventional Water Warfare: Have Great Fun and Win Battles at the Same Time!"

Would the community like to see such an...um...unconventional guide? I will more than willingly write one if there is interest.

Edited By Duxburian on 1143688168
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:33 pm

Heck yeah we wanna see it! I'd be even more interested if said tactics could be transmogrified to real warfare. Is there such a possibility? If not, I'm still extremely interested.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:04 pm

The only problem is that real war is much, much more complex. Plus, our tactics assume infantry only. Air/naval/tank power in modern military forces can easily negate this stuff. Simply put, war no longer takes the type of skill it used to, since you can just blow up targets from a ship 2000 miles away or call in an airstrike. I could, however, relate the tactics to older wars with older technology.

The tactics are best for two opposing land armies locked in a battle of wits between their commanders. Much like a football game, actually. If I were a coach, I would run the most bizarre plays you could think of, because when used right, the unexpected = victory.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:40 am

I realize 'team' and 'squad' have non-interchangable meanings if a team is split into squads during a battle, each squad with its own sub-commander. Reading more unconventional tactics would be a great thing. I'm hoping that these and other articles will help inspire more people to try out organized water warfare on top of the general soak-fests the average person has been involved in.

The reason I've been asking for feedback on terminology is to try to have a good set of terms the membership likes that will be used when writing up articles. Initial articles will be written for those with little or no true water warfare experience. Later articles will include more advanced strategies and such, but need to start at the beginning in order to try and motivate others to test it out. I feel many don't try more organized games either from fearing it is hard to set-up or just from not really knowing how to set up a more organized battle.

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:26 pm

Unconventional Tactics Guide?? YES, please! That sounds awesome. Deliver the goods as soon as you can. :cool:
Nintendo: Ha, we have Sonic!
Microsoft: Yeah, but we got Rare.
Nintendo: .................................................................****!!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:27 pm

After Dux's post, not much other feedback on this thread's original point has occurred.

Are people then happy with the following minimal rank system?

------------------------------
Ranks:
Water War Captain / Leader
Water War Squad Captain (if team is split up during a battle)
Water War Private

------------------------------

For those wondering why I even bother putting in the term 'Water War' in front of the ranks, well, it's since I'd like to note that these guide, tactics, etc. are being tailored to suit water warfare games. Though some things may be applicable to other games (or actual combat), I'd still prefer to keep articles here properly slanted towards water warfare and not being confused with real warfare. Goals here are to soak the opponent, unlike actual combat wherein the goals are rather different.