Newsletter? - Is it worth it?

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:38 pm

What I posted so far [at SM] about this:
[3 posts merged together]

Is it worth it to make a new attempt at a Soakerdom-wide newsletter? I know they have all failed miserably in the past, except maybe ANN, which I don't know too much about.

If we made a new newsletter, it would be from an impartial position covering all of the community. It would have a NY Times-like format with important things going on as the headlines, exactly like a real newspaper. This would be a great opportunity to put new sites in the spotlight, get important messages around soakerdom [like reset your SSC password], keep people up to date on the happenings of the major companies, and keep up interest in the soaking community.

I was thinking of using a real newspaper format. The frontpage headlines would read, for example: "iSoaker to update Galleries" , "Wild Boys releases new site" , "SSCentral switches hosts" , and etc. There would be a few sections, like:

A section for Hasbro/BBT related news
A section for Tech news
A section for soaker reviews [new reviews each issue]
A section for articles [Opinions]
A section for speculation and previews on new sites

Of course there would be at least 2 editors and an array of "reporters." We need to find people that are interested in helping out, and a name for this newsletter.

Wetmonkey's response: I think a Soakerdom-wide neswletter would be a great idea. It needs to be well thought however, and should be written and composed by five or six people one or two from each forum. I think this would be help to expand and strengthen the community.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:21 pm

Well, if there is enough news, a newsletter works. The hard thing is to get articles and people to browse around and find out what's new and good to report in the various known and lesser known water warfare sites. I'd do what I can to offer various forms of advertising support for such a creation, but have no time to really get hugely involved in its creation/editing. A newsletter, like any other thing on the net, works only as well as the ones who are willing to put the energy into it. If there is enough dedicated individuals with the available time and interest on their hands, it can be successful. Just depends how it is done and how the articles are written.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:47 pm

If you make a newsletter then start with it next year, don't start as the season is winding down. It'd be good if the first was on new soakers and then the next was at the beginning of soaking season...etc.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:04 pm

This will take a lot of time to organize, plan, and put together. It should help give members something to do and look forward to over the off-season.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Belisaurius
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Belisaurius » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:43 am

That may have been one of the problems with the one I started: it did start in October... or was it November lol!? I can't vow any contributions, though I can always try, but I can offer the two or three newsletters I wrote last fall and the November Aquatica Newsletter from 2002. Anything in my three is up for grabs, though ask the authors if I didn't do the writing. Otherwise you probably will have to track down the authors for the Aquatica one if you want to reuse it.