Help choosing positions

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
jimmsoaker

Post by jimmsoaker » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:23 am

Well I'm having a big battle this saturday with my cousins. It's a boys Vs. girls battle (don't ask it was thier idea). And I'm trying to choose positions for my team. Heres what I got

Me: WW Blazer (Captain/Strategist)
Sean: CPS 1200 (Forward or heavy forward)
Matt: XP 270 (Sniper)
Ricky: WW lightning (Scout)
Mike: WW Blazer (Base/Water supply defense)

What do you think? I tried to choose as best I could with consideration of what guns they own.

Also does anyone have any tips on what we should do to count hits. I was thinking of taping a piece of paper to peoples shirts.

Well thats all
:soakon2:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:35 am

In my opinion/experience, "positions" are rarely used/useful. Just make sure everyone can handle their gun effectively, and if you're going to assign tasks, do it on the fly.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

jimmsoaker

Post by jimmsoaker » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:53 am

Adrian wrote:In my opinion/experience, "positions" are rarely used/useful. Just make sure everyone can handle their gun effectively, and if you're going to assign tasks, do it on the fly.

Adrian
Yes but there are some positions you need like base defense

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:59 am

Not necessarily. If during a waterfight (that involves enough people on my team to allow for leaving someone behind) I believe the other team will attempt to attack our fort to damage supplies or lay in ambush for us, I'll just say "someone stay here." I don't appoint people to certain positions. My team has always been run, unintentionally, like a militia.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:51 pm

Blazer has good range. I would suggest you get someone with the WW Blazer to be the sniper. It'll be nice if you can be flexible, everyone should be be ready to take different positions whenever needed. you yshould be the cap'n of coarse. Make sure they know their guns. Judging position by weaponary isn't wise either.
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:27 pm

My team functions exactly like Adrian's, except that we purposely run it like a militia. We have no "positions", and our members know what role to fill, when, and when to switch to another.
Yes but there are some positions you need like base defense

Go baseless! I don't understand how people don't grasp this idea. If you have no base, the enemy is forced to engage your team in open battle, and you can often choose a superior strategic position. You can also raid their base and they would not have anything to retaliate against.

Blazer has good range. I would suggest you get someone with the WW Blazer to be the sniper.

I would not snipe with a gun with range lower than 50 ft. and with average stream velocity. The speed at which the stream reaches its target is often more important than the range. Most stock water guns have bad speed [faster speeds are very difficult to dodge].

You might not even need to do any sniping, and if you do, it will be spur of the moment and someone should fill the role only for that moment. A team with no assigned positions [and no base] has huge advantages over a conventional team.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:51 am

Lt.Winters wrote:I would suggest you get someone with the WW Blazer to be the sniper.
The CPS 1200 is a great sniping gun. It owns the WW Blazer. However, I must say that you might not need a sniper. It takes alot of coordination as a team to be able to work with a sniper without either the team, or the sniper being cut off and ambushed. Also, I think the XP 270 is a good scouting gun... but...
You really need to chose based off of what their fighting skills are like more so than guns. If the guy with the 1200 has no stealth at all, or can't operate alone very well and make decisions on his own then you should get someone else for a sniper (if indeed you need that position). You need to ask questions about the people concerning their positions. Undoubtably your battle has already been finnished, but this is just some good general knowledge you can use for another battle. I'm working on making a section for every position on Hydrowar. Right now I have a page for scouts, snipers, and rangers. I'm working on artillery right now.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:36 pm

Only use snipers as a pre-assigned position if you have alot of people other wise just forget a sniper.
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:46 pm

You should never assign positions! Let your team fill whatever positions are necessary at the time! A team that uses position-switching will crush a team with assigned positions. Absolutely CRUSH them. I don't understand why everyone always talks about pre-assigned positions. If you can fill a role, do it, then switch back or switch to another depending on the situation. Never be stuck with one or two! Your gun and skill should tell you which positions you are able to fill, and there should be a lot of options. Assigning positions is as antiquated as always building a base in a war. Why use this outdated system that is filled with flaws?
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:12 am

You should never assign positions! Let your team fill whatever positions are necessary at the time!

I'd say 'Never say never!' :goofy:

I agree that teams should have flexibility and players should take on roles if the scenario requires it, but there is also a place and time where assigning positions helps get things initially more organized and avoids conflicts or disputes regarding who should be doing what. It is true that for every player, based on his/her ability, they be able to take on a wide variety of positions. However, sometimes it's good to figure out who should be assigned for a certain duty in general though, of course, specific situations may force them into doing another role as well.

Assigning rough positions with back-up assignments may help some groups organize the chain of command more readily. All groups, even ones that try to be as equal/democratic as possible, need some sort of leader for tight situations to make the call of whether to stay or regroup. Trying to call a vote in the middle of a skirmish is unfeasible and not having general consensus can lead to more of the group getting unnecessarily soaked. Voting and group decisions during non-combat times works, but in the heat of a soaker battle, it is often best to rely on the most combat-experienced player to make the call from the group.

As for other positions, it can be good for some players to have more specific duties assigned as they can gear their thoughts more into fulfilling their role instead of trying to be a jack-of-all-trades. Flexibility is important if a situation demands it, but specific duties in general can yield great results, too. If a player has in mind to give suppression stream support to his allies, he can take on the position and role to provide good cover fire while his allies engage more head on. With his allies feeling that that job is being looked after, they can move in for a soak with more confidence someone is watching their back.

The only time all-purpose role flexibility works is when a group is very combat experienced and has worked together many, many times that their roles in various situations are almost instinctive. For newer groups or less experienced groups, positions can help the group organize.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .: